M & C appreciation thread 1

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: M & C appreciation thread 1

Post by wpgrace »

SirenSong wrote:
wpgrace wrote:Yeah and ya gotta figure he recognizes something there... that whole not recognize your wife thing stretched credulity for me... even tho she DID smell like a human, blah blah blah!!!
Ahhh that would be the whole intellect vs. instinct war. Instinctually, I think he knew it was Cora. But intellectually, he couldn't believe it because Morgan was human. And since Josef had told him repeatedly that there was no going back to being human, at this point, the intellect was winning the war.

I know and I DO get that argument... and indeed Mick could be soooo gullible around her... as either Morgan or Cora... I mean, really? Morgan plays just like a woman and it isn't a great big neon sigh flashing "CORALINE" and then at the very end she feeds him the vamp genocide story... as if. OK maybe some vamps got zapped in the Terror... but vamp genocide?

C'mon MIck, you KNEW during THAT convo it was Cora... he just cannot resist her, he just cannot... she snaps and he jumps, she speaks and he listens. I find that fascinating; I truly do. She still has power over him... which actually makes her sacrifice all the more meaningful... she KNOWS she still has power over him, and she did not expend it. She couldn't let harm come to him... she LOVES him, truly.

Which is interesting given the Cora hate that goes on... the ONE person on the show who sacrificed for love, who really DID it, was Cora.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

wpgrace wrote: C'mon MIck, you KNEW during THAT convo it was Cora... he just cannot resist her, he just cannot... she snaps and he jumps, she speaks and he listens. I find that fascinating; I truly do. She still has power over him... which actually makes her sacrifice all the more meaningful... she KNOWS she still has power over him, and she did not expend it. She couldn't let harm come to him... she LOVES him, truly.

Which is interesting given the Cora hate that goes on... the ONE person on the show who sacrificed for love, who really DID it, was Cora.
Absolutely! Her sacrificing herself for him was one of the deepest and most meaningful moments in the series. The sheer terror in her eyes spoke volumes as well. And Mick saw it an acknowledged it and was moved by it. I can't understand how some could easily dismiss it and say it was some sort of manipulation. :? I guess because they just blindly hate her and decided from the start that she was pure evil. :roll:

"Damn this man and his eternal hotness!" -SirenSong
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Tho it is interesting there is so much talk about MickBeth as an epic love... and maybe they will be, but so far they have not been.

New love, yes. Sweet romance yes, and intense love. But epic? Haven't seen that yet. Epic implies overcoming hardship and yes, sacrifice. Staying together thru thick and thin...

She nearly dumped him for doing what, a couple weeks earlier, she had done herself... and she came back to him... or let HIM come back... because he has a good memory. No sign yet of overcoming hardship as a couple, or of sacrifice. Could happen, they both have the personality for it, but as of yet, it hasn't happened with anyone but Cora. So that makes the dynamic interesting to me...

Plus Beth acted all put out cos Mick wouldn't turn her boyfriend into a vampire so that she could keep him... yep... not yet epic. And that part still puzzles me... they made some very weird choices with Beth's character in the last 6 shows... up til then, she had been a much stronger character, IMO.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Yep, Mick was moved all right:

As for sacrifice (in terms of Mick/Beth), well, Mick did sacrifice his longed-for humanity in order to save her. As for Beth, I just have to ignore the last four - the writers literally lost the plot.

Mick/Cora were epic. Mick/Beth weren't - but the potential was there, IMO.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

wpgrace wrote:Tho it is interesting there is so much talk about MickBeth as an epic love... and maybe they will be, but so far they have not been.

New love, yes. Sweet romance yes, and intense love. But epic? Haven't seen that yet. Epic implies overcoming hardship and yes, sacrifice. Staying together thru thick and thin...

She nearly dumped him for doing what, a couple weeks earlier, she had done herself... and she came back to him... or let HIM come back... because he has a good memory. No sign yet of overcoming hardship as a couple, or of sacrifice. Could happen, they both have the personality for it, but as of yet, it hasn't happened with anyone but Cora. So that makes the dynamic interesting to me...

Plus Beth acted all put out cos Mick wouldn't turn her boyfriend into a vampire so that she could keep him... yep... not yet epic. And that part still puzzles me... they made some very weird choices with Beth's character in the last 6 shows... up til then, she had been a much stronger character, IMO.
No, certainly not epic, as they were showing some pretty big cracks after just a few dates. :? Also, I didn't see passion there and he was a passionate guy. I saw love and specialness to each other and always wanting to remain in each other's lives but didn't see the passion. He never looked like he wanted to envelop her like he did with Coraline and Lila who he also loved.

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

redwinter101 wrote:Yep, Mick was moved all right:

As for sacrifice (in terms of Mick/Beth), well, Mick did sacrifice his longed-for humanity in order to save her. As for Beth, I just have to ignore the last four - the writers literally lost the plot.

Mick/Cora were epic. Mick/Beth weren't - but the potential was there, IMO.

Red

I agree. I do agree the potential was there, but that we don't know what would have happened... which leaves the door so open to fanfic, now, cos they didn't box the MickBeth relationship in with Sonata... so kinda a good thing, for you creative types. Free reign.

As far as Beth and the Final Four, I actually think they took Beth overboard a bit with LLF... BEFORE Josh died. That comment about "take a vampire wife then" knowing allll she knew about Coraline and how Mick was trying to recover from that... that was not like the Beth who showed up by the tub in the desert. And to me was meaner-spirited even than the "why do you go on living", cos at least then she had the excuse of mourning.

In their effort, I guess, to create a will-they-or-won't-they dynamic, they started screwing with Beth's personality. She became far less attractive to me as a person really beginning with LLF. Didn't love her leaving him in SB, but I got she panicked there... but from LLF on, she got all, well, not-Beth. There were still some lovely MickBeth moments, but that easy, unspoken sense of comraderie and fate seemed broken.

The relationship began to feel forced.. both the good and the bad of it.

Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

Ever so slightly OT. ;) I trust it's safe to say this here without getting hunted by an angry mob. :shock:

We ought to - if we could get Red's permission, naturally - pimp the entire Anniversary series as the second season of Moonlight. :D Who wants to see Beth anyway? :o :lol: I would kill to see the Anniversary series on-screen. I could see / hear it played out as I was reading. Shannyn and Alex could / would do it brilliantly. (As long as they hired Red to write the screenplay, everything would be fine. Better than fine.) ;)
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

Sounds good to me Phee! :mrgreen: Really good!

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Ahhhhh!!! I so agree Phee... It was such a huge thing to tackle but Red wrestled that sucker to the ground in brilliant fashion.

The slow development of our Mick, from poor fledgling Mick, was utterly fascinating, mesmerizing to regard. And the growth and development of Coraline's character, forever freeing her from two-dimensionality, was a revelation.

And I agree. MickBeth was a sweet relationship and I enjoyed watching them. And Sophia proved her mettle... I always liked her anyway; she was the one ML actor I already knew about.

But the truly fascinating characters were the three vamps. And fascinating is such an understatement for how captivating they were as characters and how well-played they were by their actors. And Red's series kept them true to character, while showing natural change over time... she ended up right where the show began... (with a little help from Rubicon). So more Moonlight centered around these folks would be a fabulous choice... should the earth suddenly stand still...

And her Mick IS Mick. She has so nailed Mick...which once again did come out right, but I think you are all mature enough to know what I meant... tho Red, if you want to pretend I meant something else, go ahead Sweetie... free one on me!

Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

Ah, people in this thread have such wonderful taste. :D

For the record, I think Sophia is a wonderful actress and a very beautiful woman, it's just that I personally have more interest in learning more about Mick's intense relationship with the beautiful brunette love-of-his-life, than the blonde. Plus, certain writers in the Moonlight fandom have shown a greater capacity to keep the characters "in character" than the pro-writers displayed. Just sayin'. ;)

Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Phoenix wrote:Ah, people in this thread have such wonderful taste. :D

For the record, I think Sophia is a wonderful actress and a very beautiful woman, it's just that I personally have more interest in learning more about Mick's intense relationship with the beautiful brunette love-of-his-life, than the blonde. Plus, certain writers in the Moonlight fandom have shown a greater capacity to keep the characters "in character" than the pro-writers displayed. Just sayin'. ;)

I agree... we have some amazing writers and y'all have often shown more love and understanding of these characters than the show writers ever did... which is why I am such a fic whore... some of y'all's stuff is just way more compelling... tho like Anniversary, I would give my eyeteeth to see some of it on the damn screen!

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I have nothing to add but my :oops: :oops: :oops:

Y'all are so lovely.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

redwinter101 wrote:I have nothing to add but my :oops: :oops: :oops:

Y'all are so lovely.

Red

We're just stating the facts, ma'am... :ugeek: (Mick's Jazz buddy, the one Cora DIDN'T pick)

mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

And so it begins...

I loved how Alex played these scenes, rather innocent. He almost seemed like a boy with a crush. Of course not long after, he was smashing through her window to get to her! :twisted:

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

mwj01 wrote:And so it begins...

I loved how Alex played these scenes, rather innocent. He almost seemed like a boy with a crush. Of course not long after, he was smashing through her window to get to her! :twisted:

Yep. It is just that juxtaposition that makes Cora so interesting... tho from the way he leered at her at the beginning, and swaggered when she crooked her finger at him, we can assume he wasn't innocent, nor usually frustrated in getting the girl... So to see Cora play him so... well she's a pro!

Return to “Mick & Coraline Appreciation”