Putting Out Fire with Gasoline - a Mick video

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Re: Putting Out Fire with Gasoline - a Mick video

Post by librarian_7 »

I always just get chills watching this one. It's PERFECT for Mick.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

cassysj wrote:I think this is the first time I've seen this video. It's just wonderful.
Carol, I'm delighted that you found this! :blinksmile: It's been around a long time and I really get a kick out of hearing that you're seeing if with "fresh" eyes. :snicker: I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :rose:

Lucky - thank you! As you know, it took me quite a while to make it work the way I hoped, so that compliment means a LOT. :hug: :smooch:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Gaaaaah!!! :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :dracula:

Had to watch it again, and now I'm all :weights: :swords: :seesaw: :mob: :celebrate: :cheering:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

In honor of David Bowie's passing--gone too soon, gone too soon--I thought this video would be good to watch again.

And yes, it still gives me chills.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh Lucky, thank you so much! I think David Bowie would have loved this video. Maybe not as much as I do, though. :teeth: I'm so glad this one came up to the top, because it always fires me up. Rawr!! :yahoo:
kath40
Cleaner

Post by kath40 »

WOW! How did I miss this video? Thanks for bumping it up Lucky! :hug:
I love David's passion in his music. This song goes so well with our Mick. :heart:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Thank you, ladies. :ghug: I didn't know if I could bear to watch this today... :hankie: But I did, and I was glad.

I'm really dismayed by the poor quality it's been reduced to on YouTube, so I have a new link which will download the video in about 10-12 seconds, so that you can view in hi-def.

http://www.blamethevampire.com/video/ML ... 0final.wmv
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

It's definitely a good idea to download the hi-def version. :notworthy:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Oh, good!

I remain as blown away by this video today as I was the first time I saw it. Perfect match of music and images.

:heart: :thud: :notworthy:
HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

Add another 'new' fan, Lilly! (I'm only the 148,830th YouTube viewer. :rolling: ) I recognized the song title and given the timing, figured it was the Bowie tune (never heard of another version, anyway). At the time, I was just too bummed about the whole thing to watch, though. But this morning I figured if I listened to Heroes (my fave) one more time, I was just gonna crawl in a hole and give up. Way too much death this week.

Then I remembered seeing this vid title in the active topics, and decided to give it a go. Wow! Am I ever glad I did! :clapping: :notworthy: :clapping: :notworthy: :phones: :dracula: Mick + Bowie = Match Made in TV/Music Heaven! (That's a 'special' section of heaven, btw. :winky: :laugh: )

Others have already commented on what makes this great (timing, image selection, the "rawr"s :snicker: , etc.), but there's one other thing not mentioned that I noticed. By stringing together all his aggressive vamp scenes, you made me gain a new appreciation for "it's been so long." I've always tended to think of Mick's "vamp weariness" as due to his "pre-Moonlight" years (ie, the Cora years) probably mainly because of his line in LLF about "I've done some things..." which made it all sound so "in the past." But by using all the ML footage, you made me see how "day-to-day" his weariness is. In other words, he has to do this (harm people) all. the. time. :Mickangel: ... just to survive and protect the ones he cares about. How depressing. :comfort2:

"You wouldn't believe what I've been through" was probably my favorite line/image combination (that expression on Mick's face in the bed when Cora bites him! Yeah, you've been through it, Mick. :rolling: ).

And my second favorite was the "fear of losing you" line with him carrying Beth away from the car. :hearts: :heart: :hearts:

Will definitely be downloading this one, Lilly. :yes: Soooo much I've missed here over the years, love it when I discover "new" things!!!! :hyper2: Thank you for making this and sharing it. It's obvious it was a labor of love. :ghug:

ETA: Oh, and did I mention the ending? The tear... perfect! :hankie:
~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Thank you SO much, HotMicks! :hug:

I'm thrilled not only that you found the video, but that you connected with it as well. :hearts:

I've loved this song for many, many years and (I know I've said this before) it was the first song that I knew I wanted to use in a video. It just took me some time before I felt I could do it justice. "Putting out fire with gasoline" is such a self-perpetuating concept. And for Mick, there was. no. escape. from what he was. He could go along, day to day, trying to right whatever wrongs he could as a means of redeeming himself, but all too often that involved calling upon that part of himself he hated most. And just when he thought he had escaped the cycle, he was forced to rekindle that terrible fire to save the one he loved.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

Wow. I'm amazed that somehow I never saw this video before. Very glad that I happened by today to notice it!

This is so masterfully done, such a perfect connection with the song. And these images you've chosen have even made me hear this classic song in a different way.

Love the perfect timing, the slow introduction, the explosion into the heart of the song .... and most especially, those wonderfully eerie overlays of flames over the bathtub and turning scenes near the end.

And I have to second Hotmicks' interesting observation .... seeing so many of the violent scenes back to back really makes you have another think about just how much Mick did go through just during the time the show was set in. Which fits absolutely perfectly, of course, with that line from the song.

Return to “Lilly's Fan Vids”