Where in the world was Josef Kostan? Speculation on history

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Where in the world was Josef Kostan? Speculation on history

Post by librarian_7 »

Okay, we really didn’t get much information from the canonical episodes about Josef’s past life.

Here’s what we know for sure:

He was born in 1599. We don’t know where, don’t know the circumstances. (From “The Ringer”)

He must have been turned in the 1620’s some time. (Speculation, based on apparent age.)

When he met Lola, she was “raising a pirate army.” This could take place almost any time, but the golden age of piracy was from about 1670-1720, give or take. (B.C.)

He was chased by a torch-bearing mob, and he mentions the 1720’s in close proximity to that reference. (NSTAV)

He met Coraline in New York City, and “Lincoln was president” at the time, so early 1860s. (“The Ringer,” again.)

Later in the 19th century, say 1880s, 1890s or so, he was in Afghanistan--the British were there. Note: this could have been anywhere between 1839-1919, so it's pretty loose. (Sleeping Beauty)

He was in Hollywood at a time to date Jean Harlow, and Greta Garbo, so, late 1920’s, early 1930s. (“Click”)

And of course, he was in New York City again, as Charles Fitzgerald, in 1954, when he met and courted Sarah Whitley. Her unfortunate unsuccessful turning took place in April, 1955. (“Sleeping Beauty”)

He was resident in Los Angeles in the first half of the 1980s, and quite the party animal at that time. He went to the Superbowl with Mick in 1982, and lost a million dollars. (NSTAV, OOTP).

That gives us a very rough timeline, with a whole lot of holes!

So…you’ve read fic, you’ve written fic. What do you think? And remember—this might be a great place to spawn some ideas for new fic, too!

Let's hear thoughts and ideas...given Josef's personality, etc., where do you see him at various times, and doing what? (Besides the obvious--I'm pretty sure Josef has a good time wherever he goes.)

Lucky
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Where in the world was Josef Kostan? Speculation on history

Post by redwinter101 »

Well I've imagined Josef (in fic) as the son of a Roman goldsmith - just cos it appealed to me and because it was kind of separate from the common themes in vampire lore (i.e. nothing Eastern European). It's a time period rich with decadence but also a time of change and conflict - plenty of opportunity for a young Josef to learn some interesting life lessons.

I'd love to read more about Josef in Hollywood though - a Jean Harlow story would be fantastic. The combination of debauchery, glamour, corruption and cocktails, a time of expanding horizons is just too juicy...

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Josef also visited Afghanistan, when the British were there. So he's been popping around the old countries too not so long ago...

And he met Cora when Lincoln was prez... did he say in New York??? Did he even say where??
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

He said New York...Lincoln was president. Honest. (This being pretty much the whole basis for my current multi...)

I'd forgotten the Afghanistan thing! Will have to add that in!

Lucky
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Help me out here - when/where was the Afghanistan reference?

Red

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Red - Sleeping Beauty, when Mick's asking Josef about Martan.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

He said that in SB, Red... cause his would-be killer had been in special ops there. So Josef thru in his own Afghan moment... with no details.

ETA: Jinx, Pgal!!

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thank you, dear ladies *off to watch SB again...*

Red :smooch:

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I edited the OP with dates, Red...but it's pretty loose.

Lucky
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

librarian_7 wrote:I edited the OP with dates, Red...but it's pretty loose.

Lucky
Ah the perils of empire... :giggle:

Red

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I've been putting together some ideas for a Lola-pirates story, set in the 1700's. I've always wondered if Josef sailed with Lola, and if so, what sorts of adventures they had... :chin:

I figure Lola would hijack ships, sell the cargo, hold the wealthy passengers for ransom, and eat the crew and the poorer passengers. She couldn't have had too many vampire pirates on her ships, as it would make sailing by day awfully difficult. So we can assume that maybe the boat captains were vamps, but most of the sailors were human. What would life have been like for a sailor in Lola's pirate army? How much did they know, and were they used as freshies (or "salties" perhaps) when it had been a while since a ship had been captured?

Would Josef have captained a ship, or perhaps acted as her agent in port, handling the aforementioned cargo and ransom business? I'm getting an image of Josef living on a plantation in Jamaica, not too far from Kingston... :teeth:
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Ahhhh... so Josef would be a slave-owner? Tricky business, eh? Would hardly have been able to contend with a plantation, and the other plantation owners, without slaves in the day... :chin:

We just discovered the proprietor of one of the historic houses, where I used to work, owned a couple slaves. Someone finally poured thru every ledger and at one point, he noted, "bought 12 crates of pottery, ordered 5 bolts of silk, bought a boy Jim, bought a small boy, traded for a new horse." :gasp: So... hmmmmmm. Reality sucks.

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I can imagine Josef owning slaves... but now that you mention it, I figure being a landowner in a hot climate would be more hassle than he might have liked...
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

And A LOT of sun... tho if Lola is a pirate... well, they tended to frequent warm, sunny climes too...

eris
Sire

Post by eris »

I'd imagine he lived somewhere within the British Empire as a human (which, when he was human, narrows it down to roughly "Earth" :snicker: Yes, red, that's hyperbole. Don't smack me.) because of the Elizabeth reference. Plenty of piratey places there.

Return to “Josef Kostan”