Origins of Josef's Surname

Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

Re: Origins of Josef's Surname

Post by Tam »

Today, I discovered there's a village called Kostanjevica ("place of chestnuts") in Slovenia. I don't speak any slavic languages, but as a linguist can attempt the educated guess is that this means 'Kostan' is Slovak for 'chestnut'. (compare Dutch: 'Kastanje').

I find pretty interesting that the town is linked in wikipedia with invasions of the Ottoman army, as this was once lead by Sultan Mehmet II, who also conquered Constantinople and fought and was defeated by [wait for it...] Prince Vlad III Dracula of Wallachia.

Two famous Josef's are also connected to the town- Emperor Joseph II of Habsburg and Josef Ressel (who lived there).

This in case this interest any of you. :chin: I'm not saying it means anything!

I like all of our different versions too. When I was looking for inspiration for a halloween decoration I made a grave with 'Iosef Augustin Balthazar' - but he could have had so many different names in the course of 400 years!!

Now that I have found out about this village though, I think a past!Josef fic is due, with him either being Lord of Castle Kostan ( :bat: ) or having a Slavic lover / sire calling him 'my little chestnut' ( :snicker:)
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

that's fascinating, Tam. Thanks for that.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

VERY interesting thread!! :twothumbs: How cool is this fandom? :biggrin:

Tam...your avatar is to DIE for!! Just gorgeous!! :happysigh:
*Christy*

Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Tam »

wondergirl9847 wrote:VERY interesting thread!! :twothumbs: How cool is this fandom? :biggrin:
VERY cool, I'd say!! :ghug:
wondergirl9847 wrote:Tam...your avatar is to DIE for!! Just gorgeous!! :happysigh:
Thanks :) The whole image in a large version, as well as several others, can be found in my Studio (Calendar Project 2010) :curtesy:
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

checking out names in the 1500's.....I wrote a short. (You all inspired me)
1599, A Child is Born (PG13)
http://moonlightaholics.com/viewtopic.php?f=404&t=7636
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

magkelly777 wrote:Constantine is also a Greek name and an old one, which is interesting when you think about all the very ancient vampire legends they have there...
Hey mag! Welcome! :wave:

Constantine is indeed a greek name. An old one, but not an ancient Greek name. It was used by emperors of the Byzantine Empire ( Constantine the Great, Constantine Paleologos). It was used by patriarchs and priests of the Orthodox church, as well. Even in the royal family of Greece in recent years it was often used, and the former king of Greece, is called Constantinos.

Its origin though is latin, Constantinus > from the latin adjective constans, meaning steady, certain.

By the way, I haven't heard of any ancient Greek vampire legends...I would appreciate if you could add some info on that one.. :flowers:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Well, this really ought to go on another thread, but, briefly, the most commonly referenced Greek vampire is the lamia, who was a female figure, generally associated with serpents, who was known for sucking the blood of children. The figure of the lamia, was popularlized in English poetry in the early 19th century.
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

Well, girls...being Greek myself and having studied Mythology in the Athenian University for about 4 years, I can tell you that there is no such thing as vampires in Greek mythology. The word was never used once in out lectures or books. Lamia was a daemon who didn't drink the blood but devoured the whole kid. And having spent a few summers on Santorini in excavations, I can also tell you that the vampire tale is not at all famous there...never even mentioned, but maybe by old wives..not that I ever heard one talking about such an issue..

We have our share of monsters, witches, fairies, demonic creatures, even blood sucking ones- I mean, even Odyssey is a poem of monsterous encounters and symbolisms- there were even real -non mythological- human sacrifices at some parts of the country (Crete and Arcadia) in our prehistory, but , no, vampires sadly..were never our strong point. Maybe a couple of simplistic stories here and there on some island village- uncoscious people being buried and regained cosciousness..but that is all. And...no, we don't really take any vampire tales seriously...never really used any of them as tourist attraction...and it is not an issue that you may listen to while hearing the elders talking about Myths and older times...We do have a heavy folklore, legends that cannot be counted and ...superstitions to spend lives studying on..but the word vampire was not really used...unless by teens talking about Twilight.. :confused2:

To my great disappointment.. :blushing:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Maggatha, even without vampires, Greece has so much rich mythology and folklore that you shouldn't feel left out :comfort2:

Getting back to Josef, I was fascinated by your explanation of the name Constantine. Timing-wise, that name would work for Josef having been born in Greece, or some other part of the former Byzantine Empire. Does anyone know whether there is fanfic that places his origins there? I kinda like the idea of Josef being of the Greek Orthodox or Eastern Orthodox faith originally... :chin:
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

I just thought I 'd add to this thread, that today, 21st of May is the name day of all named Konstantine. It is the name we honour St. Konstantine and Santa Helen.

-It never ends well...
-Never?
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

What a gorgeous picture! (And what is wrong with me, that I'm looking for a resemblance?) :laugh:
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

allegrita wrote:What a gorgeous picture! (And what is wrong with me, that I'm looking for a resemblance?) :laugh:
Nope, that wasn't just you, Alle. I did too! :snicker: And I second your first comment. Absolutely brilliant byzantine illustration.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

I was looking around last night... :whistle: and I found there is a real person living in Salonika, called Ιωσηφ Κωνσταντινου...that is.. :hyper2: Josef Konstan! He owns a real estate agency. And another one , a football player for a small team in the Cyclades. :woohoo:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

:hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2:
I have no idea why that makes me so happy. But it does. :teeth:
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

allegrita wrote::hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2:
I have no idea why that makes me so happy. But it does. :teeth: