Jason in Veronica Mars (Jason tweets tonight! 2/26)

Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Jason in Veronica Mars (Jason tweets tonight! 2/26)

Post by Lilly »

I debated whether or not to start a new topic just for Veronica Mars, but since it really is his second ;) most significant role, I thought it warranted it's own thread. :yes:

----------

Sooooo.... last night -- after a year and four months of making it last as long as I could -- I finally finished watching the last episode of VM. And now there isn't any more... Image

To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect. I'd heard so many people talk about how it "just ended" with no resolution, I expected to be left hanging much more than I was. I guess maybe having prepared myself for the worst, the place it left off didn't seem so awful. It was by no means satisfying, but it wasn't terrible either.

I do remember when this show was on the air. I remember the hype, a fair amount critical acclaim, and it being lauded as "the best show no one's watching." I heard a lot about Kristen Bell, but nothing about that Dohring guy. Anyway, at the time, I couldn't have been less interested. From what I'd heard, it sounded like a whole lot of high school angst wrapped up new millennium Nancy Drew style. I had enough high school angst back when I was there myself -- I sure as heck wasn't interested in revisiting it 20 or *cough*30*cough* years later. Of course, in retrospect, Moonlight didn't sound very interesting to me at first either and I had completely written that off, as well. Image :roll:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Jason in Veronica Mars

Post by cassysj »

I had only seen one episode of Veronica Mars prior to knowing about Jason. The first episode of the third season. When I started to rent the dvds I really didn't like the show but I kept fast forwarding to Logan scenes. I must be honest I did that with about two-thirds of the episodes.

I hated the character of Logan in the beginning but he grew on me halfway thru the first season and by the second season I loved him.

What is interesting is while I was never crazy about "Veronica Mars" I've become quite the fan of Kristen Bell (planning to go see When In Rome this weekend)

I own all three seasons and while will occassionally look at an individual episode it's not like Buffy or Gilmore Girls which I can watch anytime anyplace anywhere. (We're not counting Moonlight because come on I live breathe and sleep Moonlight.)

Jason does a wonderful job with Logan Echolls and I like teen angst shows even 20+ years after the fact. I'm actually surprised I didn't get into VM when it was on because I think it followed Gilmore Girls.

I'd rate it as an okay show with some very good actors. The final episode annoyed me but I wasn't outraged.
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

VM is the only reason I didn't check out of ML early. I was watching the ML-pilot, thought it was awful, and was about to switch the station when "this guy" came on screen. He looked familiar, but I couldn't figure out where I'd seen him before. I wouldn't change the channel until I figured it out (I'm OCD like that :snicker: ) It was close to the end before I figured out that "that guy" was "that guy who played on VM".

It was a little while after that that I figured out who he was playing on the show. The only commercials I'd seen for ML were with the original, older, Josef... which ironically was one reason I wanted to watch ML. His voice reminded me of the man who played Sydney on the Pretender and I wanted to see if it was him. (Patrick Bauchau, but of course it wasn't him).
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Even after I became completely captivated with Josef and the actor who played him, I resisted taking a look at Veronica Mars. I knew a couple of 20-something gals who tried to talk me into it. They raved about it -- and Logan -- but I just wasn't interested. I finally broke down when someone closer to my own age urged me to give it a try. Still, like you, Carol, I had every intention of fast-forwarding to the Jason scenes and pretty much ignoring the rest. For some reason, I didn't expect I'd like Kristen Bell or her character. Much to my surprise, her voice-over caught me right away and I got sucked in.

I really enjoyed the series. It was smart and well-written, the weekly cases were interesting, and the larger mystery arcs were pretty well maintained. IF I had tuned in when it was airing, it would have been a "do not miss" show for me -- and not just because of Jason.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

I came into VM late as well, I think because it was up against something else that I watched at the time, but I know if I'd given it a chance, it would have been on my "must see" list too. Love the acting, the writing and the editing. Other than Moonlight, it's the most quoted show in our house, since my husband and boys prefer it to Moonlight. It's the most borrowed DVD set I own. (Got to do my part to spread the Jason love) I usually end up loaning out the first season, and then the friend gets so hooked, they go out and buy all three seasons. As a result, Best Buy has a hard time keeping it stocked in my area :snicker: :snicker:

I wasn't all that thrilled with the ending, until I watched all the special features and heard what Rob Thomas had to say about the final scenes and his own feelings about the characters.
banner by Cprav
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

IMO, the ending as shown was better than the proposed 4th season (there should be a "teaser" for it in the special features) with Veronica working for the FBI or something like a cheap 21 Jumpstreet knock-off where she'd be undercover in highschools, etc.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Okay, I'm another who totally did not see VM during its run, and came to it out of interest (okay, quit snickering, Lilly!) in Jason developed from Moonlight. I remember reading about it, and wanting to check it out, but I swear my local cable company did not carry a channel it was on. And I also recall thinking, yeah, for all the critical praise, it still sounds like yet another show of interest to the under-20 crowd.

So...after learning to love Josef, I decided to check out VM. I figured it would be one of those, fast forward to the good bits sort of deals, but I got hooked immediately, and watched all the eps in full. (Except one I somehow managed to skip, and am holding out as my "rainy day, gotta have some Jason I haven't seen before" insurance.) I did the first season borrowing from Netflix, then said, the heck with it, and bought all three seasons.

I will say, that after the first ep, I went crying to my friends who'd recommended it--remember those 20-somethings Lilly referenced? same two--and said, "But that Logan guy is SUCH a creep!" They advised me to keep watching. And obviously, I'm glad I did.

I will admit that most of the series I've only watched once, but I think I'm about due for a repeat.

Hey--would anyone be up for a VM discussion group? We could watch an ep every week, starting from the beginning, and discuss? Maybe without the elaborate screencaps of the ML discussion threads, but it might be fun.

Lucky
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Lucky it might be interesting to have a VM discussion. As I said I haven't seen all episodes in full and this might be a way to do that.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I don't have the dvd, but I found some parts online, and I have found the transcripts. I would love to join a discussion. But this site is primarily about Moonlight - is it okay to open up a discussion thread about VM?
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

:snicker: We have connections. :teeth:

Seriously -- if we keep it to one thread, as we have all "past project" discussions for the actors, it's fine with the "management." (Our dear Phoenix has given her OK. :rose: )

Oh -- and I'm in. :twothumbs:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

In that case, count me in too :heart: :heart:
banner by Cprav
moonlight_vixen
Courtesan

Post by moonlight_vixen »

I loved VM! I thought it was clever, and fun to watch. I just fell in love with Jason on that show and the way he portrayed Logan. I was disappointed, however, in how it ended. I wasn't furious as many VM'ers were, but I thought it could have ended a little bit better..

But I'm a huge VM fan :twothumbs:
Banner And Avatar By Me
______________________________________________________________________________________
Proud Josef Exclusive+
Proud Co-Founder Of Maroon-A-Holics
THINK KOSTAN!
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

FYI: Just came across this from the gals at VRO (VampRadioOnline) on BlogTalk Radio.com...

The VRO News
Veronica Mars Flashback on Friday. We just might have a special guest Jason Dohring aka Logan Echolls. E-mail questions for Jason to vro@thevro.com before Feb 2nd 1pm EST.

Anyone got a question? :chin:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
m00nlight_babe
Fledgling

Post by m00nlight_babe »

Bless you, Lilly. I was sitting here thinking should I or shouldn't I post about the Jason questions. :hug:

So far only one person has sent (that I know of) a question in. So there's still time to send them.
Banner by Me, please no snagging
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

My pleasure, M_B -- when it comes to Jason's fans, we're all one big family. :ghug: :hearts:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index

Return to “Past Projects”