Mary Bryant--The Beginning

Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Re: Mary Bryant--The Beginning

Post by Phoenix »

wpgrace wrote:Hmmm... ok... there are DIFFERENT Aussie accents? I am fascinated to hear this... they all sound kinda the same... they all sound cool; Americans love Aussie accents, but I gotta admit I don't hear any different ones. :blushing:

I do hear differences in English accents but wouldn't have a clue where the speaker is from or if the pronunications indicate a particular education... I noticed I could never understand a single word poor Princess Diana or her ex spouse ever said....

I thought Alex, in MB, sounded English but different from the English accents I usually hear... but didn't know if that was because he was doing some particular accent, or if it was an English accent being spoken by an Aussie.... like my French accent is clearly an American, French accent. Clearly.

Oh, and btw, check out the avatar Lilly made, and showed me how to put on.... Lilly oughta get a day off or something for combat pay...
Oh yes, we sound quite different to each other. (Probably a similar principle to the way penguins can tell each other apart...) :snicker:

The English aristocracy is hard to understand. :confused2:

Alex didn't sound Aussie to us, in MB. :no:

Yes, your new avatar is gorgeous ... I commented on it in another thread. :thumbs:

BTW, Lilly just got a 300% salary increase for her MLA mod job. (That was the good news.) The bad news is that triple nothing is still nothing. :rofl2: And the amount the mods are paid, (or not paid, as the case may be), is in no way a reflection of their value, or the incredible amount of work they do around here. :notworthy: :rose:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

redwinter101 wrote:[
Re Princess Di and Charles - that's more to do with dodgy diction IMO. And a restricted gene pool. Just sayin'.

Red
Ya know, Americans suspect this kinda thing--as my husband has said, "THEY'RE supposed to be the top of the heap????"... but we fear we'll sound ignorant if we so say... :pinklol:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Phoenix wrote:
Oh yes, we sound quite different to each other. (Probably a similar principle to the way penguins can tell each other apart...) :snicker:

BTW, Lilly just got a 300% salary increase for her MLA mod job. (That was the good news.) The bad news is that triple nothing is still nothing. :rofl2: And the amount the mods are paid, (or not paid, as the case may be), is in no way a reflection of their value, or the incredible amount of work they do around here. :notworthy: :rose:
Penguins! Funny! :coffee:

Can you all tell American accents apart?

And Lilly earned her pay raise... but to me, you all earn it, every day. You picked the best Phee....

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

MoonMad
Fledgling

Post by MoonMad »

Just jumping in on the accent thing. Phoenix must have great ears because Aussies have very little difference in their accents. Don't feel bad for not being able to differentiate because I can't and I've lived here over fifty years! Now I live in Queensland after living in New South Wales all my life and I can notice a slight difference, but not much at all. I have a friend who was raised in Victoria and she says "cassel" for the word 'castle' whereas we in NSW would say "carstle". It's just little things like that that set Aussies apart.

As for the different American accents...I can differentiate between New Jersey, the deep south and then everyone else. When my hubby and I watched Sopranos we couldn't help ourselves, we repeated just about everything they said including the cuss words in all their glory. It was addictive I tell you. We must have sounded like we were learning another language. :rofl2:

Red, I had assumed that Will's accent was Cornish like Mary's. Isn't that where all the smugglers were, in Cornwall? Am I showing my ignorance here?
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

MoonMad wrote: I have a friend who was raised in Victoria and she says "cassel" for the word 'castle' whereas we in NSW would say "carstle". It's just little things like that that set Aussies apart.

As for the different American accents...I can differentiate between New Jersey, the deep south and then everyone else.

Red, I had assumed that Will's accent was Cornish like Mary's. Isn't that where all the smugglers were, in Cornwall? Am I showing my ignorance here?
Carstle? Really? Fascinating!!!

New Jersey-Americans definitely have a sound of their own... and when I first saw ML, I actually thought Alex was a New Jersey-American. Had no idea he was Australian... but he didn't sound like an LA boy either.

I do Southern history and race relations, well when I worked and curated I did, but at any rate... Southern accents are supposedly the way they are due to the influence upon the evolving English accent of both the Scots and the Irish, who heavily settled in the early Southern colonies, and the Africans, who did as well. Africans had no choice about coming of course, but neither did some of the Irish and Scots...

I'm assuming Australia had a lot of Irish and Scots in the early settlements as well?

Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

wpgrace wrote:... Can you all tell American accents apart?

And Lilly earned her pay raise... but to me, you all earn it, every day. You picked the best Phee....
Yeah, I'm pretty good at picking American accents. :thumbs: And yeah, MLA is honoured by the quality of its moderators...
MoonMad wrote:Just jumping in on the accent thing. Phoenix must have great ears because Aussies have very little difference in their accents. Don't feel bad for not being able to differentiate because I can't and I've lived here over fifty years! Now I live in Queensland after living in New South Wales all my life and I can notice a slight difference, but not much at all. I have a friend who was raised in Victoria and she says "cassel" for the word 'castle' whereas we in NSW would say "carstle". It's just little things like that that set Aussies apart.

As for the different American accents...I can differentiate between New Jersey, the deep south and then everyone else. When my hubby and I watched Sopranos we couldn't help ourselves, we repeated just about everything they said including the cuss words in all their glory. It was addictive I tell you. We must have sounded like we were learning another language. :rofl2:

Actually, I don't have very good hearing, so I have to really listen when people speak, otherwise I miss a lot. Perhaps that's why I notice the accent thing. Don't Queenslanders say "hooray" instead of "g'day"? That's a word thing, not an accent thing, but notable nevertheless. And have you ever been to Adelaide, MoonMad? They have the softest Aussie accents I've ever heard. (BTW, I grew up near the Black Stump, where the men all talked like Crocodile Dundee. The further away from civilization, the thicker the accent...)

I saw a documentary last year, where a linguist suggested that the Aussie accent as we know it probably developed from kids of the same generation as Will & Mary Bryant's kids. (See mods, trying hard to get back on topic.) :snicker: The idea was that there were so many different accents, and the kids were trying to fit together to form a cohesive group, so they developed their own way of speaking that was uniquely their own, and it evolved from there. (It's a theory.)
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Phoenix wrote:[

I saw a documentary last year, where a linguist suggested that the Aussie accent as we know it probably developed from kids of the same generation as Will & Mary Bryant's kids. (See mods, trying hard to get back on topic.) :snicker: The idea was that there were so many different accents, and the kids were trying to fit together to form a cohesive group, so they developed their own way of speaking that was uniquely their own, and it evolved from there. (It's a theory.)

Cool theory. It is interesting to note the accent variation between all the early English colonies... most founded at about the same time with English and it's Isles colonists....

And that's sorta on topic... we are talking about the founding of Australia, really... but if anyone wants to post a pic and get it back to gorgeous WIll... I will not protest!

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Whatever your language, diction, accent, would you mind terribly staying on topic?

Nothing bothers me more than when people veer wildly off-topic. :whistle:

I thought Alex's accent was almost non-existent towards the end of the film. It was so subtle by that point, that I could hardly notice it. Though, he could grunt and groan and it would sound good.

yeah,it would sound reallllly good.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:Whatever your language, diction, accent, would you mind terribly staying on topic?

Nothing bothers me more than when people veer wildly off-topic. :whistle:

I KNOW!!!!!!!! You have always trod the straight and narrow, my Courtesan friend.

I thought Alex's accent was almost non-existent towards the end of the film. It was so subtle by that point, that I could hardly notice it.

Hmmm..... did not notice the vanishing accent... ANOTHER reason to go watch part 2... work work work!

Though, he could grunt and groan and it would sound good.

yeah,it would sound reallllly good.

Yeahhhhhh... it would, wouldn't it?????????

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Watch it again. It did seem to me that his accent softened a bit.

Oh, I have an important question that I forgot to ask yesterday. While watching part deux, my dvr kind of did a little funky thing--and I don't know if I missed a scene or not. When WIll and Mary are in the bedroom in Timor---they are kind of arguing--not the bigger argument where they 'make up'-- they are just standing there and she is saying they need to get ready for dinner--that is when my dvd made a little noise and the next scene showed Mary outside doing her lessons with the governor's wife. Does anyone know if I missed something, or was that the next scene?
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:Watch it again. It did seem to me that his accent softened a bit.

Oh, I have an important question that I forgot to ask yesterday. While watching part deux, my dvr kind of did a little funky thing--and I don't know if I missed a scene or not. When WIll and Mary are in the bedroom in Timor---they are kind of arguing--not the bigger argument where they 'make up'-- they are just standing there and she is saying they need to get ready for dinner--that is when my dvd made a little noise and the next scene showed Mary outside doing her lessons with the governor's wife. Does anyone know if I missed something, or was that the next scene?

I couldn't answer that until I rewatch that part... didn't get to that one yet....

Speaking of making up... you had asked about love scenes in part deux... what did you think, now you've seen it? Part uno really more sexy?

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Yes, I wanted more sexy in Deux. I just wanted more love scenes between the 2 of them. His facial expressions in that scene outside, when they were on the ground, whew--that was good.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Nice big gun

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

For all of you who love MB, I strongly recommend you check out this vid by the fabulously talented silvervintage girls:

Kissing You

Hankies at the ready....

Red
Last edited by allegrita on Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to fix broken link (youtube video)

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

redwinter101 wrote:For all of you who love MB, I strongly recommend you check out this vid by the fabulously talented silvervintage girls:

Kissing You

Hankies at the ready....

Red

Yeah, that vid is more of a tear-jerker for me than the movie itself... where there are lighthearted and fun moments...

But it is absolutely beautiful... truly so.
Last edited by allegrita on Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to fix broken link (youtube video)

Return to “Past Projects”