What Did It for Mostly Five-0?

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

What Did It for Mostly Five-0?

Post by PNWgal »

http://mostlyfive0.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... it-for-me/

Usually I don't feel 99% of blogs out there deserve even a mention, let alone their own thread. But this was so well-wrtten and comprehensive, I strongly encourage folks to read it.

(plus, I didn't know where else to put it. :blushing: )

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: What Did It for Mostly Five-0?

Post by wpgrace »

Cool. I've read some of her fic. :thumbs:

So P, when are YOU gonna do a blog? :biggrin:
You'd be great.... :whistle:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

:hearts: Great blog. Thank you for bringing it here, PGal!
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Thanks, francis! :smooch:

LOL, Grace...I can barely keep up here! But thanks for the confidence booster. :hearts: :smooch:

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Very cool blog. I totally understand her feelings. Like, totally. :hearts:
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

:teeth:

Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Post by Moonlightsonata »

Thank you for posting this. A really well thought out blog with videos and everything.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

PNWgal wrote:Thanks, francis! :smooch:

LOL, Grace...I can barely keep up here! But thanks for the confidence booster. :hearts: :smooch:

I see you as a natural blogger. You'll get there some day....
We'll patiently wait... :winky:

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

:smooch:

I think what I dug about this blog is that I did the exact same thing. Once I found out who that AMAZING guy was in that vampire show, I wanted to know more about him and see his other work. I'd given up on The Shield, so I was thrilled to go back to Season 6 and check out Alex's performance. The more I saw, the more I liked, and the more I wanted to see!

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

I agree. I think it's a frequent Alex experience. :happysigh:

He's sooo cute, so you kinda think you're just responding to that. But there's a lot of cute actors so no biggie... and then you end up obsessing about this one and it's confusing, cuz why? Then you watch another ep, or the ep after that, and you realize he is painting this picture of this character (whatever character he is playing when you first find him; peeps seem to get real stuck on their first Alex character. Here it's ML, but other sites it's 3R, 5-0, or Stan) that is just mesmerizing and that grabs you down deep somewhere. :phew:

So yeah, you go hunting him on the 'net and go hunting other work. And then you're surprised, cuz THAT character is totally different! He is nothing like my new obsession! Do I like this other character? How can he be sooo different? So the quest for all the characters begins. :snicker:

And the amazing discovery of this amazing talent.

And then you find interviews of the real actor, cuz the characters aren't enough. And he's nothing like any of em!

But he's still cute. :winky:

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

:laugh:

I admit - it was the cuteness that got to me right out of the gate. First time I saw a commercial for this new vampire show on CBS, the guy playing the vampire made me sit up and kinda go, "Hey, he's REALLY cute - have I seen him before??" Then he knocked me flat with his acting, and...the rest is history. :teeth:

I haven't quite put my finger on why THIS particular actor grabbed me and didn't let go, but you've come pretty damn close to explaining it, Grace.

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Ah... So are you happy you cannot let go... Or does it make you uncomfortable?

darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Thanks for posting this, P'Gal :hug:

As I read through the blog, I found myself nodding at almost every thing the blogger said (all except for the part about the birthing scene in BUP. I thought that was hysterical and gave Alex a venue to demonstrate his comedic skills). If you ever doubted one potential aspect of the relationship between Mick and Josef, watch the first ep again and the first time we see the two of them together in Josef's house. There's a bit of a peacock dance going on, and the sultry expression on Mick's face is fabulous.

When I saw Moonlight the first time in September of 2007, a couple of things grabbed me. Didn't have a clue who the actor was playing Mick, but yes, he was handsome, and his voice was mesmerizing. The opening also grabbed me - it was literally an interview with a vampire, the irony of which I found amusing. It was, however, the fantasy view of being a vampire, one that was attractive, sexy and far more human than monster. Within minutes, we saw that this was just a fantasy of one reluctant vampire, Mick St. John. He then goes on to show us just how unattractive and lonely being a vampire is, even if the vampire is himself attractive.

A lot sailed over my head in that first ep, but in reviewing that ep and subsequent ones later, I came to appreciate Alex's talents, but it was Mick I empathized with....Mick was a true anti-hero, a man robbed of his human state, but one not willing to let go of his humanity.

Neither am I.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
MoonMarg
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonMarg »

wpgrace wrote:I agree. I think it's a frequent Alex experience. :happysigh:

He's sooo cute, so you kinda think you're just responding to that. But there's a lot of cute actors so no biggie... and then you end up obsessing about this one and it's confusing, cuz why? Then you watch another ep, or the ep after that, and you realize he is painting this picture of this character (whatever character he is playing when you first find him; peeps seem to get real stuck on their first Alex character. Here it's ML, but other sites it's 3R, 5-0, or Stan) that is just mesmerizing and that grabs you down deep somewhere. :phew:

So yeah, you go hunting him on the 'net and go hunting other work. And then you're surprised, cuz THAT character is totally different! He is nothing like my new obsession! Do I like this other character? How can he be sooo different? So the quest for all the characters begins. :snicker:

And the amazing discovery of this amazing talent.

And then you find interviews of the real actor, cuz the characters aren't enough. And he's nothing like any of em!

But he's still cute. :winky:

That is a good explanation Grace. It still is one of life's great mysteries to me why I fell for Mick/Alex when it hadn't really happened before. And it happened very quickly. But I have to say it was his physical cuteness & his voicethat drew me in. :heart:
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

You cannot go wrong with that, Sweetie. :heart: :laugh:

Return to “General Discussion”