Moonlight Vampires -- what did you like/dislike about them?

A deeper discussion of Vampire Mythology

Re: Moonlight Vampires -- what did you like/dislike about them?

Postby jmc » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:55 pm

I guess I'll have to go back and watch the dvds some more but my take on the food thing was not that they couldn't but that they didn't. Dr. Feelgood woke up hungry and gorged himself on Cheetos or Doritos by the look of the orange color but they didn't taste like anything (think rice cakes) and didn't satisfy his overwhelming hunger. Only blood could do that. When Mick and Josef drank, I figured they could substitute their super sense of smell for their lack of taste. Love the vampire sniffing thing.
The freezer/decomp thing sort of made sense on some level if you didn't examine it too closely. Again, Dr. Feelgood instinctively took the shelves out and crawled into the fridge because he was so hot and of course Mick and Fever. I thought the freezer didn't freeze them stiff, just slowed down the cellular damage. I always figured that that those old-time coffins were cool and dank and musty anyway.
I loved how our vamps could fit in to society. Being able to stand some sunshine helped that.

I always wondered about Mick's heartbeat. Would it have been slower or faster? A faster metabolism might have explained some of the special abilities, again in my fuzzy, quasi-scientific thinking. Or maybe I just want an excuse to stand real close and press my ear to Mick's chest.
Image


. . . Love is strong as death . . . - Song of Solomon 8: 6
"fiercely faithful"

My beautiful MickBeth avatar by Twilightdew. My beautiful banner courtesy of the very talented Phoenix.
User avatar
jmc
Rogue vampire
 
Posts: 1600
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:45 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Moonlight Vampires -- what did you like/dislike about them?

Postby wpgrace » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:18 pm

Josefismysire wrote:

I'm probably going to get tomatoes thrown at me for this one..but the "age" thing bothered me a little with Josef too. Yes, he has the eternal body of a 25 year old, but the mind and experiences of someone much, MUCH older..he may want to surround himself with young, beautiful, vital woman in their early to mid-twenties (as freshies..as food) but I have trouble thinking that he would actually have meaningful, deep, philosophical discussions with such a young person and be so enamored that he would want to marry/turn them..ie Sarah. She was only 21 years old and very pampered, sheltered. I had difficulty seeing the overwhelming attraction there, honestly. Even though I didn't feel the chemistry between Josef and Simone, I could understand the connection better...she seemed a little older (late 20s) and a career woman. More intellectually stimulating for Josef, I would think...


LOL!! Sumner Redstone, who owns a bunch of media companies and is almost as old as Josef... just married a very young woman, I think in her 20s... Jack Nicholson, who is I think OLDER than Josef, has always got a very young one hanging on his arm... Tony Randall had a baby with a 30 year old woman when he was 80 or some such thing...

Old men like young women. The only one in all of Hollywood that it bothered was Mick. And he's not really real. Real Hollywood men like 21 year olds. Not that it's right, but who produced Moonlight? To them, Josef and a 21 year old is a reality that is just another Oscar party away...
Image
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
User avatar
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic
 
Posts: 16427
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Moonlight Vampires -- what did you like/dislike about them?

Postby Lilly » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:32 pm

I have to agree that the "average" 21-year-old would not captivate Josef the way Sarah obviously did. But, there are exceptions to every rule. My take on the relationship is that there had to be something exceptional about Sarah just by virtue of the fact that she did touch his soul the way she did. I guess I've always come at this from the end result and worked backward. He wouldn't have fallen for her and dropped his considerable defenses if she had not been "worthy." She had to be much more than just a beautiful young thing. If you believe in the idea of soul mates, then I don't think this is so much of a stretch. Love very often defies logic and reason and time -- if two souls are meant to be together.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
User avatar
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod
 
Posts: 24220
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:24 pm

Re: Moonlight Vampires -- what did you like/dislike about them?

Postby Josefismysire » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:34 am

Lilly wrote:I have to agree that the "average" 21-year-old would not captivate Josef the way Sarah obviously did. But, there are exceptions to every rule. My take on the relationship is that there had to be something exceptional about Sarah just by virtue of the fact that she did touch his soul the way she did. I guess I've always come at this from the end result and worked backward. He wouldn't have fallen for her and dropped his considerable defenses if she had not been "worthy." She had to be much more than just a beautiful young thing. If you believe in the idea of soul mates, then I don't think this is so much of a stretch. Love very often defies logic and reason and time -- if two souls are meant to be together.


Aww, Lilly. You are such an old, romantic soul! :hug:
Image
User avatar
Josefismysire
Courtesan
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:16 am
Location: purring at Josef's feet..where else?

Re: Moonlight Vampires -- what did you like/dislike about them?

Postby francis » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:41 am

wpgrace wrote:
Old men like young women. The only one in all of Hollywood that it bothered was Mick. And he's not really real. Real Hollywood men like 21 year olds. Not that it's right, but who produced Moonlight? To them, Josef and a 21 year old is a reality that is just another Oscar party away...


This is a snark that is worthy of Josef. :worship: :tomato: :tongue: :thumbs:
I like it. You hit the head on the nail or something. :getclue:
User avatar
francis
100% Moonlightaholic
 
Posts: 11474
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:45 am

Re: Moonlight Vampires -- what did you like/dislike about them?

Postby Catmoon » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:56 pm

I was never into the vampire genre before ML, and I'm still not. So I guess they made me pretty happy. :lol: I can overlook the stupid stuff...but then when I'm writing fic I have to find a way explain it that makes it more believable. I like scientific (or maybe just trying to sound more plausible), but I don't mind a bit of magic too. My personal belief is that science and "magic" aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. The almost mystical connection Mick and Beth shared, the bizarre coincidences that kept throwing them together...

The food situation: I believe they can physically eat, but it has no taste so they don't. I love food but went through a time like that once and wouldn't have eaten if I didn't get hungry and had to. Francis seems pretty smart about meat and stuff so maybe she can tell me if I'm off base or not. ;) We know ML vamps feel pain, a cut would hurt until it healed and if you kept cutting them it would keep hurting and healing. So if they were to eat food, it seems to me the food would just sit there and rot since they can't digest it. I would think that could irritate their insides and actually cause pain until it "healed" (finished decomposing or whatever). Unless they uh, got rid of it. :puke:

The uncomfortable freezer stuff is hard to make sense of. I wonder what Josef's freezer looks like. The vamp likes to be comfortable. Look at the way he sprawls out almost every time he sits down. His feet are up, he's stretched out... I just don't see him without at least a pillow. Ditto for those other activities that people do in beds. Maybe Mick took a vow of celebacy, but I just can't see vampires always doing it on the floor or couch, never wanting a bed to play in. ;)
Click here for link to my HB series story index

Image
"I do whatever the Josef-muse tells me to do."
User avatar
Catmoon
Rogue vampire
 
Posts: 1224
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:13 am
Location: "On the road, somewhere between L.A. and Oslo"

Re: Moonlight Vampires -- what did you like/dislike about them?

Postby wpgrace » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:17 pm

Catmoon wrote:I was never into the vampire genre before ML, and I'm still not. So I guess they made me pretty happy. :lol: I can overlook the stupid stuff...but then when I'm writing fic I have to find a way explain it that makes it more believable. I like scientific (or maybe just trying to sound more plausible), but I don't mind a bit of magic too. My personal belief is that science and "magic" aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. The almost mystical connection Mick and Beth shared, the bizarre coincidences that kept throwing them together...

The food situation: I believe they can physically eat, but it has no taste so they don't. I love food but went through a time like that once and wouldn't have eaten if I didn't get hungry and had to. Francis seems pretty smart about meat and stuff so maybe she can tell me if I'm off base or not. ;) We know ML vamps feel pain, a cut would hurt until it healed and if you kept cutting them it would keep hurting and healing. So if they were to eat food, it seems to me the food would just sit there and rot since they can't digest it. I would think that could irritate their insides and actually cause pain until it "healed" (finished decomposing or whatever). Unless they uh, got rid of it. :puke:

The uncomfortable freezer stuff is hard to make sense of. I wonder what Josef's freezer looks like. The vamp likes to be comfortable. Look at the way he sprawls out almost every time he sits down. His feet are up, he's stretched out... I just don't see him without at least a pillow. Ditto for those other activities that people do in beds. Maybe Mick took a vow of celebacy, but I just can't see vampires always doing it on the floor or couch, never wanting a bed to play in. ;)


Well, and you notice Josef's Sarah is lying in a bed, not a freezer... and she's been there for 50 years... so I would say freezers maybe feel good, but aren't de rigeur... and that Mick always has to do everything the hard way...

And Mick did say vamps don't eat cause they can't taste it and can't digest it... so I think you take on that should work... they COULD eat, it just wouldn't taste good or feel good to them... and would have later consequences... just like pizza does for my dad... :devil:
Image
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
User avatar
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic
 
Posts: 16427
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Moonlight Vampires -- what did you like/dislike about them?

Postby Josefismysire » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:43 pm

wpgrace wrote:
Catmoon wrote:

The uncomfortable freezer stuff is hard to make sense of. I wonder what Josef's freezer looks like. The vamp likes to be comfortable. Look at the way he sprawls out almost every time he sits down. His feet are up, he's stretched out... I just don't see him without at least a pillow. Ditto for those other activities that people do in beds. Maybe Mick took a vow of celebacy, but I just can't see vampires always doing it on the floor or couch, never wanting a bed to play in. ;)


I remember awhile ago, at one of the Cons, someone asking Jason what he thought Josef's freezer would look like and he commented that he believed it would be custom-designed, velvet-lined and big enough for three..Josef and two of his girls!! So, yeah! I definitely agree..Josef enjoys his creature comforts!! :snicker: :rose:

Well, and you notice Josef's Sarah is lying in a bed, not a freezer... and she's been there for 50 years... so I would say freezers maybe feel good, but aren't de rigeur... and that Mick always has to do everything the hard way...



This is a really good point about Sarah and "her condition", Grace. I never thought of that..another sweet inconsistency found only on Planet Moonlight!! Good catch!! :thumbs:
Image
User avatar
Josefismysire
Courtesan
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:16 am
Location: purring at Josef's feet..where else?

Re: Moonlight Vampires -- what did you like/dislike about them?

Postby moonlight_vixen » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:55 am

wpgrace wrote:
Catmoon wrote:

The uncomfortable freezer stuff is hard to make sense of. I wonder what Josef's freezer looks like. The vamp likes to be comfortable. Look at the way he sprawls out almost every time he sits down. His feet are up, he's stretched out... I just don't see him without at least a pillow. Ditto for those other activities that people do in beds. Maybe Mick took a vow of celebacy, but I just can't see vampires always doing it on the floor or couch, never wanting a bed to play in. ;)


I remember awhile ago, at one of the Cons, someone asking Jason what he thought Josef's freezer would look like and he commented that he believed it would be custom-designed, velvet-lined and big enough for three..Josef and two of his girls!! So, yeah! I definitely agree..Josef enjoys his creature comforts!! :snicker: :rose:


:lol: Well, of course Josef's freezer would be customized like this! Do you really expect it to be any less?? No "Woe is me, I'm a vampire" routine for that vamp! Creature comforts, baby, creature comforts :hearts:
Image
Banner And Avatar By Me
______________________________________________________________________________________
Proud Josef Exclusive+
Proud Co-Founder Of Maroon-A-Holics
THINK KOSTAN!
User avatar
moonlight_vixen
Courtesan
 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:18 am
Location: Kasa Kostan

Re: Moonlight Vampires -- what did you like/dislike about them?

Postby darkstarrising » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:57 am

moonlight_vixen wrote:
wpgrace wrote:
Catmoon wrote:

The uncomfortable freezer stuff is hard to make sense of. I wonder what Josef's freezer looks like. The vamp likes to be comfortable. Look at the way he sprawls out almost every time he sits down. His feet are up, he's stretched out... I just don't see him without at least a pillow. Ditto for those other activities that people do in beds. Maybe Mick took a vow of celebacy, but I just can't see vampires always doing it on the floor or couch, never wanting a bed to play in. ;)


I remember awhile ago, at one of the Cons, someone asking Jason what he thought Josef's freezer would look like and he commented that he believed it would be custom-designed, velvet-lined and big enough for three..Josef and two of his girls!! So, yeah! I definitely agree..Josef enjoys his creature comforts!! :snicker: :rose:


:lol: Well, of course Josef's freezer would be customized like this! Do you really expect it to be any less?? No "Woe is me, I'm a vampire" routine for that vamp! Creature comforts, baby, creature comforts :hearts:


And at least a double wide!!!
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Image

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
User avatar
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic
 
Posts: 10939
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:25 am

Re: Moonlight Vampires -- what did you like/dislike about them?

Postby eris » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:01 am

Pfft. Josef has a walk-in, fully furnished, refrigerated bedroom.

(Does he look like the kind of guy who'd have a double wide... as if...)
User avatar
eris
Sire
 
Posts: 3501
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:21 am
Location: somewhere... I think

Re: Moonlight Vampires -- what did you like/dislike about them?

Postby darkstarrising » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:11 am

eris wrote:Pfft. Josef has a walk-in, fully furnished, refrigerated bedroom.

(Does he look like the kind of guy who'd have a double wide... as if...)


I bow to your wisdom...but why limit it to a bedroom?
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Image

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
User avatar
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic
 
Posts: 10939
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:25 am

Re: Moonlight Vampires -- what did you like/dislike about them?

Postby nutmegger911 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:22 am

OK.
L7 you were right, I should have memorialized it. *note to self, change siggie line*

It ain't canon unless they shot it (and aired it).

400 year old vamp falling for 21 year old human? See "My Bloody Valentine - Hers" for my thoughts on that one.

Freezers - I can buy that. The only freezer we ever saw was Mick's. My guess, that setup was more due to his personal ways than generally accepted vampire sleeping accomodations.

Silver, I'm going with it. It is actually old lore from what I understand. (Besides, the digital comment made me smile.)

Science v. Magic - What is magic but science we don't yet understand? We all want to explain it (science) but it's the magic that keeps us coming back. *just a thought*
NM911
Image
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
User avatar
nutmegger911
Cleaner
 
Posts: 6074
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Right here - right now

Re: Moonlight Vampires -- what did you like/dislike about them?

Postby Catmoon » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:41 am

eris wrote:Pfft. Josef has a walk-in, fully furnished, refrigerated bedroom.

(Does he look like the kind of guy who'd have a double wide... as if...)


Interesting you should mention that. I've never written Josef's freezer in my fic, but that's exactly what my OC has: a real bedroom with a cooling unit. He's more the old fashioned type, not like these L.A. vamps and their fancy freezers... :lol: That's my take on it, the freezer is an 'in vogue' kinda thing among vampires right now. ;) Everyone's doing it, you just have to have one!
Click here for link to my HB series story index

Image
"I do whatever the Josef-muse tells me to do."
User avatar
Catmoon
Rogue vampire
 
Posts: 1224
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:13 am
Location: "On the road, somewhere between L.A. and Oslo"

Re: Moonlight Vampires -- what did you like/dislike about them?

Postby moonlight_vixen » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:00 pm

Catmoon wrote:
eris wrote:Pfft. Josef has a walk-in, fully furnished, refrigerated bedroom.

(Does he look like the kind of guy who'd have a double wide... as if...)


Interesting you should mention that. I've never written Josef's freezer in my fic, but that's exactly what my OC has: a real bedroom with a cooling unit. He's more the old fashioned type, not like these L.A. vamps and their fancy freezers... :lol: That's my take on it, the freezer is an 'in vogue' kinda thing among vampires right now. ;) Everyone's doing it, you just have to have one!


I completely agree with this! Josef's not going to have just a freezer, he's going to have a fully-equipped freezing room with all the amenites :thumbs:
Image
Banner And Avatar By Me
______________________________________________________________________________________
Proud Josef Exclusive+
Proud Co-Founder Of Maroon-A-Holics
THINK KOSTAN!
User avatar
moonlight_vixen
Courtesan
 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:18 am
Location: Kasa Kostan

PreviousNext

Return to Vampire Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests