Interview with a vampire (rough cut)

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Interview with a vampire (rough cut)

Post by redwinter101 »

I've added the link to this video to the media links forum, but I thought it deserved its own thread. I stumbled across this again (while hunting for some Feed stuff) - I hadn't seen it in ages!

Even though a lot of dialogue is the same as was used in the final version in NSTAV, the delivery is very different. And they ended up cutting some stuff I really wish they'd kept:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmk7F7KyjrE

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Interview with a vampire (rough cut)

Post by r1015bill »

I love this version! I particularly like when he makes the mistake and smoothly just starts again.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, I LOVE that version. And I agree, Red, that there are parts of it that should've stayed in...
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Oh redwinter, thank you for that link. I haven't seen that in a long time, it was the very first thing that I saw about Moonlight and it made me perk up and search for the whole episode online.

In retrospect, I didn't realize back then that this was another version. I hadn't made myself sit through the episodes multiple times and compare them and analyze them and read the transcript simultaneously to have some kind of closed captioning. My English comprehension was worse back then than now.

I think this version was less slick, more like a run-through. But I am amazed that Alex remembered all his lines in such a long scene without any cut. He really comes from theatre, right? And Mick was more flirty here, less cool, and more forthcoming about information. The Mick in the show was already a little bit more guarded, even when he dreamed about being open with someone, he still couldn't really relax. Here, he was more relaxed.

And they really managed to give us a rundown of what the show was about, what Mick was about. This violated every rule of "show, don't tell", but still it was a genius move to get people started on this show. Mick was the front and centre of the show, and they certainly used that.
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Very Cool! Thanks for posting, Red.
Definitely more in line with Mick's character as portrayed in the unaired pilot. I wonder if this was to be included in the original pilot.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Nutmegger, we asked Trevor about the Interview segment when I met him earlier this summer. He said that the segment was intended only for a promo--it was not originally planned that it would be included in the first episode at all. It was added at the last moment, to provide some explication about the "vampire rules". In the original (NY) pilot, Mick explained the "rules" in voiceovers throughout the story.
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Cool! Thanks for the info. You ladies definitely get the sleuth star award for tracking all this stuff down. Y'all really amaze me. :notworthy:
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

red, thanks so much for this :hug: I hadn't seen this in ages, and agree there were certain parts that should have been left in...

This felt like a 'dress rehearsal', but even so, this version has Mick more playful, smiling a lot, flirting with the interviewer. Even the voice was just a hair different, slightly more husky. Loved the bit about wanting to see his fangs....'after the interview' :rolling:

I don't know if it was intentional or not, but Mick's / Alex's hands were restless....maybe it was supposed to be a sign of nervousness about the interview....
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

I think there was a bit of Alex himself in this... tho a whole lotta Mick too...
It is such a joy to watch... another little bit of newish Mick...
Since we've apparently only got one more ML with the CW... sigh... we'll be Mickless for awhile.
So this and the pilot... cool additions to our Alex summer. :cloud9:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

wpgrace wrote:I think there was a bit of Alex himself in this... tho a whole lotta Mick too...
It is such a joy to watch... another little bit of newish Mick...
Since we've apparently only got one more ML with the CW... sigh... we'll be Mickless for awhile.
So this and the pilot... cool additions to our Alex summer. :cloud9:
Maybe there'll be more from the rough cut vaults that will some day be released. It would be a terrible tragedy to be Mickless :hankie:
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

darkstarrising wrote:Maybe there'll be more from the rough cut vaults that will some day be released. It would be a terrible tragedy to be Mickless :hankie:
Well, scoopsters, YouTube is delightfully searchable, you know. :whistle:

Red

seamus3333
Freelance freshie

Post by seamus3333 »

I just fell in love all over again! How perfect is he?
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

allegrita wrote:Nutmegger, we asked Trevor about the Interview segment when I met him earlier this summer. He said that the segment was intended only for a promo--it was not originally planned that it would be included in the first episode at all. It was added at the last moment, to provide some explication about the "vampire rules". In the original (NY) pilot, Mick explained the "rules" in voiceovers throughout the story.

OK, based on red's suggestion I went digging.....the link below is to one of the promos that CBS came up with based on the original 'Interview with a Vampire'.....it's interesting in that while the Mick doing the interview is the Mick we saw in the series, the segments from the show that are interwoven with the interview are all from the pilot...

They included a line in the promo that wasn't there before....one they definitely should have kept in the final version, about whether vampires can have sex

ML Promo
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

darkstarrising wrote:
allegrita wrote:Nutmegger, we asked Trevor about the Interview segment when I met him earlier this summer. He said that the segment was intended only for a promo--it was not originally planned that it would be included in the first episode at all. It was added at the last moment, to provide some explication about the "vampire rules". In the original (NY) pilot, Mick explained the "rules" in voiceovers throughout the story.

OK, based on red's suggestion I went digging.....the link below is to one of the promos that CBS came up with based on the original 'Interview with a Vampire'.....it's interesting in that while the Mick doing the interview is the Mick we saw in the series, the segments from the show that are interwoven with the interview are all from the pilot...

They included a line in the promo that wasn't there before....one they definitely should have kept in the final version, about whether vampires can have sex

ML Promo
Oh how marvellous!! I'm going to start a new thread for promos because this is too good to be hidden away. So carry on hunting, ladies. :hearts: :hearts:

Red

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

I've seen a couple versions but never this one. Looks like it was a practice run. It's slower and Mick is much more at ease. Certainly sounds less practiced.

Yeah, there a few things I wish they would have left. I found myself smiling through the whole thing.

"What's the coolest part about being a vampire?"
"You mean aside from sleeping in a freezer?"
:rolling: :snicker: :rolling:

Thanks, Red.

Return to “100% Moonlight”