Moonlight Q & A

bank1115
Fledgling

Love Lasts Forever question

Post by bank1115 »

Would someone really answer the door, not knowing who is there, wearing that short of a tee-shirt? It bugged me the first time I saw it and it bugged me last night. Also was the music played during the death scene the same music that played when Josef returned Mick? kays
Beautiful banner by Phoenix
Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Re: Love Lasts Forever question

Post by Moonlightsonata »

I thought her answering the door in the tshirt was odd too. And yes the music is the same as the re-turning scene. I even put a comment on about it on the other board this morning. I hadn't noticed it in this episode until last night. But the composition is called "Saving Josh" so it was written more for this scene.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.
greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

bank1115 wrote:Would someone really answer the door, not knowing who is there, wearing that short of a tee-shirt? It bugged me the first time I saw it and it bugged me last night. Also was the music played during the death scene the same music that played when Josef returned Mick? kays
I never thought of that...but now that I do, yeah it is weird...and almost a little slutty I'd say. :tomato:
Banner created by the lovely RedNightBird.

"...The moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire fire she snatches from the sun..." ~William Shakespeare

Better Safe Than Staked.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

"Saving Josh" is an incredibly moving piece of music. It runs 7 minutes long and was perfectly matched to the scene that inspired it in LLF. Bits of it, however, were used in other episodes, most notably the first (slightly more than) 2 minutes were used for the re-turning scene. When I listened to the piece without the dialogue and background noise of the episode, I was struck by something that was almost too subtle in the episode itself. Composer Trevor Morris used a hand drum to echo the sound of a heartbeat -- and then the drum falls silent. Incredibly powerful.

The light piano strains from "Saving Josh" can also be heard in "Click" when Mick and Beth are walking together discussing relocation (after the police haul off the producer). I know I heard it in other places as well, but the particulars escape me right now.

With television -- and movies too -- it's often an effective device to have a recurring theme for scenes with similar emotional impact. There are a number of these themes in ML -- it's just that this one is the most haunting.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Yeah, I'd say Mick is taken aback at seeing her at the door in that shirt. And it instantly becomes obvious that Josh was there for the night.

I'd say, however, that for just thinking about the possibility of telling Beth he has feelings for her (duh, Mick, about time!), he recovers quite rapidly.

Lucky
one.zebra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by one.zebra »

Lilly, it is a gorgeous piece of music, so evocative. Alex had some fabulous expressions in that ep. It was good to watch it again last night.
(hey! No crying! I'm making progress..)

Two things struck me last night. How 'early' it was in M/B's relationship and that Josh was really crazy about Beth. Mick had not let her into his world, nor made peace with himself and that kinda explains her harsh questions.

I've read so much fanfic in the last year that it really stuck out to me.
Banner and avatar by Twilightdew!

Travelling 33rpm in an iPod world
lunalux
Fledgling

Post by lunalux »

kays,
I totally agree. I always thought it was...well, gratuitous at best. Here her boyfriend is on the phone arranging protection from murderous thugs and she just saunters over and opens the door without a thought. I would have thought that given the circumstances, even fully clothed, there should have been some hesitancy. It did work, however improbable it may have been, with the other aspect of the story, Mick's obvious feelings toward Beth... getting to see her in nothing but a teeshirt, and being slammed back into reality, ie, the partially clothed boyfriends wandering into view...
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

lunalux wrote:kays,
I totally agree. I always thought it was...well, gratuitous at best. Here her boyfriend is on the phone arranging protection from murderous thugs and she just saunters over and opens the door without a thought. I would have thought that given the circumstances, even fully clothed, there should have been some hesitancy. It did work, however improbable it may have been, with the other aspect of the story, Mick's obvious feelings toward Beth... getting to see her in nothing but a teeshirt, and being slammed back into reality, ie, the partially clothed boyfriends wandering into view...
and any thoughts of expressing his feelings for her (as he considered while waiting in the car), got slammed as well.

sweatpants and the tee shirt would have been a lot more believable.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
VAsusieQ18
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by VAsusieQ18 »

My biggest beef with the scene was the improbability of answering the door when you know someone has marked you for death! :snicker: Granted, no one at the time had shot at her, as would happen later that day, but still...

And there's no way in hell I'd ever answer the door in short t-shirt and underwear. But then, we don't even know if she'd put the undies on as yet! I get that Mick was supposed to see her half-naked and then the half-naked boyfriend. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the two of them must have done earlier, but I would think a half-naked boyfriend wandering around in her apartment in the morning would have been sufficient enough to get the point across. Sometimes, subtlety is so underrated in TV. For some reason, they feel the need to hit us over the head with the kitchen sink to get the point across, cuz they know how slow and stupid TV viewers really are... :roll: And I'm not justing saying this for Moonlight, I'm talking all forms of media...TV and movies, politicians and the news media...you get the idea...
Last edited by VAsusieQ18 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beautiful banner and avatar by sirensong!
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Plus BEth was just all wrong in this ep... they wrote her weird, including writing her going to the door half nekkid.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
darlingcat
Courtesan

Post by darlingcat »

wpgrace wrote:Plus BEth was just all wrong in this ep... they wrote her weird, including writing her going to the door half nekkid.
She was! From the casual "take a vampire wife" to the cruel "why do you go on living?" :roll:
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

darlingcat wrote:
wpgrace wrote:Plus BEth was just all wrong in this ep... they wrote her weird, including writing her going to the door half nekkid.
She was! From the casual "take a vampire wife" to the cruel "why do you go on living?" :roll:
This ep wasn't my favourite Beth but I do have understanding for some of what she says. Grief and guilt can do strange things to you and you say things you don't mean. I'll save the rest of my thoughts for the ep discussion. :D
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
Catmoon
Rogue vampire

Post by Catmoon »

VAsusieQ18 wrote:And there's no way in hell I'd ever answer the door in short t-shirt and underwear. But then, we don't even know if she'd put the undies on as yet! I get that Mick was supposed to see her half-naked and then the half-naked boyfriend. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the two of them must have done earlier, but I would think a half-naked boyfriend wandering around in her apartment in the morning would have been sufficient enough to get the point across. Sometimes, subtlety is so underrated in TV. For some reason, they feel the need to hit us over the head with the kitchen sink to get the point across, cuz they know how slow and stupid TV viewers really are... :roll: And I'm not justing saying this for Moonlight, I'm talking all forms of media...TV and movies, politicians and the news media...you get the idea...
Heck, Mick could just take a big sniff with that super vamp nose of his and know exactly what she'd been doing... but I guess maybe that wouldn't have gone over with the censors... :snicker: :lol: :whistle: (yeah, I know, too subtle too probably). Besides that, yeah, I think Beth is foolish enough to answer the door casually after finding out she's marked for death -- but yeah, Josh should never have let her. IMHO, he was OOC too in this ep, they played him very stupid.
Click here for link to my HB series story index

"I do whatever the Josef-muse tells me to do."
bluedahlia3
Rogue vampire
Location: Strolling down a foggy street, collar popped up, emoting cigarette smoke

Post by bluedahlia3 »

I wish the fans could get the chance to meet Sophia and ask her to talk about Beth. We have been lucky enough to talk to Jason and Alex...a lot. A couple of well placed questions, for her, would be nice. And yes, I too thought the tee shirt / door scene was 'off'. :whistle:
"I'm only wearing black until they come up with something darker." LaCroix
Forever grateful to Trevor Munson for his gift.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

bluedahlia3 wrote:I wish the fans could get the chance to meet Sophia and ask her to talk about Beth. We have been lucky enough to talk to Jason and Alex...a lot. A couple of well placed questions, for her, would be nice. And yes, I too thought the tee shirt / door scene was 'off'. :whistle:
Among other things, I'd have expected Beth to have remembered her appointment with Mick, at least when the phone went off....I really thought she was about to have one of those "Oh, no!" moments. And even when he turned up at her door, she didn't seem to realize she'd missed her date by an hour. (Which also meant it was 11 in the morning....)

Lucky

Return to “100% Moonlight”