Something new! Moonlight could have a future on audio

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Re: Something new! Moonlight could have a future on audio

Post by librarian_7 »

Just a guess, here, dsr, but I think it's probably Warner. I'm sure it's not SyFy (yes, it's a stupid name) as they only bought re-broadcast rights. And I don't know that CBS has any say at this point. My guess would be Warner and/or Silver Pictures.

Lucky
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

librarian_7 wrote:Just a guess, here, dsr, but I think it's probably Warner. I'm sure it's not SyFy (yes, it's a stupid name) as they only bought re-broadcast rights. And I don't know that CBS has any say at this point. My guess would be Warner and/or Silver Pictures.

Lucky
Lucky

thanks...you're probably right and both Warner and Silver Pictures might be unwilling to let Moonlight go audio if they ever thought there was even a slim chance of doing a movie.

and yes, whoever came up with SyFy :gasp:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

I'm no expert in how it works, but I don't think the chance of a future movie would necessarily affect the possibility of obtaining the audio rights. Big Finish got the license for Doctor Who audio back in 1999, and since then the TV show has come back in a big way - with the audio plays continuing alongside it. (There's a fair bit of crossover and coordination between the audio and the screen versions.)
From that example I'd assume that Moonlight on audio wouldn't interfere with any screen possibilities.

(Of course WB may assign the rights in a different way than BBC does, but overall you'd think it would be pretty standard.....)

Actually Mick's voice overs are one of the reasons I think Moonlight would work particularly well on audio. As Lucky said, they sounded completely different from his normal dialog even on the show, and could be used even more effectively in the audio format. It's kind of hard to describe how well it can all work if you haven't listened to a good audio play - it's sort of a magic mix of clever writing, good acting, and good post production. I've listened to plays that switched back and forth from reality to dreams, flashbacks, and memories, and it's been totally obvious which is which. It's quite amazing how much you can "see" while listening to one of these.

Except for those wonderful expressions of course .... (sigh.)
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Shadow... stoopid Grace here... :giggle:

WHERE do you listen to the audio plays? Is it for ipods? Or there's a computer site you go to for listening?

And I totally agree... Alex rocked those V/O's so amazingly well... you can totally tell the difference between the V/O's and his dialogue... that would all still sound WONDERFUL!
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

I LOVE listening to old radio shows so this would rock my world, if we can't have the show or a movie. You really can't multi-task when you listen to one (or at least, I can't). It's time to sit down, relax, turn your brain off and just....listen. :ysmile:
*Christy*

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I remember the Star Wars radio plays on National Public Radio. They were amazing. When I was little in the 70's on Sunday afternoon a local radio station had stories.
greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

I'm with grace...where do you listen? :dunce: I've never heard of audio plays before, but they sound really cool. :ysmile:
Banner created by the lovely RedNightBird.

"...The moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire fire she snatches from the sun..." ~William Shakespeare

Better Safe Than Staked.
Josefismysire
Courtesan

Post by Josefismysire »

Email sent!! Thank you, Shadow. :fingerscrossed:
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

greenleaf9 wrote:I'm with grace...where do you listen? :dunce: I've never heard of audio plays before, but they sound really cool. :ysmile:
As for old radio shows, you can go on iTunes under the Radio heading and then search for MPIR Old Time Radio. :)

Now, the Doctor Who radio shows....I know you can sometimes find them on livejournal.
*Christy*

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was originally done as a BBC radio play, and it was awesome. I don't know how to find that--I just heard it on the radio, long ago, but I remember it so well--and I'd love to own it.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Hitchhiker's is actually available on cd...it is the BEST.

Lucky
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Ooh...I'm going hunting!
NightAir
Fledgling

Post by NightAir »

I sent my email.
This would be a wonderful way to continue Moonlight if we can't have a movie. Just thinking about it makes me smile.
But, too many disappointments mean I won't be holding my breath. I WILL keep my fingers crossed though! :snicker:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

NightAir wrote:I sent my email.
This would be a wonderful way to continue Moonlight if we can't have a movie. Just thinking about it makes me smile.
But, too many disappointments mean I won't be holding my breath. I WILL keep my fingers crossed though! :snicker:
Oh I agree, NightAir. Just the thought of hearing Mick's voice again thrills me. I've sent off my email and I'll be keeping my (previously burnt) fingers crossed.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

wpgrace wrote:Shadow... stoopid Grace here... :giggle:

WHERE do you listen to the audio plays? Is it for ipods? Or there's a computer site you go to for listening?

And I totally agree... Alex rocked those V/O's so amazingly well... you can totally tell the difference between the V/O's and his dialogue... that would all still sound WONDERFUL!

They do turn up on radio (though I have to admit I've never listened to a radio drama on the radio!) BBC radio does a lot of them, and in the U.S., public radio stations are probably a good place to try. Mostly I've gotten mine through downloads or buying cd's. If you google radio drama or audio drama you'll get a big list of sites that offer downloads (a lot of them free) and cd sales. I got addicted to the Big Finish plays several years ago; some of them show up on BBC radio first and then go on sale, others go straight to download and cd sales, and they're all available on the website. (And if you like the classics, Arkangel has some wonderful stuff - I've started collecting their Shakespeare audio plays!)

Return to “100% Moonlight”