Moonlight Paley Event

Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Moonlight Paley Event

Post by Moonlightsonata »

I just got my monthly newsletter from Paley Center. It reminded me that they never produced a DVD of the event which I suspect a lot of people would like to have - those who went and those who wished they could have gone. Everything was so wonderful that night. Anyway, I called the Paley Center in Los Angeles and if you are a member there you can view the event in their library. Helpful to call ahead of time.

I am a member but being on the other side of the country I can't take advantage of viewing the DVD although I might make a trip to New York to do it. But I would love to have the DVD and I have called the Director of Special programs to let her know that and I also indicated there are probably others who would love to have a DVD as well.

Anyway, if you are interested maybe you can call or contact them as well. If enough people call. maybe they will realize it would be profitable to have one for sale. Similar to Warner Bros. we may have to ask for what we want in order to get it. Thanks.
Last edited by redwinter101 on Wed May 05, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To make thread title more general
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Re: Paley Event - If there was a DVD would you buy it?

Post by wondergirl9847 »

I'd LOVE to have a DVD of that night! When I was in L.A. for the ML Convention, another MLer and I were going to go back to the Paley Center to view and record the DVD, but when we called, they told us they didn't have it for viewing yet. :( I was planning on secretly videoing the thing. LOL
*Christy*

Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Well the DVD is supposed to be available for viewing by members if you are ever in Los Angeles and more than likely New York. Although the woman I spoke to indicated it would be a good idea to call first.
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

Here is the response I got via email. I am LOVING the "This could change..." part! That sounds faintly promising. :thumbs:

Unfortunately the event is not available on DVD at this time – only for viewing at both Paley Center locations in LA and NY. This could change so please check paleycenter.org for updates.

Terry Lynn Ebright
Manager, Public Relations
The Paley Center for Media
465 N Beverly Drive
Beverly Hills , CA 90210
T 310.786.1042/F 310.786.1086
www.paleycenter.org
tebright@paleycenter.org
*Christy*

Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

I am just bumping this in the hope there will be more interest. Also I wanted to see if my status of Freelance Freshie changes with 201 posts?
lynnrxgal
Fledgling

Post by lynnrxgal »

I have called and emailed the Paley Center several times re: the possibility of a DVD of that magical evening. I do think that if there is enough interest, it will become available. Perhaps if Alex / Three Rivers is a big hit....
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

Moonlightsonata wrote:I am just bumping this in the hope there will be more interest. Also I wanted to see if my status of Freelance Freshie changes with 201 posts?
Moonlightsonata, you become a Fledgling at 250 posts. :teeth:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

ooooh, yes please, yes please, yes please, yes please! That was the day I met Alex :hearts: , so I'd definitely loooove another memento of that event (especially considering that neither Buzzwire nor I had the presence of mind to pull out a camera)! Should we contact Paley to communicate our interest or are you "collecting data" that you are going to pass on to them? If so, let them know I would buy a few copies, not just one. Lemme know if there's anything I can do to help persuade Paley to release it. It really shouldn't be a hard decision for them - we dupe professional video all the time at work and it costs nothing these days, so it would be all profit for them (unless there's "permission/compensation" issues with WB, CBS, Silver Pics or the cast).

:cheer: GO PALEY! GO PALEY! GO PALEY! :cheer:
~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

One thing to mention is that a publisher of databases for libraries is planning the release this fall of a database of streaming video of past Paley Center events. Whether or not the Moonlight panel will be on this, I don't know, but it might well impact their decisions about making individual events available on dvd.

I don't think this is a database that many libraries will purchase...the proposed price tag for it is, well, pretty steep, even as these sorts of things go (many thousands of dollars, which will make it a tough sell in the current economic climate).

Anyway, just another little possible piece of the puzzle.

Lucky
HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

Lucky, when you say "database" do you mean it would contain the actual videos or would it be like an index of the videos (descriptions of what's on them)? If it's the former, that would be A LOT of video footage, since they do tons of panels at both locations. Also, just out of curiosity, does it say anything about them releasing some of their other stuff to libraries? I am still wanting to spend a huge chunk of time there watching some of their old TV broadcasts, especially news broadcasts. I was just mentioning this to my mother on the phone the other day after they announced that Cronkite had passed.

ETA: and oh, MSonata, I just noticed I'm at 202 posts ... we could race each other to the next level... oh nevermind, Grace and Fleur already did that schtick! :rolling:
~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Well, it's kind of interesting, because I talked with a rep from this publisher at great length about the Paley stuff, but now I'm not seeing it in their catalog as a forthcoming project, which may mean that negotiations fell through or something. However, it was planned as (and hopefully will be!) a streaming video database, with complete vids of selected materials.

I'll let you know if I find out anything else.

Lucky
Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

I am not collecting responses. I was just suggesting that maybe if enough fans contacted them about a DVD, they would be more motivated to make one available. So if you are interested let them know. Thanks.
Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Paley Event Moonlight Program

I am having difficulty finding the thread I started awhile ago on the Moonlight Paley DVD so I am starting a new one. I posted this on Vamploveforever but since it is my post, I think I am free to repeat it here. I think this is appropriate only on board emphasizing Moonlight rather than Alex.

I FINALLY SAW THE APRIL 2008 PALEY PROGRAM HONORING MOONLIGHT. I was in New York to see Avenue Q and to attend the Paley event honoring Nurse Jackie. I had been there a few weeks previous for The Good Wife event which was great but I didn't have a chance to get to their library. This time I went up a day earlier - they aren't open to the public on Monday and Tuesday - and I made it a point to get to the library. Here are some notes I took. If you have no interest, this is going to be long and not necessarily in any particular order since I was writing on scrap paper.

For those who weren't there, the attendees included all the major cast except Shannon (Coraline) and the actor who played Josh - sorry I am having a senior moment. Joel Silver was also there as was Harry & Gabriel who at that point were filling the role of showrunners. Alex, Sophia, Jason, Brian White and the actor who played (another senior moment) were all there. Since they were still filming the last few episodes of Moonlight, Alex's hair and make-up and body were still like Mick. What a thrill for a "Mick girl" like me even though I had seen this.

At the time a bunch of us from MLL went to Paley including VASusieQ, Wondergirl, Lynnxgirl, My Immortal, Tink, and some whose screen names I can't remember. Because those around them asked questions, you could clearly see the faces of VASusieQ, My Immortal and for a brief look Tink. The woman from Denver (if someone remembers her name - when the MLL fiasco occurred, she sided with Leeser for quite a while but she wasn't the cat person) let me know. Another person whose real name and screen name I forgot was also clearly on the video She had given Alex the plague and a note. The person who gave Alex the book was also on. There were shots of the back of our heads but I couldn't necessarily identify my head or Wondergirl's head but I am sure they were there since we were in row 4 as I recall.

Now on to comments from the cast. I think I will list them by cast member although they are only a small portion of what was said.

Sophia ndicated she wanted to do many more projects with Alex. She indicated that being selected for the cast for Moonlight was "like winning a golden ticket in a Wonka bar." Also when asked about the likelihood of the show having a second season - she said "Slam dunk it." I think she was super surprised when the second season didn't come to be.

Alex - He indicated the ring was the first piece he chose for Mick and that he had to fight for that ring since someone didn't think it appropriate. The ring would have been featured in a future story line if there had been another season.

Alex - when asked about his favorite episode he had difficulty choosing but "Fever" came up and what he said that was interesting was the Camera man had to get into the water with him to shot the scene. Since the camera man had to take off his shoes and socks, Alex was smelling his feet for awhile.

Alex those who were there definitely remember that Alex got a big laugh when he said Moonlight was "his show" but then said to Joel Silver "I'm sorry Daddy."

Alex When asked about what he thought Mick's biggest regret was he said not having an opportunity to say "Goodbye" to his family before he was turned.

Jason - no specific quotes but I remember how he said Alex was the hardest working guy - maybe 19 hours a day while Jason maybe 3. Also he commented on the FTP episode and the music.

Joel Silver (executive producer) made a few comments that I noted such as "Harry and Gab have saved our lives and that Harry and Gab understood the Vampire genre." He was optimistic regarding a second season but indicated that more people have to watch the show.

Gab (writer) said that Coralline and Lance would be back and that DA Talbot would play a significant role. Also that we would come to really like him.

I don't have notes on Brian White other than he said he met Alex on The Shield.

There were also some comments about Brothers and Sisters (in regard to the actor whose name I forgot who played DA Talbot).

Finally, I asked again about their making a DVD available but wasn't really successful in finding out who to write to. I suggest trying the address in Beverly Hills and writing to the CEO. If enough people would write and say they were willing to buy, maybe we can actually get this made. Also if you are ever in New York or Beverly Hills during the hours the Center is open, I suggest going to the library and seeing this. It was absolutely wonderful. If you aren't a member there will be a fee to get in, but it is well worth it.
Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Re: Moonlight Paley Event

Thanks Red for combining the threads. On Vamploveforever, where I first posted, there is some discussion about the quality of this event in terms of the audio and video. It was fine as far as I was concerned and not something I thought about at all. The Moonlight fans who saw this in Beverly Hills watched on a large screen and maybe that is why the quality wasn't great. On the smaller size screens in the Paley library in New York, I thought everything looked as I remembered. So, if you decide you want to write to Paley with regard to a DVD, please think about this or if you are in New York or LA, go to Paley yourself and see what you think.

I would gladly pay $100 if this were released on DVD and they don't need to include the actual episode we saw that night since I already have it on 3 DVDS and my DVR. It is the panel discussion and seeing the cast and how happy they were and how excited we were that were in my thoughts on Sunday. And by the way, you don't need to have been there to enjoy this. You just have to be a real Moonlightaholic.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Re: Moonlight Paley Event

Post by librarian_7 »

Okay, here's another bit of news...if you have access to a university library, you might want to check their website, or give them a call. There is now a website with about 100 of the Paley Center panels in full-length streaming video. INCLUDING THE ML PANEL!

It also has full transcripts.

It's a pretty expensive database, so not every library will have access, but major universities might have it. (Mine does. :teeth: )

Lucky

Return to “100% Moonlight”