Moonlight as creative inspiration

Catmoon
Rogue vampire

Moonlight as creative inspiration

Post by Catmoon »

Just been thinking today about how I've been getting all sorts of inspired by Moonlight, more than I've ever been for any show before and I've been involved in several fandoms and written for the shows.

The fanfic writing is nothing new for me... except that I don't always have muses in other shows and one muse in particular is in a class by himself. :snicker: The writing of complex original characters however is something that I've never been able to do before ML. I never thought I would.

It didn't stop there. My creativity has been branching out into other areas that I never touched before. I made a few slideshow vids. Did a couple of poems. The banner bug bit me, and I'm always finding interesting themes for them. Recently I've started doing "caption stories" that come to me while looking through screencaps. I've done a "virtual rock concert" and sometimes do photo "illustrations" to go with my stories. Good grief!

What is it about this show? Does anyone else have tales of inspiration they'd like to share?
Click here for link to my HB series story index

"I do whatever the Josef-muse tells me to do."
VampFan5
Rogue vampire

Re: Moonlight as creative inspiration

Post by VampFan5 »

Hey Catmoon,

I understand completely. I used to write in college just for myself. I never actually let anyone read my stuff because frankly I thought it wasn't any good and I have a hard time with rejection. (Unsupportive family growing up had to get full scholarship to get out of that situation. Sorry I have issues.) I've never written fanfic but something about this show sparked my creative side again. I couldn't get these characters out of my head and now I'm writing three stories at once plus working on an original short story idea of my own on the side. I don't know what it was about this show but I'm forever grateful I turned on the TV that night when BC aired and discovered Mick St. John, Beth Turner, and the absolutely fabulous Josef Kostan.

VF5 :coffee:
Travis and the Tar Pit Tails.....a story by VampFan5
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I've been a reader of fanfiction for 25 years but have never once written a single word before Moonlight. I've done over 125 doll segments. That's scary when I just added it up.

16 stories four of which in a new alternate universe. I can't say what it is about this show because unlike a lot of people in this fandom I have been as passionate about other shows in the past. This just really sparked something in me.
Catmoon
Rogue vampire

Post by Catmoon »

cassysj wrote:I've been a reader of fanfiction for 25 years but have never once written a single word before Moonlight. I've done over 125 doll segments. That's scary when I just added it up.

16 stories four of which in a new alternate universe. I can't say what it is about this show because unlike a lot of people in this fandom I have been as passionate about other shows in the past. This just really sparked something in me.
That's it exactly for me as well, the passion for other shows never did what this one has. I'd love to know what it is. Yes you can say gorgeous cast, interesting characters and storyline, epic love stories... But again, other shows have had that as well. I was thinking of you too, when I posted this thread, because you came up with a unique and clever type of "fanfic" in your doll stories. On the flip side too, is the fact that we do seem to have a disproportionately large number of fans here who were never inspired to get involved in fandom before ML. There's just something about this show...

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I'm not sure I understand it, but there are several factors that worked in favor of Moonlight to guide me to writing fanfiction and joining message boards.
For one, when I was passionate about other shows in my teens (Man from Atlantis, The Hulk, Knight Rider, Star Trek) there simply was no internet. I had no means to join a fanbase. There was the occasional article in a TV guide, and that was that. I made up stories (very Mary Sue) about them, but only in my head.
The next fandom I was passionate about was Lord of the Rings, when the films came out. That was when I discovered internet as a means to get information, pictures, behind-the-scenes stuff. But still I was too shy to join, not sure about my English, not sure what joining a message board could possibly be good for.
I found Moonlight by chance while browsing You Tube for something, I think it was a certain song containing the word Moonlight. I saw a snippet of the Mick interview and was hooked. That was in November 07 I think. When I joined MLL it was the first time I ever did something like that, and I lurked until June 08 without posting. I had no inclination to post. But when it was cancelled, I was so devastated that I just needed a sounding board, sympathy and people who understand. That was when I discovered fandom.
I wrote my first story in June 08, and put a lot of passion into MLL, and since September into mL4ever, and then since January here. I don't know why, but the people I met in fandom are as important as the show to me.
Cinemama
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Cinemama »

Boy...I never thought about joining any kind of fandom before Moonlight. I'm not much of a "joiner". But I saw that first episode, and by the second I was online looking up the actors on IMDB. Not sure how it happened, but I stumbled across a reference to MoonlightFans (I think...), then moved over to MLL when it started up. I was so fascinated with the discussions of the episodes, and how everyone got something different while viewing the same thing. And with how passionate everyone was about it. And with the deep level of discussion you could get into.

There were two really important things that happened in my life because of it...being able to come to fully grasp the concept of archetypes was one. I firmly believe that my writing has been forever improved because of that.

But the second thing was when someone (sorry - can't remember who) posted a link to an MBTI test. That simple test opened up so much information for me. Because guess what the MBTI really is? It's our own archetype, my friends. Instead of the literary types, we get the real people types. (Sadly, they don't correlate exactly - there's some overlap) But they're both based on the work of Carl Jung. Some psychologists/psychiatrists poo-poo this test. (I won't launch into that discussion) But I'll tell you that it has been a real eye-opener for me and fairly annoying for my extended family.

The first awful thing I did was take the test the way I thought my sister would answer :devil: ...and I actually came up with her type, and she was a wee bit peeved with me over it when she took the test herself and confirmed that I was right. Next I picked which type my brother was just because I recognized him in a description. He's the INTP (or Albert Einstein) type. Well, I got him to take the test, and he came out INFP (MY type), but he knew the description didn't fit him. So he decided he would take the test every week for six weeks and average the answers, and that would be his type. I laughed when he told me his scientific plan, because it confirmed my guess. I asked him to just read the INTP write-up and see if it fit. Yup. That was him. So next I decided my husband of 25 years had to be the complete opposite of me...or ESTJ. Read the write-up, and yup. That's him to a tee. He, too, was annoyed with me and said he'd take the test for himself. Sadly, I was right and whether he wants to admit it or not he's an ESTJ.

At this point you're probably all thanking your lucky stars you are NOT a member of my family! I won't go on with my tales, but suffice it to say I've been helping and annoying my family ever since! My poor, poor children! Just checked my bookshelf, and I've now read 8 books on the MBTI plus two little workbooks I found. I love it so much, and see so much usefulness in it, that I've even checked into becoming a certified MBTI practitioner...but that would mean putting aside writing and I can't make that choice!

And all of this because I happened to watch Moonlight one night...
Archetypically speaking, of course...

"Thank God I am Jung and not a Jungian." -Carl Jung, in his opening remarks to a group of Jungians.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

That's interesting what you say about the MBTI test. I took one once and I am ISFJ, or the Protector/Guardian. It's interesting because there are lots of other personality tests, and they always match. In the Enneagram I am a Two.

It helped me a lot to know what makes me tick. I am jumping through loops all the time when I might be of help. It's rewarding, but sometimes I exhaust myself and let others work me into the ground. I have learned to say no and put up boundaries a bit better since I know that this is my personality. It has strengths and weaknesses.

To see this as some kind of archetype is really eye-opening. I wonder which character resembles my personality the most. Maybe a freshie. I don't want to be the submissive type, but maybe I am.
Catmoon
Rogue vampire

Post by Catmoon »

Is there no end to what Moonlight can do? As Cinemama's example shows, the creative inspiration of ML extends to things beyond the show & fannish persuits. Many years ago I used to be into photography. I left it behind long ago, and along the way I lost my "photographer's eye" and started taking snapshots instead of photographs (when I did pick up a camera). I've recently noticed that making ML banners is bringing me back to that artist's perspective. Instead of just looking thru screencaps to see if any ideas come to me, I'm seeing in a different way when I watch the episodes, my eyes are seeing the patterns, shapes, colors, and not just the action. Now I'm pondering the non-ML possibilities, and wondering if I might rekindle my interest.

helloeeze
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by helloeeze »

I'm an INFP and so is my husband. We retook the test again and we both got INFP again. Apparently that is a rare type and we both are the same. It's not necessarily a good thing. He is more an extreme INFP than me, so it makes it hard on me because I am tasked with breaking out of our little mold here and doing fresh things outside our personality, like not doing introverted things and to plan things. On the other hand, we have little conflict.

I think Moonlight is inspiring because the depth of the characters have struck a chord in my own heart, opened me up to new possibilities. I can't really explain it other than that. I also think when something is inspiring, something causes you to feel romance, causes you to feel empathy, sympathy, fear, longing I'm sure it changes your brain chemistry and floods your brain with certain hormones that cause feelings that you wouldn't ordinarily have. Like a lover writing poetry. I hate to just break it down to chemistry though but for me it's part of it I'm sure.
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

Catmoon wrote:Is there no end to what Moonlight can do? As Cinemama's example shows, the creative inspiration of ML extends to things beyond the show & fannish persuits. Many years ago I used to be into photography. I left it behind long ago, and along the way I lost my "photographer's eye" and started taking snapshots instead of photographs (when I did pick up a camera). I've recently noticed that making ML banners is bringing me back to that artist's perspective. Instead of just looking thru screencaps to see if any ideas come to me, I'm seeing in a different way when I watch the episodes, my eyes are seeing the patterns, shapes, colors, and not just the action. Now I'm pondering the non-ML possibilities, and wondering if I might rekindle my interest.
That's odd you said that, about seeing the episodes differently since you scoped the screencaps for banner material. I had not read this until now, but a few hours ago, I rewatched Fever, and found myself looking at all the colors, images, sets, set-ups, etc., where before I had not. I look at the screencaps for snark material, game material, etc. As I watched the episode, I started noticing things I had not before due to looking at screencaps so much.
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
Catmoon
Rogue vampire

Post by Catmoon »

helloeeze wrote: I also think when something is inspiring, something causes you to feel romance, causes you to feel empathy, sympathy, fear, longing I'm sure it changes your brain chemistry and floods your brain with certain hormones that cause feelings that you wouldn't ordinarily have. Like a lover writing poetry. I hate to just break it down to chemistry though but for me it's part of it I'm sure.
"Like a lover writing poetry." That's a beautiful way to put it, and I think you're exactly right. That just leaves the why this particlar show. Since I've just been reading Cinemama's archetypes, I might hazard a guess that it's because the characters are such wonderful archetypes, they call to our subconscious in a way many show, even good ones, don't. ML is almost an epic, it's a hero's journey. Now that I think about it, the one other show that inspired me beyond the norm (and coicidentally the only other show I've had muses with) was Quantum Leap. Again, it was a classic tale in many ways, Don Quixote tilting at windmills, one man "putting right what once went wrong."

Wow. Thanks, Cinemama! You've just helped me answer a question I always wondered about but had no clue. Why were the muses for these shows so strong, yet other shows I've been in love with I just could never 'connect' with a character muse. It always mystified me. They're both such different shows, and not types I'd normally be interested in. Now I know why!
wollstonecraft61 wrote:That's odd you said that, about seeing the episodes differently since you scoped the screencaps for banner material. I had not read this until now, but a few hours ago, I rewatched Fever, and found myself looking at all the colors, images, sets, set-ups, etc., where before I had not. I look at the screencaps for snark material, game material, etc. As I watched the episode, I started noticing things I had not before due to looking at screencaps so much.
I have a feeling we might have stumbled upon a trick/exercise that's suggested to artists to help them overcome an "artists block." :snicker: I guess it remains to be seen whether this impacts the way I see the whole world, or just the ML eps.

bluedahlia3
Rogue vampire
Location: Strolling down a foggy street, collar popped up, emoting cigarette smoke

Post by bluedahlia3 »

When Forever Knight got cancelled I started writing fic. I had no idea what I was doing was really fan fic. Nothing I ever wrote got posted anywhere, I was unaware of the extensive FN fan boards. I just hated the ending of the show and so I wrote my own. For those that aren't aware of the FK show, the writers killed off about two-thirds of the cast. This was a show I had watched for three years and it was devastating to me. All my favorite characters and the male lead, his mortal love interest... gone. NO! Not in my universe. So I wrote. Not having a support group, eventually I stopped. Here we appreciate what we are all doing, and so the saga continues. I guess it's one of the reasons why this board is so important to me. :mooncat:
"I'm only wearing black until they come up with something darker." LaCroix
Forever grateful to Trevor Munson for his gift.
Cinemama
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Cinemama »

bluedahlia3 wrote:When Forever Knight got cancelled I started writing fic. I had no idea what I was doing was really fan fic. Nothing I ever wrote got posted anywhere, I was unaware of the extensive FN fan boards. I just hated the ending of the show and so I wrote my own. For those that aren't aware of the FK show, the writers killed off about two-thirds of the cast. This was a show I had watched for three years and it was devastating to me. All my favorite characters and the male lead, his mortal love interest... gone. NO! Not in my universe. So I wrote. Not having a support group, eventually I stopped. Here we appreciate what we are all doing, and so the saga continues. I guess it's one of the reasons why this board is so important to me. :mooncat:
I'm with you, bluedahlia! When a movie ends horribly, I imagine a different ending for myself. Sommersby, anyone?

I'm new to this board, but am already feeling more inspired than I have since MLL vanished. I mentioned before that I'm not much of a joiner, and any of you fellow introverts know what I mean. But I do enjoy connecting with people, and so a place like this gives us a way to connect and keep that creativity flowing!
Archetypically speaking, of course...

"Thank God I am Jung and not a Jungian." -Carl Jung, in his opening remarks to a group of Jungians.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Cinemama wrote:
bluedahlia3 wrote:When Forever Knight got cancelled I started writing fic. I had no idea what I was doing was really fan fic. Nothing I ever wrote got posted anywhere, I was unaware of the extensive FN fan boards. I just hated the ending of the show and so I wrote my own. For those that aren't aware of the FK show, the writers killed off about two-thirds of the cast. This was a show I had watched for three years and it was devastating to me. All my favorite characters and the male lead, his mortal love interest... gone. NO! Not in my universe. So I wrote. Not having a support group, eventually I stopped. Here we appreciate what we are all doing, and so the saga continues. I guess it's one of the reasons why this board is so important to me. :mooncat:
I'm with you, bluedahlia! When a movie ends horribly, I imagine a different ending for myself. Sommersby, anyone?

I'm new to this board, but am already feeling more inspired than I have since MLL vanished. I mentioned before that I'm not much of a joiner, and any of you fellow introverts know what I mean. But I do enjoy connecting with people, and so a place like this gives us a way to connect and keep that creativity flowing!
Okay, several things...Blue, so agree with HATING the end of FK. It's taken me years to be able to watch any of the eps again, and I'll NEVER willingly watch the series finale again. So horrible. I'd a thousand times rather leave with our ML closing door, than what they did to Forever Knight.

And cinemama, you got that right about Sommersby. I recall sitting around with friends going, you know, they could have written the end differently so easily.

As for sparking creativity, I hadn't written fiction in about 20 years, before ML came along. Since then...well, I 've posted a story or two, as you may be aware. It's made me think about writing in a completely different way.

Lucky
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

I'm a nonfiction type of person and, until recently, did not even own a television. I never would have known Moonlight existed except that by a very strange circumstance I ended up with a TV and was bored one Friday evening. If you had told me the premise of the show I would have laughed and moved on, but luckily, nobody did and I sat down and watched. As someone said, "you had me at please leave." This show taught me how important the arts are. It isn't highbrow or anything, but the cast made me believe. I now understand the value of fiction and drama in our lives. When done properly, it puts you in touch with so much.

Also, there are some amazing folks in this fandom. The fanfic is downright inspiring and the people are first class. I like that the fan base has been effective on real things (blood and marrow drives) as opposed to some of the gimmicks used to garner attention (such as flooding some mailroom clerk with a bunch of junk)

I like that we take the time to teach and encourage each other, both in writing and in RL. Folks check in on each other. It is a community. Also, if you follow a writer's stories you can watch the improvement over time. This is surely related to the many writing forums and time we spend helping each other improve.

I never would have expected all that from a tv drama. Maybe is has something to do with the show's theme of reconnecting with humanity. Just a thought.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo

Return to “100% Moonlight”