Moonlight DVD thought... we are lucky!

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Moonlight DVD thought... we are lucky!

Post by wpgrace »

Yes... this article states it was once run on BET...

Good catch, as always, Lucky Librarian! :hug:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Josefismysire
Courtesan

Post by Josefismysire »

wollstonecraft61 wrote:
librarian_7 wrote:That was a show I watched, and liked--and it was a critical darling at the time, too. I seem to recall that it had a run of repeats on BET, but maybe I'm hallucinating.

It always seems to me that shows set outside New York or Los Angeles have a tough time of it. I know there are exceptions, but as a general rule, the networks seem most comfortable with things with familiar locations.

(And as a side note--we've been watching the weekly repeats of WKRP on WGN every Sunday. What a great, funny series!)

Lucky
I agree, Lucky, WKRP, Taxi, Evening Shade, shows like these are gems. They were well-written, funny, they didn't patronize or treat the audience as if it were an embecile, and just delightful to watch as a family. Fortunately one of the best is still shown in this PC-world, All in the Family.
My all-time favorite is still M*A*S*H. I have seen every episode more times than I can count..and it still makes me smile, laugh and cry. Great show. Superb writers. Fantastic cast.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Josefismysire wrote:
wollstonecraft61 wrote:[I agree, Lucky, WKRP, Taxi, Evening Shade, shows like these are gems. They were well-written, funny, they didn't patronize or treat the audience as if it were an embecile, and just delightful to watch as a family. Fortunately one of the best is still shown in this PC-world, All in the Family.
My all-time favorite is still M*A*S*H. I have seen every episode more times than I can count..and it still makes me smile, laugh and cry. Great show. Superb writers. Fantastic cast.
Oh, heavens...at my house, M*A*S*H is usually on 4-6 eps per day. If it's on, my husband is watching it. Good thing I like it, too.

Lucky
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Whenever I come home from work my sister has MASH on. I bought her the dvd set but still it's on.
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

Yep, we are blessed alright. There are a lot of TV shows that deserve to be on DVD that aren't. Plus, there are shows that are treated like ML and have no extras, like one of my fave shows, Wings. Even the screen quality of some of the episodes aren't that great. :(

I remember Frank's Place, but don't think I watched it. I was 11 in 1987, so I was watching other stuff like reruns of The Monkees. Heh.
*Christy*

AggieVamp
Rogue vampire

Post by AggieVamp »

We are so lucky - my other fandom show/obsession is Beauty and the Beast - from the late 80's. We *just* got the DVDs within the past 3 years. All of the eps - and NO EXTRAS... But I'm not complaining - I just wish I knew what to do with all the VCR taped copies of the episodes I have.... :snicker:

Karen
Banner by HotMicks

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional - and I Opt NOT to Grow Up!
:petcat: :petcat:
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Thank you, grace, for that information. I am counting my blessings.

I did not watch Frank's Place but I do remember the name. I'll be watching for this one on DVD with crossed fingers.
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Does anyone remember the TV show Due South (about a Canadian Mountie and his "deaf" half-wolf working with a police detective in Chicago) from the mid-90s? It started as a made-for-TV pilot movie that was so successful, they decided to make it into a drama (with lots of comedic relief) series.

CTV aired it in Canada; CBS was the station that picked it up in the US. CBS also cancelled it after the first season (sound familiar? :grumble: ) The production company managed to come up with money for a second season, though, because it was so popular in Canada. Then after CBS's fall line-up bombed (does that also sound familiar? some of Moonlight's replacements, anyone?), they ordered more episodes (unfortunately that doesn't sound familiar--and then they cancelled it again after the end of the second season anyway). Because it was an international production, there are different DVD sets, and apparently some of those don't have extras either (sounds familiar!).

Also interesting thing: there ended up being another one or two seasons (though not in the US) after CBS cancelled it the second time through other international funding (I think it was big in the UK, maybe elsewhere as well). But the actor (David Marciano) who played Detective Vecchio in the first two seasons didn't come back, because after that second cancellation he had been offered a development deal with CBS (granted, I don't know if it was anything like Alex O'Loughlin's) and Due South could only offer him a reduced salary. Looks like he should have taken the reduced salary, from a glance at his IMDB page--he didn't get a major role in series until about a decade later on the Shield (hmm...who do we also know that was on the Shield?)!

Funny, eh?
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

I remember this show. I think I saw the pilot, but that was all. The pilot was good, though.
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Wow... how weird is it that almost all these shows are from CBS?
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
jmc
Rogue vampire

Post by jmc »

wpgrace wrote:Wow... how weird is it that almost all these shows are from CBS?
A pattern of behavior . . . :Mickangel:

. . . Love is strong as death . . . - Song of Solomon 8: 6
"fiercely faithful"

My beautiful MickBeth avatar by Twilightdew. My beautiful banner courtesy of the very talented Phoenix.

Return to “100% Moonlight”