SFX magazine doing a Moonlight ep guide with Alex comments

oncebitten
Freelance freshie

Re: SFX magazine doing a Moonlight ep guide with Alex comments

Post by oncebitten »

coco, thank you so much for posting this! :hug: I too had looked for the magazine and found only the June issue. (I believe the Vampire issue may be a special edition and perhaps not even the regualar July issue. :?) You really are a saint for typing all that just for us! :rose: It's very interesting reading!

Thanks to Tug for my awesome avatar.
Tag by Barnabus
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

coco, thanks so much for the heads-up to try Smiths. I finally found some copies. When I asked if they had any more, the woman at the counter looked at me as though I'd grown an extra head...

And of course it was depressing that everywhere I looked, this magazine is stacked in the "Men's Interests" section. Grrrrr.

I haven't actually opened it yet - I'm too excited. :giggle:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

redwinter101 wrote:coco, thanks so much for the heads-up to try Smiths. I finally found some copies. When I asked if they had any more, the woman at the counter looked at me as though I'd grown an extra head...

And of course it was depressing that everywhere I looked, this magazine is stacked in the "Men's Interests" section. Grrrrr.

I haven't actually opened it yet - I'm too excited. :giggle:

Red
Yay! I'm so pleased you got one. I had that same excitement when I opened mine. I went straight to the Top 50 Vamps section as I wanted to know where Mick placed but then I found the ML ep section and I was in heaven. You'll get a giggle from the snarky pic comments too. :thumbs:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
realtor
Mortal

Post by realtor »

Coco, I want to add my thanks for sharing this with us,particularly since you must be exhausted(albeit pleasently) from the BBM!
i agree with all the previous comments regarding Alex's frank comments as well as his spot on interpretation of Mick with all his demons, depth of feeling,and total hotness. i fear we may never see the like again,unless and until we get a movie (and it can ONLY be done with Alex...I don't think there are too many fans that would except ML without him....)
Again, you rock Coco..XOXOXO :smooch:
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

Can't remember if the direct link to the magazine had been posted yet, but here it is, just in case :wave: http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=sfx_vampire_special
banner by Cprav
jmc
Rogue vampire

Post by jmc »

Adding my thanks, too, coco. :rose:
I was thinking about the extras we didn't get in the dvd when I started reading Alex's comments also. It's almost subversive but SFX and Alex got us some commentary anyway.

. . . Love is strong as death . . . - Song of Solomon 8: 6
"fiercely faithful"

My beautiful MickBeth avatar by Twilightdew. My beautiful banner courtesy of the very talented Phoenix.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Fabulous! I looked at the internet link but didn't see where I could order a single issue. I agree that it looked like a special issue but I'd really like to get one.

As for Alex O'Laughlin's take on the Mick St. John character, it stands to reason that he would have a great deal of insight into the character. What we saw was his interpretation of what the writers crafted. In many ways, Mick was The Perfect Man. Our ideals change subtly with what is valued and in Mick, we see a strong, heroic-by-choice, complicated man, with a charming touch of shyness, a lot of emotional vulnerability and and willingness to put his life on the line for those he has chosen to protect. Attractive, but not a walking arrow-shirt-commercial. He has been forced to travel to dark places in his soul, has chosen to turn away from them and wants to be a positive influence in the world around him. Amazing.

Alex O'Laughlin is a true craftsman for his character to have developed such a loyal fan base. (I certainly count myself among them.)

As for Three Rivers...

Well, suffice it to say that topping Moonlight with its charm, amazing chemistry and ambiance will be a tall order.
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Post by Moonlightsonata »

I called London to order a single copy about a month ago and the magazine was fully sold out. If you are willing to pay about $40 (which includes shipping) you might be able to still get a copy on Ebay.

I don't know why when this sold out so fast that the publisher didn't just print more.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.
aolver
Rogue vampire

Post by aolver »

I just read Alex's commentary on all 16 episodes. Hmmmmmm...Sounds like he was falling for Beth until Coraline came back Mick knew it was a bad idea to go back to Coraline because they were not good together and he was better off without her. But then he put Beth second to Coraline in his heart. It is all confusing to me more than ever. I'm suddenly questioning Mick's true feelings for Beth, according to Alex's interpretation. I also got the impression that the ending of Sonata is not how he wanted it to be. Alex did not want Mick to go back to Beth and be with her. I guess at the time Alex assumed they were getting a second season and the MickBeth drama could have continued to torment us. It would have ended with no closure. Alex made Mick more conflicted than any creature that ever walked this earth. Guess that's what made Mick so wonderful to us. We love his angst and conflicting feelings. Now I understand Beth's strange behavior. I would not want to be second on Mick's love list and I get the feeling she felt that way. What a show! We could hash it out forever, and we might.... :h
Last edited by aolver on Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beautiful banner and avatar by Skylar
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

MyImmortal, who lives in Toronto, Canada, found several copies of the Vampire SFX issue at a newsstand and bought them. She has offered to sell them at her cost, which is approximately $21 USD plus shipping. For delivery to US addresses, that will come to about $30 USD or a little more.

If you are interested, please PM me, and I'll put you in touch with her.
Josefismysire
Courtesan

Post by Josefismysire »

I disagree, aolver. I think Mick really did love Beth, but yes..his feelings for Coraline were still strong and raw. After all, he loved her enough to marry her and then to stay with her for (however long) as her fledgling after he was turned. There is a very fine line between Love and Hate. Beth awakened new, human feelings in Mick and he was struggling to deal with that .. it was more comfortable for him to love/hate Coraline..he had been doing that for most of his "life"..his feelings for Beth were new territory and it made him uncomfortable.

I think Beth just made it possible for Mick to feel that he was able to love again.. and to care about a human woman as more than a "meal"..that's what made Mick so conflicted. With Coraline, there was no conflict. She was a vampire like he was..the same. Nothing to "protect" or to be gentle with...it made Beth almost irresistable..her "otherness"..

That's my take, anyway..

editted as per mod request
Last edited by Josefismysire on Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lupine
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Lupine »

For anyone who is interested...I just got back from my local Barnes and Noble and they had 2 copies of the special with Alex's commentary. Now they only have one, but the issues seem to come late to the stores here. I live in the NE. Good luck to those still looking.
aolver
Rogue vampire

Post by aolver »

There are so many ways to interpret moonlight and all of it's complexities. We all have different thoughts and ideas about this and no one is wrong or right about how they see things, and there are so many ways to see it. Alex's way of seeing itis the one that counts. Mine is just my ideas after reading his ideas. I also have a way of changing my mind over different viewings of the show. It still would have been upsetting to me if Mick had kept walking down that hallway, never to return. Closure is good, at least for me.
Beautiful banner and avatar by Skylar
Albra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Albra »

:heart: Thank you so much Coco ! :rose:

But for you I probably never could read this. :hug:

All this confirmed my conviction that :

ALEX IS EVERY INCH PROFESSIONAL

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

I love that this is back in active topics. :yahoo:

I was so happy to do this when I got this mag as everyone who is a ML fan and an Alex fan deserves to read what he thought of his show too. :hearts:

aolover I can sort of understand why you interpreted his comments that way. I believe that Alex was a fan of the angst and the drama side of Mick and the Coraline stories gave him more of that and he got to show so much of the "other Mick" during the two M/C eps specifically. However, I definitely think he was a fan of the M/B side too. You only have to read his comments on BC and some of the others to see that. I think he didn't want them together quite so soon because he, like us, wanted seasons for that story to progress and lots more of the back and forth subtle stuff that made that pairing so amazing. Even I as a die-hard MickBeth shipper thought it was all a little too sudden but because I don't have any other eps to watch it all unfold, I'm more than happy with the ending they gave me. :heart:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:

Return to “100% Moonlight”