Question to which there may be no answer

Sparrow
Freelance freshie

Question to which there may be no answer

Post by Sparrow »

Was it ever said if ML vampires were able to read/control minds? I know of course they could "see the past" but was it ever explored any other telepathic ability??
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Question to which there may be no answer

Post by francis »

I don't think so. First, it would have been to much like Twilight (the book). Second, then Mick wouldn't have had to go to such lengths in his P.I. work, he would just read what he needed to know. Especially with Morgan/Coraline. He would have known Josef's secret with Sarah. I don't think he could read minds, and Josef couldn't either.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I agree with francis. No mind control for ML vamps.

Lucky
Sparrow
Freelance freshie

Post by Sparrow »

Awesome..thanks guys. Now my fic will be just so shiney!
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

The original script held that vampires had hypnotic abilities, but couldn't read minds.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Who could look at Mick or Josef...and fail to hypnotized?

Lucky
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

I'll give ya that, Lucky. ;-)

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

Hypnotic could just mean super-pheromones. ;)
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I feel strongly that Moonlight-verse vampires do not have mind-control nor telepathic powers. They have incredibly good senses that allow them to absorb information that the rest of us don't get. So they're kinda like super-Sherlock Holmes types. In addition to the vamp abilities, Mick also has the training to use deduction in order to figure things out. When Mick sniffed in the show and they showed little flashbacks, I interpreted the flashes to be information that Mick was able to pick up based on scent. For example, when he sniffed the dead convenience store clerk in Dr. F., he could smell the pulverized chips, smell the vampire's scent, smell the terror of the attendant as he was killed. So he pieced the scenario together. I believe that the "smell the past, glimpse the future" was poetic overstatement on Mick's part.

On the other hand, vampire powers weren't stated conclusively, which means that fic writers get to make their own interpretations in their stories. Yay! :D
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Heightened senses, a heavy dose of vamp allure. But no telepathy.
lunalux
Fledgling

Post by lunalux »

Strictly speaking, no - neither ability was ever addressed on the show, however both have been attributed to vampires in vampire mythology, but I defer to Lucky7 as the expert.

In BC, Beth talks about feeling people's lives and being close to everything. What that exactly means is, in my view, open to interpretation. In my opinion, it is conceivable that there were other abilities available to them not revealed during the 16 episodes (especially in the context that they weren't limited by constraints faced by other vampires (sunlight, surviving fire (the Duvalls), stakes not killing them). One could infer from that they are more powerful than conventional vampires (who have the abilities you mention). I tend to look at it from the standpoint that what was specifically excluded is not possible, but what was not mentioned is possible. Except for sparkling and unicorns....To paraphrase Mick from one of my fics "Yeah, right. They may be vampires, they're just not our kind of vampires." JMO
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

That's the joy of fanfic. I consider your stuff to be within canon, Luna, because it doesn't violate anything stated on the show. It extrapolates, sure--but so does every story that continues the Moonlight universe past the end of Sonata. In my own stories, Mick can't read Beth's mind...but if you took that level of communication out of your stories, it would change them irretrievably--to my eternal sorrow.
moonlight_vixen
Courtesan

Post by moonlight_vixen »

librarian_7 wrote:Who could look at Mick or Josef...and fail to hypnotized?

Lucky
Good question. Not me, that's for sure.... :lol:
Banner And Avatar By Me
______________________________________________________________________________________
Proud Josef Exclusive+
Proud Co-Founder Of Maroon-A-Holics
THINK KOSTAN!
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

First of all, apologies for mixing apples and oranges. I never got the impression that the Moonlight vamps had any kind of telepathic abilities. Yet, in my Josef & Emma saga, Josef has, (or had), the ability to read Emma's mind (up to a point). Having said that, around about ten chapters in, Josef explains that he's never experienced a telepathic connection with anyone else, apart from Emma. It was always about the two of them, not a general thing among vampires...
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

There could easily be allowances for vampires to sense those they've turned or fed from. They wouldn't be telepathic on a regular basis, but add blood sharing to the mix and it's a deep connection.

Return to “100% Moonlight”