Moonlight DVD ranking on The-numbers.com - updated 4/22

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: Moonlight DVD ranking on The-numbers.com - updated 4/21

Post by allegrita »

Just a note to say I've edited the title of this thread to reflect the most recent update. :wave:
VAsusieQ18
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by VAsusieQ18 »

Believe me, as much as I wish it otherwise, all I can think is that Alex's Criminal Minds episode and hopefully a CBS pickup of Three Rivers will find an audience and generate new fans. Cuz otherwise, I see little hope for a Moonlight movie. :sadface: Not with these sales numbers. The only hope I see is if the Moonlight DVDs can continue to show a profit over a sustained period of time, thus my comment about Alex finding a new fanbase that will be interested in his other works. And I don't want to exclude Jason, especially since a lot of the Moonlight fans came to the show through Jason and his role on Veronica Mars.
Beautiful banner and avatar by sirensong!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Have to agree, Susie...if/when Jason has a new project airing, he'll generate new ML fans...heck, for example, I went out and bought the Veronica Mars dvds because I fell so hard for Josef. And I expect that pattern will continue. Fans of the new work will seek out the older stuff, and fall in love with it from there.

Lucky
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

librarian_7 wrote:Have to agree, Susie...if/when Jason has a new project airing, he'll generate new ML fans...heck, for example, I went out and bought the Veronica Mars dvds because I fell so hard for Josef. And I expect that pattern will continue. Fans of the new work will seek out the older stuff, and fall in love with it from there.

Lucky
Did the same thing...Jason looked sooo young in VM
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I fell for Josef with Sleeping Beauty. (I know late to the party, smack me) After I went to NY Comic-Con last year and saw Jason I went home imdb and Veronica Mars found it's way into my home. Then several movies on dvd and even one on vhs made it's way to my home. :whistle: I do sometimes wonder as a consumer shopping household, I must scan every purchase and upload weekly what the marketers think of my eclectic tastes.
Last edited by cassysj on Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
VAsusieQ18
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by VAsusieQ18 »

Yup, I went out and bought all the Veronica Mars DVDs after Sleeping Beauty. Up until then, Josef was a bit of a snarky jerk to me! Sorry, Lucky, don't kill me! :chair: But after Sleeping Beauty, I was sold on Josef...and Jason! Having met this wonderful young man on several occasions, I can honestly say that Jason will have a fan in me for life! :cheer:
Beautiful banner and avatar by sirensong!
Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Post by Moonlightsonata »

I have to say I wish the DVD sales were better but given that there were no extras - and it is my understanding that there are always extras - I guess we should be somewhat grateful that they are what they are. Particularly since Warner Bros. originally wasn't even going to have a DVD. Whatever they made from this is gravy. I hope some of it went to the cast. Still a Moonlight movie would mean so much.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

VAsusieQ18 wrote:Yup, I went out and bought all the Veronica Mars DVDs after Sleeping Beauty. Up until then, Josef was a bit of a snarky jerk to me! Sorry, Lucky, don't kill me! :chair: But after Sleeping Beauty, I was sold on Josef...and Jason! Having met this wonderful young man on several occasions, I can honestly say that Jason will have a fan in me for life! :cheer:
I'll let it slide, since you've seen the light...I learned to love the character, and have since become just a huge Jason fan, because he's such a lovely person. (And I'm talking INNER beauty here, folks.) Fan for life, you betcha!

:kostan:

Lucky
jmc
Rogue vampire

Post by jmc »

I had never seen an episode of VM when I bought all three seasons because of Jason. I didn't like the Shield but bought the 6th season for Alex. Am already planning on buying the current season of CM for one episode of Vincent.
We're that dedicated. Do you thinkg new fans will be?

. . . Love is strong as death . . . - Song of Solomon 8: 6
"fiercely faithful"

My beautiful MickBeth avatar by Twilightdew. My beautiful banner courtesy of the very talented Phoenix.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

jmc wrote:I had never seen an episode of VM when I bought all three seasons because of Jason. I didn't like the Shield but bought the 6th season for Alex. Am already planning on buying the current season of CM for one episode of Vincent.
We're that dedicated. Do you thinkg new fans will be?
how can they not?

with all the behind the scenes drama on ML, we still got a wonderful story brought to life by a very talented and complementary cast...what ever project Alex or Jason bring their talents to bear on, will engender appreciative fans.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
MoonMad
Fledgling

Re: Moonlight DVD ranking on The-numbers.com - updated 3/25

Post by MoonMad »

TCMLfan wrote:I emailed Bruce Nash at thenumbers.com and he was very generous to answer some of my questions and even gave me the up to date estimate sales on the Moonlight DVDs. Here's what he had to say.
Thanks for your email. We do plan to expand our coverage of TV shows in the coming months, so look out for some more complete charts in that area soon.

In the meantime, I can tell you that Moonlight has currently sold 164,753 units and generated $4,281,930 in consumer spending at retail, according to our estimates.
It looks like the DVDs have only sold around 10,000 in the past 3 1/2 weeks since Lilly gave us an update on 3/25. Meh

It'll be interesting to see how Alex's new show Three Rivers does. Obviously, we all want him to do well. It could end up helping Moonlight DVD sales if his fan base grows because of that show... then maybe we could get a Moonlight movie sometime in the next 2 years(dreaming) or maybe someone will at least see his potential on screen and want Moonlight back... yeah, yeah... I'm a dreamer.
Thanks TCMLfan for the updated sales figures. I thought sales would slow down considerably after the first rush was over. I honestly can't see a ML movie happening either. If Joel Silver couldn't be bothered bankrolling a VM movie which I'm sure sold many more units than ML with it's critical acclaim and three seasons, then I don't see him interested in little old (albeit beloved) ML. I'm very hopeful though that if Alex's show TR proves successful, and he ends up with another die hard fanbase, there'll be a resurgence of ML DVD sales. I think Alex's success will be the best chance of getting more ML in the future. It also may be the reason why it doesn't happen. If Alex ends up so popular he might not have the time (or desire) to revisit Mick St John. Terribly ironic it would be too.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

LOL! Mandy, so true!

Joel does not seem very interested in Moonlight... witness the DVD's with no extras whatsoever in the first place... much less all the weirdness last spring!

And yes, the irony IS, the more successful Alex becomes, the more attention to Moonlight and perhaps the more interest in it by Joel or whoever else needs to be interested to make a movie... but possibly the less time and interest that ALEX will have in it... There's a noir story in there somewhere... :Mickangel:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

librarian_7 wrote:Have to agree, Susie...if/when Jason has a new project airing, he'll generate new ML fans...heck, for example, I went out and bought the Veronica Mars dvds because I fell so hard for Josef. And I expect that pattern will continue. Fans of the new work will seek out the older stuff, and fall in love with it from there.

Lucky
LoL, I was the opposite. I've said it before, but the only reason I kept watching ML's pilot was because I happened to turn it on just before one of JD's scenes. I knew I'd seen him somewhere before, but I couldn't figure out who he was. Took me the rest of the episode to realize he was "that guy from Veronica Mars". I always liked Logan's character on that show, even when he was a jerk.
one.zebra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by one.zebra »

Susie, it took Sleeping Beauty for me to get hooked on Josef too! He just seemed too shallow. once we found out he had some depth, the public Josef made a lot of sense....
Banner and avatar by Twilightdew!

Travelling 33rpm in an iPod world
jmc
Rogue vampire

Post by jmc »

wpgrace wrote:LOL! Mandy, so true!

Joel does not seem very interested in Moonlight... witness the DVD's with no extras whatsoever in the first place... much less all the weirdness last spring!

And yes, the irony IS, the more successful Alex becomes, the more attention to Moonlight and perhaps the more interest in it by Joel or whoever else needs to be interested to make a movie... but possibly the less time and interest that ALEX will have in it... There's a noir story in there somewhere... :Mickangel:
There sure is! The more time has passed the more Joel has looked like the real bad guy in this whole business to me. He could have polished up those dvds and put in great extras but I don't know that he even tried.
And much as I hate the whole 'actor-centric' thing because I feel it denigrates everyone else's contributions, there's no Moonlight without the original cast.

. . . Love is strong as death . . . - Song of Solomon 8: 6
"fiercely faithful"

My beautiful MickBeth avatar by Twilightdew. My beautiful banner courtesy of the very talented Phoenix.

Return to “100% Moonlight”