Moonlight DVD ranking on The-numbers.com - updated 4/22

Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Re: Moonlight DVD ranking on The-numbers.com - updated 4/21

Post by Moonlightsonata »

I agree there is no Moonlight without the original cast.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.
TCMLfan
Mortal

Post by TCMLfan »

I agree about the cast but only to an extent. As much as I loved Logan, etc... the only cast that would HAVE to be back would be the big 3 to me. Alex, Sophie and Jason. Shannon, even if she had success in another show, could possibly show up for a guest appearance here for there for ML if needed. Everyone is right though that there's no show without Alex, Sophie and Jason.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

It occurred to me that we have the hard sales figures here, but we really don't know how to interpret them. This afternoon I contacted Bruce at The-numbers.com to ask him how the Moonlight DVD set ranked among TV show DVDs for YTD sales.

This was his response:

That's a good question.

Moonlight is currently ranked 5 among TV shows. The top 5, for sales in 2009 only is:

Battlestar Galactica Season 4.0 -- 300,000
South Park Season 12 -- 270,000
Lost Season 4 -- 265,000
The Tudors Season 2 -- 200,000
Moonlight -- 165,000

The really big sellers historically (The Office, Grey's Anatomy, Family Guy) have sold over 2 million units over their lifetime, according to our estimates. Lost is the best seller in recent months, totaling just over 1 million, including sales at the end of 2008.

Hope this helps put things in perspective.

For a little show with only 16 episodes, this seems darn respectable to me. At this point, my hope for the DVD sales is that they continue to show support for the cast and creative team that brought us Moonlight. I have no idea if any of them will get even a penny of what we spend, but hopefully they will take some satisfaction in knowing that their "product" is still appreciated.

ETA: Both The Tudors Season 2 and Battlestar Galactica Season 4 were released on 1/6/2009, two weeks before ML. Lost Season 4 was released on 12/9/2008. I could not find info for South Park Season 12.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Re: Moonlight DVD ranking on The-numbers.com - updated 4/22

Post by wondergirl9847 »

Thanks for the updates!

I'm going to buy another set to take to London to get signed and have an extra to watch. The autographed one will be put away never to be touched! LOL

Also going to buy copies for family members for Christmas since we couldn't do that last year.
*Christy*

TCMLfan
Mortal

Post by TCMLfan »

Thanks for the update Lilly. That's very encouraging. When put up against Movie DVD sales ML's units sold looks rather low but it does have to be put into perspective. Bruce was generous enough to answer my questions about the site and even talked about them bringing more updated charts to TV show DVDs which should be fun to follow.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

According to Amazon.com, who are usually pretty reliable about such things, South Park Season 12 was released March 10, 2009.

And completely :offtopic: but how in the world does a crass, miserable show like South Park make it to TWELVE seasons????

Lucky
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

librarian_7 wrote:how in the world does a crass, miserable show like South Park make it to TWELVE seasons????

What kind of college students do they get at A&M? (They are, sadly, the "ideal" audience for television)
bluedahlia3
Rogue vampire
Location: Strolling down a foggy street, collar popped up, emoting cigarette smoke

Post by bluedahlia3 »

I think Lilly is right, one of the things thats hurts ML sales is the 16 episodes. (and NO extras). They really didn't put much into the DVD. I remember Alex saying he would be willing to do some new stuff (VO's or the like). So for what it is I think our little DVD did really well. And I don't know why cr*p sells, I do know it makes me mad! :wtf: :slappy: bhead2: :blahblah: :dizzy: :beep: :mob:
"I'm only wearing black until they come up with something darker." LaCroix
Forever grateful to Trevor Munson for his gift.
AggieVamp
Rogue vampire

Post by AggieVamp »

librarian_7 wrote:According to Amazon.com, who are usually pretty reliable about such things, South Park Season 12 was released March 10, 2009.

And completely :offtopic: but how in the world does a crass, miserable show like South Park make it to TWELVE seasons????

Lucky
Because some people are (very) easily amused - and not in a good way. :giggle:

Karen
Banner by HotMicks

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional - and I Opt NOT to Grow Up!
:petcat: :petcat:
darlingcat
Courtesan

Post by darlingcat »

AggieVamp wrote:
librarian_7 wrote:According to Amazon.com, who are usually pretty reliable about such things, South Park Season 12 was released March 10, 2009.

Lucky
Because some people are (very) easily amused - and not in a good way. :giggle:

Karen
People's taste, or the lack of, never ceases to amaze me. And not in a good way!
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

Lucky
Isn't Family Guy pretty crass and gross too? Look how popular THAT show is.

Irritating, isn't it?
*Christy*

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Crass yes... and these shows only cost about $1.98 to make... racing to the bottom...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)

Return to “100% Moonlight”