Unfinished Business (Challenge #149) -- PG-13

A place for Librarian_7's G to PG-13 stories
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Unfinished Business (Challenge #149) -- PG-13

Post by librarian_7 »

So, I decided to tackle a conundrum that’s been much discussed since 2007…and in some ways, it’s a bit of ‘unfinished business’ from the series itself. Here’s a theory about, well, you’ll just have to read it and find out. Usual disclaimers apply—I don’t own anything from Moonlight, I just like to play with the concepts.

Unfinished Business

Bob Vincent hung up the phone and took a deep breath, trying to still the shaking in his hands. He looked through the arched doorway into the living room. Jennifer was slumped on the couch, staring at the TV. She was pouting as only a 14-year-old can, angry at him for making her turn down the volume when the phone rang.

Every once in a while, a call would come; someone asking questions about his daughter, Morgan. He didn't believe for a minute that this latest caller was really from the Northwestern Alumni Association. He'd been coached, of course, on how to respond. Yes, Morgan was his oldest daughter. Yes, she'd moved to Los Angeles recently. No, he didn't have an address for her. She was still finding her feet, looking for a permanent place. As far as he knew, she was staying with some old college friends. And no, he didn't happen to have their names.

Jennifer had her feet up on the coffee table again, but he didn't have the heart to give her any grief about it. He was too easy on her, he knew, but it was only two of them now. Sandra was gone, who knew where, and Morgan… It broke his heart to think about Morgan.

He'd given everything away for the sake of vengeance, only to discover that vengeance was worth nothing, and the bargain he'd made had turned him into nothing more than a loose end, a piece of unfinished business.

The next step was to call the number, the one he'd memorized the night he'd made his deal with the devil. Devils, really. He wasn't sure which one scared him more, the brunette or the blonde. But he'd be talking to one of them soon, and if his luck was really out, one of them might be on his doorstep before the night was through. He thought about sending Jennifer away, but where would she go where those two couldn't find her? At 14, there was no way she could survive on her own.

He buried his face in his hands. He'd just have to see it through, and hope they would agree that he’d held up his end of the deal.

Those years ago, they’d seemed like avenging angels. Like the answer to his anguished prayers. It still hurt to think about it, but he couldn't keep the pictures out of his head. Like some photo album of pain and damnation, the events were there, captured in snapshots that burned before his eyes.

Morgan, lying in the hospital, beaten, violated. His frantic phone calls to keep the story private. The police, doing nothing. And week later, finding her in the bathtub, wrists slit, drowned in an ocean of blood and despair.

The authorities took the body away to the morgue, saying there had to be an autopsy. Just another violation of his beautiful daughter. He never thought to question how the women found him. They just turned up at his door the next night. The dark one, who called herself Vivienne Steele, offered him a deal. Her voice was soft, but deadly serious.

"You've suffered a tragedy, Mr. Vincent," she said. "What I can do for you won't make it right, but it might make it better."

"Nothing could make it better. My daughter is dead, and my wife is dying."

He remembered that the blonde one had lifted her head and taken a deep sniff. She cast a glance at her companion, and nodded. "Cancer," she said. "Advanced."

Ms. Steele shook her head looking a little sad. "I’m sorry, I can't do anything about that."

"Then forgive my asking, but what can you do?"

She smiled, a radiance seeming to light her face. "I can take out the man who hurt your daughter. And trust me; he'll suffer before I’m through."

He could feel his fists clenching at his sides. He'd always been a law-abiding citizen, paid his taxes. Hell, he didn't even speed. But ever since this – this desecration, he'd been thinking about murder. And here was someone offering him the results he wanted without his hands getting dirty.

"Suppose I agree," he said, "you must want something. And you've got to know I'm not a rich man."

She had a laugh like silver bells. Even her blonde companion looked amused. "Oh no, Mr. Vincent, I'll be paying you. What I want is far more intangible than mere money."

He frowned in some consternation. "I don't understand."

"I need your daughter's name, Mr. Vincent. I need her identity."

But that was later. That night, they talked about details, for the next couple of hours. It all sounded plausible and fair, and he hadn’t had time to formulate deeper doubts and questions.. Nevertheless, he hesitated. Told them he had to talk it over with his wife. But all along, he knew that he'd accept. Because he couldn’t bear to think of the man who had destroyed his beautiful daughter walking around, unpunished. It was simply too wrong to contemplate.

Sandra had horrified at the thought. Although she was as devastated as he, she had more forgiveness in her. And perhaps her illness made her more philosophical. She saw, as he did not, that what seemed like a simple bargain had repercussions that would echo down the years. She begged him to let it be, to let the police do their work, but he hadn't listened. The idea that he could know for sure that cold justice had been done was too tempting.

Sealing the deal didn't seem like much. He handed over a few papers, a few photographs. They gave him a piece of paper with two numbers. One was to an offshore account, with enough money, as they’d negotiated, to cover all of Sandra's medical bills, with enough left over to make a good start on a college fund for little Jennifer. The other was a phone number.

"Whenever anyone calls, asking about Morgan, verify that she's your daughter. If they ask for contact information for her, put them off," Ms. Steele said.

"Then call this number immediately," the blonde added. "We'll take it from there." She paused for effect, and smiled. On her, the expression was chilling. "If you fail to follow instructions, Mr. Vincent, bad things could happen." Her smile grew wider. "Very… Bad… Things."

Ms. Steele laughed, but her eyes betrayed no hint of mirth. "I'm sure we have nothing to worry about, do we, Mr. Vincent? Or should I say, Dad?"

It didn’t occur to him until much, much later to wonder about how they knew about Morgan. To wonder if Ms. Steele had been watching her, had spotted her as a person whose identity she could use. As the years went on, he’d watched, seen the photos credited as “Morgan Vincent’s” work. He was no expert, but whatever else the woman was, she was every bit as good a photographer as his Morgan had been. An even more disturbing thought was that if Morgan’s identity had been wanted, how far would Ms. Steele have gone to make sure it was…available? What had been tragic mischance, and what had been planned?

Bob Vincent gave himself a mental shake. This wasn't the first time he'd gotten a call. But each time, he regretted his stupidity. Oh, they'd kept their end. He'd known when he saw the news article about a brutal, horrific murder. When the remains had been identified, he'd been even more sure. In his heart of hearts, he was glad the man was dead. To claim otherwise, even to himself, would be hypocritical. And yet, Sandra had been right. The man’s death had changed nothing. Morgan was gone. And Sandra, his beloved Sandra, had left him. Sick as she was, she left. Even now, he had no idea whether she was still alive, or if her illness had claimed her at last.

He'd never forget the words she'd spoken before she went. "I can't bear to look at you. I can't touch that money, and I can't stay in this house."

Jennifer had been so young at the time, barely nine, and he had kept as much from her as he possibly could. One day, she would have to know the secrets, he supposed, but as he looked at her, sulking on the couch, he thought that the worst thing in her world was a father who was a little bit grumpy from time to time. And for now, he wanted that to stay the same.

The phone rang three times before she answered. "Dad," she said, her soft voice unchanged, "it's so nice to hear from you again. How are things at home?"
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Unfinished Business (Challenge #149) -- PG-13

Post by francis »

What a chilling story! I love this. The tone is just right to imagine a man trapped in his life by choices he made. And "Morgan" makes sure he doesn't forget it.
I feel really sad for his wife, more than for him. He made his bed.
What an ingenious move by Coraline to find this identity. I really wonder if she arranged for the other Morgan to have that "accident".
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

:scary: Deal with the devil indeed! He lost his daughter, he lost his wife...he lives in danger himself and one day his younger daughter will ,too. One more man who was misled into having Coraline in his life and lost everything!
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
AggieVamp
Rogue vampire

Post by AggieVamp »

I never thought about the 'real' Morgan Vincent & how Coraline got her identity... This is definitely a interesting idea on how it might have happened. Great story Lucky!

Karen
Banner by HotMicks

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional - and I Opt NOT to Grow Up!
:petcat: :petcat:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I really like this. I never thought about the "real" Morgan and this is a very plausible way Coraline would have gotten her cover story. :clapping:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I really, really like this story. I'd never seen anyone talk about this particular possibility--that Morgan was a real woman who died, whose identity Coraline assumed, with the cooperation of her family. (Well, at least some of her family.) It's very plausible to me, and what I love most about this is how wonderfully you've crafted a story that suggests some answers to the readers--because we know more about how vampires operate among us humans--but leaves those questions unanswered for the man telling the tale. For example, it's pretty obvious to me that there was a vamp (like Guillermo) working in the morgue, and that's how Coraline and Cynthia found Morgan's dad. But he doesn't know that... and that makes "Vivienne Steele" and her blonde friend even more menacing. Although he doesn't think of it early on, as time passes he begins to wonder whether they might even have orchestrated Morgan's death. :worried: But the cool thing is, they didn't have to do that. It's so much less complicated to take advantage of a grieving father with revenge on his mind. I've got to say, I wonder if his wife lasted two days after she left him, though... talk about your loose ends. :chair: After all, Coraline didn't have any qualms about eliminating people when she felt the need. I just don't see her doing it for no good reason. :chin: (By the way, I love the fact that he knows exactly how dangerous they are, without knowing anything about what really makes them so dangerous.) :brow:

Another interesting thing to ponder. I assume that Coraline abandoned the identity of Morgan after she turned back into a vampire, and that even if she hadn't been taken away by Lance, she probably would have assumed a completely different persona after that. But poor Bob Vincent can't know that. I wonder how many years will go by before he stops looking over his shoulder and being afraid every time the phone rings. Poor guy... he really did make a deal with the devil, and his punishment is to endure a lifetime of fear, uncertainty, and grief. :Mickangel: What a sad scenario... and beautifully told.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

You've answered one of those nagging unanswered questions in an ingenious, chilling way, Lucky. I, too, wonder how the real Morgan met her end, and having her as another pawn in Coraline's plan makes perfect sense. How Coraline was able to assume her identity is one part of the story, but you've taken it a step further - showing how all of this affected Morgan's father as an even greater tragedy.

Regardless od her guilt or innocence in Morgan's death, Coraline picked her victim well; Bob Vincent is a father distraught by his daughter's violent death and was vulnerable. Yet Bob's 'deal with the devil' is haunting him - he'll never have any peace as long as Coraline and Cynthia have him under their thumb.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Lucky

This is exemplary!

Coraline clearly shopped for an identity she could assume: an individual with the right build and skin tone, features not unlike her own and a style she could learn to mimic. I would not be surprised if for a while, she was the real Morgan Vincent's best friend as she studied the mannerisms and thought processes of the woman who's shoes she would step into. Did she study the family, as well? She knew about Morgan's mother's cancer, and the character of her dad.

Very, very plausible. What a fabulous job you have done with this challenge!!!

Dip into that folder again!!!!!!!

Pretty please???????

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Chilling is right! Wow, this was terrific! That poor man lost so much more than his daughter. And when the times comes for him to tell the younger one, he may very well lose her as well.

Great take on the challenge, Lucky! :thanks:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
BlueEyedMonster
Fledgling

Post by BlueEyedMonster »

What an interesting and unique take on the challenge. The story as it has been said is chilling I can almost feel the father's despair at the thought of his broken family.

I too wondered who Morgan Vincent really was and what became of her. Great job.
Last edited by BlueEyedMonster on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

Very plausible!

I aways wondered about the Vincents and why they supported Coraline's claims to be Morgan. My first thought was that Coraline had killed Morgan and the family didn't know it yet. But that they were coerced, cajoled or blackmailed into being a part of the cover up hadn't occurred to me.

Very chilling.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Thanks so much for all the great comments! I do remember, back when "The Ringer" first aired, that there was great debate about the Morgan identity. Some people (the anti-Coraline ones!) said, "But don't you realize? She MURDERED Morgan! She's just evil!" And the pro-Coraline were just as vehement in their belief that "Morgan" was an entirely created identity. They never quite explained how Beth was able to contact Mr. Vincent, however.

I personally think Coraline is a more complicated character--yes, it's true she would be very capable of simply murdering Morgan Vincent and taking her identity. She was raised in a time when life was pretty cheap, and it's evident from flashbacks that killing, per se, didn't bother her that much. Remember the poor girl she brought for Mick to feed on? That was no willing freshie, and with fledgling control being so poor, she probably died under Mick's fangs while Coraline watched and petted him.

On the other hand, manufacturing an identity from scratch would involve a lot of convoluted manuevering, such as arranging for school records, and someone to answer the phone as "Bob Vincent."
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

What a great answer to that nagging question of how and why Beth's call to Morgan's father seemed to confirm her identity as Morgan Vincent. I always wondered who Beth was actually talking to and how Coraline had set that up. This is marvelously and chillingly plausible. I especially like the father's nagging bit of fear that the two women he struck the deal with might just possibly have been his daughter's killers. He's definitely sensing that aura of danger about them...and goodness knows neither of them is inexperienced at killing.....

Interesting too that Bob has gotten quite a few calls besides the one from Beth. And if Beth hadn't found proof that Morgan was Coraline the way she did in the show, I wonder if she wouldn't have tracked down this deal? I can just picture Beth showing up at this man's door....
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

It's amazing, the places your imagination takes you (and us as readers of your fics). I often wondered about the real Morgan and her family. This fits perfectly.

Oh, the things people agree to when their hurt and tired. Bob Vincent thought he'd gain relief and he only kept losing. I can't help but feel sorry for him. Even Jennifer, totally innocent, but after losing her sister she then lost her mother and who knows if she'll eventually lose her father.

'Vivienne', although human at the time, was still a vampire at heart, continuing to suck the life out of people for her own gain.
Lucky wrote:An even more disturbing thought was that if Morgan’s identity had been wanted, how far would Ms. Steele have gone to make sure it was…available? What had been tragic mischance, and what had been planned?
Indeed. That uncertainty might turn out to be harder to live with than the attacker going unpunished.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I really like this story. Coraline is such a fascinating character and very practical.

Return to “Librarian_7's Office”