No Regrets -(PG) Champ. Challenge 129 6/19/11

A place for Darkstarrising's G to PG-13 stories
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: No Regrets -(PG) Champ. Challenge 129 6/19/11

Post by darkstarrising »

PNWgal wrote:This is just all kinds of wonderful, Karen. :hug:
darkstarrising wrote:Alone.

That’s how he’d been for most of his life and would likely remain. Some of his isolation was self-imposed, hoping to distance himself from those he’d only end up hurting or who might hurt him. For all his charm and good looks, Mick St. John had been unlucky at love, more than an ordinary man could ever endure. Yet Mick was anything but an ordinary man and he had the scars to prove it.
:hankie:

That first word just hurts, because that's what Mick is. Alone.

But he doesn't have to be, and that's the beauty of this piece. Beth offered up her blood to save him, but he can't accept what he'd done to save himself. He can't entertain the possibility that she offers him more:
darkstarrising wrote:While her pain would be fleeting, his would be eternal knowing it wasn’t just her blood he craved. Locked in his grip, her head on his shoulder, her softness and warmth, her caring, tortured him. While her blood would sustain his body, his soul would starve for what he could never have – the unconditional love of another.

And then he opens the door (which made my romantic ML heart go :hyper2: ):
darkstarrising wrote:“No. I mean I’m sorry about what I did to you.”

Beth reached up and taking Mick’s hand, gently pulled him down next to her. “You didn’t do anything to me. You’re my friend. You needed me, you needed what I could give. I have no regrets, Mick, and neither should you.”

He didn’t reply, he didn’t need to. His eyes gave him away.
Poor Mick. :Mickangel:

I could quote that whole ending conversation because it's just so beautiful, but I'll just grab my absolute favorite part:
darkstarrising wrote:Ever so carefully, Mick removed the bandage, and raising her arm to his lips, gently kissed her wounds.

“Forgive me.”

“On one condition.” Beth kissed his cheek tenderly, then whispered. “That you never let the connection between us fade.”
:cloud9:

Can I see this? Absolutely. It's lovely and haunting and fits in perfectly with how I believe they both felt at the time.

Wonderful, WONDERFUL job!
O, Jen, you made my own ML heart go :hyper2: when you said you could see this happening. :smooch:

When that last scene begins at the end of 'Fever' Mick is just sitting on the arm of a chair staring off into space and you get the feeling he's thinking about everything that just happened. But what struck me is that he was alone, while Beth was being consoled by Josh, and looking every bit like having Josh around was the last thing she wanted.

That last part you quoted is my favorite as well and I could see this ending. It's way too early in their relationship to be any more than acknowledging that a close friendship is developing, one that each of them desires. The fact that Beth didn't make any response to Mick' not wanting 'to cause any trouble' with Josh is telling as well and was inspired by her discomfort she showed when Josh kissed her wound. In my story, Mick kisses the wound, and she returns the gesture.

Mick opened the physical door. Beth opened another. Now each of them has to figure out how and when to go through it.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I missed this story. It's so wonderful he opened the door. :hyper2: He explained some things and that connection between them can never fade.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

cassysj wrote:I missed this story. It's so wonderful he opened the door. :hyper2: He explained some things and that connection between them can never fade.
Thanks, Carol :hug: I just wish he really had opened the door :sigh:
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Very nice, DSR. I'm so glad you let Mick open the door. The back and forth that went along with that decision was in context with the development of their relationship at that point. It didn't feel forced. You handled this well, allowing the chanting masses their quarter without overdoing it. It was still too early for some sudden swoon, so you allowed acknowledgement and a way forward, without a plunge into the abyss. A subtle story well done.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

nutmegger911 wrote:Very nice, DSR. I'm so glad you let Mick open the door. The back and forth that went along with that decision was in context with the development of their relationship at that point. It didn't feel forced. You handled this well, allowing the chanting masses their quarter without overdoing it. It was still too early for some sudden swoon, so you allowed acknowledgement and a way forward, without a plunge into the abyss. A subtle story well done.
Thanks, NM911 :hug: The hardest part about writing this story was keeping in mind that this was an early point in their relationship. Mick knew a lot about Beth, but she knew little of him. Yet she felt something for him, something that allowed her to kill a man to save Mick's life. Something that kept her from running screaming into the night when she found out what he was. At first, it might have just been a fascination, but now, it's the beginning of an attraction. Key word being beginning.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

The end of Fever is among my very favourite parts of Moonlight and this story is a delightful alternative to the ending. I confess I loved the original ending so I was intrigued about the scenario you'd come up with.

It has all the wonderful, awkward delicacy of the beginning of Moonlight - two people who have shared incredible intimacies, but don't know how to deal with them, or with each other. It's lovely - super ending, especially.

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

redwinter101 wrote:The end of Fever is among my very favourite parts of Moonlight and this story is a delightful alternative to the ending. I confess I loved the original ending so I was intrigued about the scenario you'd come up with.

It has all the wonderful, awkward delicacy of the beginning of Moonlight - two people who have shared incredible intimacies, but don't know how to deal with them, or with each other. It's lovely - super ending, especially.

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Red
Thanks, Red :hug: The original ending was poignant and, for me, heartbreaking. Beth was reaching out to him, but Mick either wasn't quite ready or was afraid to open up to her. In this story, he opens the door, and in so doing, opens himself to her, if only just a little.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

Oh I'm so glad you had Mick open the door, dsr. His hesitation at this point is one of my favourite moments of this series - will he? won't he? -the frustration nearly killed me. I think Beth would have been just as level headed as you've portrayed her to be if Mick had listened when I shouted out for him to stop being such a fool and open that darn door...
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Luxe de Luxe wrote:Oh I'm so glad you had Mick open the door, dsr. His hesitation at this point is one of my favourite moments of this series - will he? won't he? -the frustration nearly killed me. I think Beth would have been just as level headed as you've portrayed her to be if Mick had listened when I shouted out for him to stop being such a fool and open that darn door...

Thanks, Luxe :hug: I remember being floored when Beth drank from Mick earlier in Fever and the powerful emotions each character displayed - very raw, very primal, yet very sensual. At the end of the episode, I, too, was hoping he would open the door and was crushed for each of them when he didn't. Fever was one of the best ML episodes for taking the viewer from one end of the emotional spectrum to the other, followed closely by Love Lasts Forever.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Just reread this lovely little piece. It so perfectly captures the angst of their early relationship as Beth's attraction for Josh wanes as her fascinating with Mick grows ever stronger.

Mick, on the other hand, remains Mick--drawing his self-imposed isolation around him like a blanket on a cold day but it offers him no comfort. Fortunately, Beth is caught up in the ever growing attraction and isn't going anywhere.

And the dance continues...

Thanks!
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

jen wrote:Just reread this lovely little piece. It so perfectly captures the angst of their early relationship as Beth's attraction for Josh wanes as her fascinating with Mick grows ever stronger.

Mick, on the other hand, remains Mick--drawing his self-imposed isolation around him like a blanket on a cold day but it offers him no comfort. Fortunately, Beth is caught up in the ever growing attraction and isn't going anywhere.

And the dance continues...

Thanks!
Thanks for the re-read jen :hug: At this point in their relationship, it really is a dance to which each is drawn.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

OH, this is such an amazing story! I love rereading it, though I always get teary eyes at the end...THIS is how Fever should have ended...Not too close, but not too far from each other! I love it!

:heart: :heart:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Perfect

:hearts: :flowers: :melts: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

maggatha3 wrote:OH, this is such an amazing story! I love rereading it, though I always get teary eyes at the end...THIS is how Fever should have ended...Not too close, but not too far from each other! I love it!

:heart: :heart:
Thanks, Tula :hug: I agree, I would like to have seen Fever end this way....with each of them realizing the connection and wondering what to do about it.
jen wrote:Perfect

:hearts: :flowers: :melts: :hearts: :flowers:
Thanks, Jenna :hug:
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Such a sweet story had to give it a bump

Return to “Darkstarrising's Office”