Resolution- Champagne Challenge 154 (PG) 01/09/14

A place for Darkstarrising's G to PG-13 stories
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Resolution- Champagne Challenge 154 (PG) 01/09/14

Post by darkstarrising »

Here is my offering to challenge 154, 'New Year, New Life'. In the series, we heard a little about when Mick met Josef. Here, I've expanded on the conversation between the two very different vampires. As always, I don't own the characters, but I love playing with them.

Enjoy!!

Resolution

“So…how’s Coraline’s latest conquest?”

“What’d you say, jerk?”

“Relax, Mick. I just wanted to get your attention. You seemed a bit pre-occupied when Coraline introduced us earlier. I’m Kostan, Josef Kostan.”

“Is that like ‘Bond, James Bond’?”

“Cute. Not only does brooding boy read, he has a sense of humor. Still, I didn’t take you for the spy novel type.

“Takes my mind off things.”

“Indeed, the adventures of Mr. Fleming’s multi-talented spy allow one to escape the mundane world. Pity I can’t be photographed, though. If they ever film his novels, I’d be perfect as Bond.”

“Humble, aren’t you?”

“Why should I be? Bond and I have much in common, including our allure to the fairer sex. Four centuries of experience gives me something of an edge, though.”

“You’ve been alive four hundred years?”

“Alive? Only for about 25 years. The rest of the time…”

“You’ve been a vampire.”

“You make that sound sooo disgusting.”

“Isn’t it? Hiding, living in fear, killing to stay …”

“Alive? Living is overrated, my friend….”

“I’m not your friend.”

“Maybe not yet. Coraline said you were having trouble adjusting to your new life. Out of curiosity, I thought I’d see why. She’s annoyed with you, though, skulking away from her party.”

“You call this life? Don’t you get it? You, me, Coraline, we’re all dead. Dead men should be buried, not feeding off the living.”

“That’s a rather fatalistic view, don’t you think?”

“It’s the truth. What we are is …unnatural.”

“You see unnatural, I see evolved. You know, like man from apes.”

“See what you want. I don’t know you and if you enjoy being a monster, I don’t want to.”

“Trust me, you do. As for why I care, it’s in my own interest to. Vamps who can’t accept their new life are dangerous. They cling to their human past and end up doing something stupid that jeopardizes the rest of us. So, to preserve my own precious hide, I’ll spare a few moments to try and change your perspective.”

“Save your breath.”

“Stubborn bastard, aren’t you? Listen to me or not, it’s your choice. Vampires don’t have the corner on monstrosity, you know. You were a soldier during the war, right? You’ve probably seen, maybe even did things that turned your gut.”

“I was a medic. I saved lives...”

“That’s my point. Even in war, when it’s so easy to do monstrous things, people can choose not to. You did. You still can.”

“What about feeding off humans? There’s not much choice about that.”

“But there is. Even though you can, you don’t have to kill them or even forcibly take their blood. There are always alternatives, Mick. You just have to find them. Life, even our undead one, is what you make of it.”

“Maybe.”

“Trust me, it is. How’s this for a New Year’s resolution? Let go of the past. Embrace what you are. Enjoy immortality’s endless possibilities. Otherwise, you’re looking at an eternity of being miserable.”
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Resolution- Champagne Challenge 154 (PG) 01/09/14

Post by cassysj »

Ohhh, I really like this. Josef is perfect and properly annoyed with the baby. Mick despite himself will realize the truth in what was said.
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

500 words wasn't enough. Now I want more. :2eyes:

Great job, dsr! Very believable. It's nice to know that they did end up being such good friends. It's always good to have Josef in your corner.
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

What a great answer to the Challenge, DSR! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
darkstarrising wrote:“What’d you say, jerk?”
:gasp: Mick, how rude! :snicker:

What a believable beginning for them--I can really hear them here! Mick is sulky and angry; Josef is suave, smart, and a little concerned that this new toy of Coraline's will prove dangerous to the community. But you can tell that he sees something in this bratty not-cut-out-to-be-a-vamp new turn... something maybe worth putting some effort in on. :chin: And thank goodness he did! :phew:
darkstarrising wrote:How’s this for a New Year’s resolution? Let go of the past. Embrace what you are. Enjoy immortality’s endless possibilities. Otherwise, you’re looking at an eternity of being miserable.
I'm not sure Mick ever did take this excellent advice completely. :Mickangel: But he made a real effort, and Josef was a big part of that. And so the friendship begins! :friends: :teeth:
BlueEyedMonster
Fledgling

Post by BlueEyedMonster »

Such an excellent story and so very true to character.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Thanks, ladies :ghug:

Mick is wallowing in self-pity and Josef has seen more than a few reluctant vamps in the past and knows what danger they pose. If Mick hadn't shown some spunk in this, he might not have lived very long. As it was, Josef saw something in 'brooding boy' that was worth a little of his time.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

The first meeting.

Epic...and yet not epic at all.

Mick being Mick and Josef dispensing wisdom gained and proven over centuries. This was both the beginning of a beautiful friendship and the salvation of an unwilling vamp.

Fabulous!!!

Thank you

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Thanks, Jenna :hug: At the time, Josef wasn't sure Mick could be trusted, but he saw something in the unwilling vampire that was worthwhile salvaging.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I love this story. Perfectly perfect Josef.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

cassysj wrote:I love this story. Perfectly perfect Josef.
Thanks, Carol. :hug: It would have been fun to have seen the actual meeting between the two men. Josef, trying to find out if this brooding vamp will cut it or not and Mick not understanding the wisdom of Josef's words, at least not yet, anyway.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

Return to “Darkstarrising's Office”