Murder in Manhattan - Challenge 150 (PG) 9/20/13

A place for Darkstarrising's G to PG-13 stories
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Murder in Manhattan - Challenge 150 (PG) 9/20/13

Post by darkstarrising »

Hi all :howdy:

'Murder in Manhattan' is my answer to challenge 150 - Murder on the Sixth Floor. It's another look at what might have happened had Josef met John Whitley before he died.

Please enjoy and as always, I don't own the characters, but dearly love playing with them.

Murder in Manhattan

As pretentious as the obituary was, those who would have appreciated it had long since turned to dust.

All except one.

Bet the old reprobate wrote it himself. Reading this, you’d think John Whitley was God’s gift to Manhattan if not mankind.

Josef tossed the paper aside, turning his attention to the silent red haired beauty on the bed.

I hate to admit it, but the old boy and I have a lot in common. Power and wealth drove us. Whatever we wanted, we got, except for the one thing we both cherished most – you. If only your father hadn’t threatened to come between us, maybe I wouldn’t have rushed your turning and you’d still be here. If only he could have let you go….I know I couldn't.

Alone with his lost fledgling, Josef recalled his final encounter with John Whitley a few nights earlier. Since Mick and Beth’s recent breach of Whitley’s apartment, security had been tightened, forcing Josef to enter surreptitiously through the sixth floor bedroom window. Whitley was alone and asleep, but woke sensing someone’s presence. Even on his deathbed, the old man’s eyes burned with hatred.

‘How is it you still survive, monster?! Have you come to murder me as you did my precious child?’

To Josef’s surprise, Whitley seemed unafraid, then perplexed when the vampire didn’t strike.

Monster? OK, but a case of pot and kettle, you know? Did I intend to kill him? Yes, but he was almost dead anyway. Besides, why give him the satisfaction of knowing he was right….about everything.

While the old man struggled to sit upright, Josef had stood silently at the foot of the bed. He hadn’t seen Whitley in five decades, and the person before him didn’t resemble the robust, savvy businessman he remembered. He’d been such an imposing figure back then, acquiring and developing what would become choice Manhattan real estate. Back in the day, everyone knew that whatever John Whitley wanted, he got, no matter the cost or consequence. Now, shriveled by age and disease, the old man seemed inconsequential, dwarfed by the massive bed on which he lay.

The last time they’d spoken, the man known as Charles Fitzgerald had come to collect Sarah for the premiere of Broadway’s revival of ‘South Pacific’. They had been seeing each other for months now, to John Whitley’s clear displeasure and growing concern. While many thought he’d be disappointed at not having a son, Whitley adored and doted on the precocious red-haired girl. Of all his possessions, Sarah was the one he most treasured.

As she grew, so did Sarah’s curiosity about life beyond her father’s carefully established boundaries. There was a world outside Manhattan Sarah wanted to experience and not just through Broadway plays. Whitley was protective of his only child, wishing to shield her from the world’s dangers, something Sarah began to chafe at. Many an argument ensued between the equally headstrong father and daughter, but the elder Whitley always prevailed until Charles Fitzgerald entered their lives.

On the surface, Fitzgerald seemed harmless enough, charming even. From the moment Sarah introduced Charles to her father, Whitley disliked him, sensing there was something off about the young man. It was difficult to pinpoint, but Fitzgerald seemed wise beyond his years, always having a smooth answer to any question put to him. Then there were his eyes; Whitley believed a man’s eyes reflected his character and what he saw in Fitzgerald’s worried him. In short, he didn’t trust the man and hoped Sarah’s infatuation with him would end before it progressed too far. When it hadn’t, Whitley had Fitzgerald investigated. What he’d found, or more precisely, what he hadn’t, made him even more suspicious of the man and his motives for dating woman as wealthy and naïve as his Sarah.

When he confronted Sarah about his misgivings, Whitley found out just how headstrong his daughter was. She dismissed her father’s concerns, saying that he didn’t know Charles the way she did, something that did little to assuage his fears. Since his daughter was of age, there was nothing Whitley could do to prevent her from seeing Fitzgerald, short of locking her in her room. It was then he decided on a different approach.

While Sarah gathered her things, Whitley had taken Fitzgerald aside, suggesting that perhaps it was time for him to let Sarah down gently so that they could both move on to more suitable partners. Even though she was 21, his daughter was quite innocent in the ways of the world, ways he was sure Fitzgerald was well acquainted with. In the most thinly veiled of terms, Whitley stated that anyone who used or hurt his daughter would suffer greatly for it. Eyes flashing, Fitzgerald glared back at him in silent refusal. It was then Whitley knew he had underestimated this mysterious young man and that his threats had had only made Fitzgerald more determined than ever to have Sarah for his own.

At least Whitley recognized a dangerous man when he saw one. How can I damn him for trying to protect Sarah from me, something I failed to do myself?

As he and Sarah watched the play, Charles noted the similarities between their relationship and those of the main characters. On stage, lovers were kept apart by the racial and social prejudices of the times. At the play’s end, while one couple succeeded in overcoming those obstacles, another failed, death coming between the star-crossed lovers, just as it stood between Charles and Sarah. If Charles wanted Sarah by his side, he would have to turn her, something she’d been begging him to do for months. With John Whitley determined to end their romance, Charles knew he would have to act soon.

On their way home, Sarah hummed tunes from the play, ‘Some Enchanted Evening’ being her favorite. The couple paused for a few moments at the Angels of the Water fountain in Central Park, holding each other close and stealing kisses under the moonlit sky. To Sarah’s delight, Charles confessed his change of heart about turning her, but only after she fully understood the consequences of becoming a vampire.

‘You must understand that what you’re asking me to do can never be undone. Immortality comes with a high price; you’ll never see your parents again and every few decades, you’ll have to leave everyone you love behind and become someone new. It can be a hard and dangerous life, Sarah, but one eased if you share it with someone you care for. Are you sure you love me enough to do this?’

Eyes shining with joy, Sarah professed her love for Charles, acknowledging her understanding and willingness to be turned.

‘I love you, Charles, and always will. Tomorrow night, we will have our own enchanted evening as you make me your own. For now, let’s make a wish for an eternity of happiness together.’

Sarah drew a coin from her purse and tossed it into the fountain, then kissed Charles deeply. Agreeing to meet the next night at a house he had purchased under an alias, Charles returned Sarah to her parents for one last day together.

The next night, her wish for an eternity of happiness together was destroyed when Sarah’s turning failed. As feared, Whitley spared no expense looking for his daughter, who he believed had run off with Fitzgerald. The investigators he hired followed carefully planted leads taking them far away from Waverly Place. After a few years with no sign of the errant lovers, Whitley finally accepted that in the battle to win Sarah’s heart, Fitzgerald had won.

When Whitley found and read his daughter’s diary five decades later, he understood that death would have been preferable to what Fitzgerald planned for her. It took two years and a small fortune, but John Whitley finally found his daughter’s lover, who now stood silently before him.

‘What are you waiting for, monster? Kill me now and be done with it.’

That’s when Josef realized that vengeance wasn’t all Whitley sought; more than anything he wanted to be reunited with the daughter he had lost so many years ago.

Sensing death was imminent, Josef drew nearer to the old man. Whitley stared past him, his eyes tearing as he raised his arms as if to embrace someone unseen.

‘Sarah!’

With his last breath, John Whitley cried his beloved child’s name. After a few moments, Josef closed the old man’s eyes, unable to bear the joy in them. As he left, Josef wondered if Whitley had achieved what they both yearned for - a reunion with their beloved Sarah.

I knew Whitley was right, that I would only end up hurting Sarah. Like him, I just couldn’t let her go. She loved me, despite what I was, and God help me, I loved her. No, not loved. I still love her and always will.

Before returning to Waverly Place, Josef made his way to the Angels of the Water fountain where he and Sarah had made their plans for an eternity together. In his mind, he could still hear her humming ‘Some Enchanted Evening’ as they walked hand in hand through the park. He’d come to the fountain every year on the anniversary of that night, tossing a coin into the fountain hoping that one day Sarah’s wish for them would come true.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: Murder in Manhattan - Challenge 150 (PG) 9/20/13

Post by allegrita »

It's such a tragic story, isn't it? In lots of ways, Josef and Sarah are the true star-crossed lovers of Moonlight. Sarah was so vital, and had so much to live for. And she was lost, not just to her father, but to Josef as well. :hankie:

I like the image of John Whitley seeing Sarah as he died, and of the joy in his eyes as the light left them. Or maybe her mother's name was Sarah too, and he saw her waiting for him. In any case, his torment was at an end at that moment. Josef will have no such luck. His burden is eternal--or at least as long as Sarah remains in that immortal twilight state, neither living nor dead. Nor undead. I truly pity him. :Mickangel:

I had to go look up the Angel of the Waters fountain after reading your story. It's so beautiful, and such a romantic place for lovers to visit and make a wish for the future. I hope that one day, Sarah's wish comes true. :hearts:
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Really liked this, dsr. I hadn't thought before how John Whitley and Josef/Charles were alike, but you're right.

It made me sad for Josef, though. Bad enough for him that he watches over Sarah in her eternal sleep. But to know that her father has been reunited with her in a way he can never be just makes it sadder. :Mickangel:

Very good! Thanks for sharing!

:thanks:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Such a tragic love Story. I feel for Josef. He must be jealous of Whitley for being with Sarah now, while Josef is still alone.
Thank you for this Story, it is very moving and I love it. :hearts:
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

This is a story that needed telling...and you did it passionately as Josef does everything. Thank-you for the pain and the beauty. :highfive:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

It is a tragic story. I like that you showed how Whitley and Fitzgerald had a a lot of similarities. Sarah was used to powerful men. She probably saw in her Charles what her mother saw in John when they were young.

Great story, I'm glad you told it.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

"Some Enchanted Evening"

There are lots of different types of enchantments. Sarah was enchanted with her Charles and was prepared to follow him into her future, only it wasn't the one she planned (sadly). It was an enchantment of the sleeping beauty in fairy tale.

So heartbreaking for all concerned. Fairy tales should have happy endings...isn't there some kind of a rule?

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

allegrita wrote:It's such a tragic story, isn't it? In lots of ways, Josef and Sarah are the true star-crossed lovers of Moonlight. Sarah was so vital, and had so much to live for. And she was lost, not just to her father, but to Josef as well. :hankie:

I like the image of John Whitley seeing Sarah as he died, and of the joy in his eyes as the light left them. Or maybe her mother's name was Sarah too, and he saw her waiting for him. In any case, his torment was at an end at that moment. Josef will have no such luck. His burden is eternal--or at least as long as Sarah remains in that immortal twilight state, neither living nor dead. Nor undead. I truly pity him. :Mickangel:

I had to go look up the Angel of the Waters fountain after reading your story. It's so beautiful, and such a romantic place for lovers to visit and make a wish for the future. I hope that one day, Sarah's wish comes true. :hearts:
Thanks, alle :hug: I really, really wish there had been a final scene between John Whitley and Josef in the series, but without one, we can all imagine what might have occurred. In another story, I had Josef show up in Whitley's bedroom after Mick and Beth left, and literally scared the man to death. In this story, Josef never says a word to Whitley, but after his death, thinks back on their exchanges and just how much they had in common. Both loved Sarah, yet both of them lost her. Whitley may be re-united with his daughter's spirit, while Josef can only hope that she will one day return to him.

Glad you liked the Angel of Fountain reference. It seemed a wonderful place for people to make wishes.
MickLifeCrisis wrote:Really liked this, dsr. I hadn't thought before how John Whitley and Josef/Charles were alike, but you're right.

It made me sad for Josef, though. Bad enough for him that he watches over Sarah in her eternal sleep. But to know that her father has been reunited with her in a way he can never be just makes it sadder. :Mickangel:

Very good! Thanks for sharing!

:thanks:
Thanks, MLC :hug: and you're welcome! I hadn't really thought about the similarities between the two men before I started writing this, but they do share a lot of traits. Both men are driven to succeed and not let anything get in their way. And then there's Sarah, loved by a father who wants to protect her from a dangerous world and a lover who feared drawing her into his. Both men failed and their loss affected them for years to come.
francis wrote:Such a tragic love Story. I feel for Josef. He must be jealous of Whitley for being with Sarah now, while Josef is still alone.
Thank you for this Story, it is very moving and I love it. :hearts:
Thanks, francis :hug: and you're very welcome. Yes, Josef is jealous of Whitley, believing he's been re-united with Sarah. But while this story is sad, I believe there is hope that Sarah will one day awaken and be with Josef forever.
Lucy wrote:This is a story that needed telling...and you did it passionately as Josef does everything. Thank-you for the pain and the beauty. :highfive:
Thanks, Lucy :hug: There are so many ways that Sleeping Beauty could have ended with an encounter between Josef and John Whitley. This one deals with the pain of separation each man felt losing Sarah. While Josef muses about the similarities he shares with Whitely, he also has the memories of his year long romance with Sarah.
cassysj wrote:It is a tragic story. I like that you showed how Whitley and Fitzgerald had a a lot of similarities. Sarah was used to powerful men. She probably saw in her Charles what her mother saw in John when they were young.

Great story, I'm glad you told it.
Thanks, Carol :hug: You bring up an interesting point about Sarah and her mother being attracted to the same kind of man - one who is powerful and charming. No wonder she was drawn to Charles.
jen wrote:"Some Enchanted Evening"

There are lots of different types of enchantments. Sarah was enchanted with her Charles and was prepared to follow him into her future, only it wasn't the one she planned (sadly). It was an enchantment of the sleeping beauty in fairy tale.

So heartbreaking for all concerned. Fairy tales should have happy endings...isn't there some kind of a rule?

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts:
Thanks, Jenna :hug: You bring up yet another interesting point about enchantment. I hadn't considered the enchantment aspect of the fairy tale Sleeping Beauty, but you're right. In this case, Sarah's prince didn't waken her from a spell, rather, the 'spell' cast by Charles through turning put her into a deep sleep.

As for happy endings, I believe Sarah one day wakens and spends the rest of her life with Josef. After all, everybody is entitled to a bit of happiness in their lives, aren't they?
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I am fascinated by the Whitleys wanted to give this a bump
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I hadn't read this one. Thanks for bumping it, cassy! The relationship between Josef and Sarah always fascinates me.

As always, dsr, great writing!
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Thanks, Carol and Lucky! :ghug: I only wish we could have seen a final meeting between Josef and John Whitley in the series.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

Return to “Darkstarrising's Office”