After the Dance - PG 5/17/13

A place for Darkstarrising's G to PG-13 stories
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

After the Dance - PG 5/17/13

Post by darkstarrising »

Alle posted earlier today about the fifth anniversary of 'Sonata'. I confess, I'm still saddened when I hear the music from that episode, knowing what could or even should have been.

Still, had Moonlight never aired, our lives would be different and likely diminished. Had Moonlight never aired, we would never have come together as a community, sharing our respective talents as well as the joys and sorrows of real life.

So Alle, this is for you for preserving a little bit of Moonlight :rose: For all those who shed a tear during 'Sonata', please enjoy.

After the Dance

Dawn.

The time when the children of the night close their eyes, fearful that day’s light will expose the truth of what they are.

Alone.

Not me, not today.

As daylight drifts softly over Beth’s sleeping face, I can't remember seeing anyone more beautiful. I couldn’t leave her now if I wanted to, and trust me, I don’t.

She called me her guardian angel, and maybe I was. But somewhere along the line, she became mine.

For years, I was alone, living in the shadows, torn between what I was and what I wanted to be. When I met Beth, she touched something in me I thought long dead. She helped me feel love again. She found my heart then offered her own.

I didn’t take it. I couldn’t, fearing where it might lead us someday.

Still, Beth didn’t give up on me, not until last night. She’d tired of the dance, the one where she’d take a step forward and I’d take one back.

‘I don’t think I can do this anymore.’

With those words, she crushed the heart I’d denied her and changed the dance. It was Beth stepping back now. Hurt and angry, so did I.

When her door closed softly behind me, my tears fell with hers. I wonder if she knew.

In that moment, I realized that more than anything, fear was the only real barrier separating us. In that moment, everything Beth tried to tell me, everything she tried to help me understand finally became clear.

She had gone as far as she could. It was my turn to step forward. It was up to me to open the door and dispel fear. It was time to come out of the shadows of despair and into the light of love.

And so I did, hoping it wasn’t too late. If she told me to leave, I knew I’d have to.

If she told me to leave, my life would be over. For what is life without love?

Lonely, something I’d already been for too long.

‘Because I love you.’

I’d taken my step, but now it was up to Beth.

It seemed an eternity passed before she fell into my arms, but when she did, the dance was over.

The fear separating us was banished by a love that now binds us together. What the future holds is anyone’s guess, but with love, anything is possible.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Re: After the Dance - PG 5/17/13

Post by Lilly »

Oh, dsr. :hankie: :heart: :hankie: :heart: :hankie: :heart: :hankie: :heart:

Thank you. :hearts:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Perfection.
:heart:
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

That was absolutely beautiful. :rose: Thank you for sharing the love. :hug:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Post by Moonlightsonata »

DSR - Thank you for writing this. It is lovely and helps to keep the magic of Moonlight alive. Sonata aired on 5/16/2008 - in weeks this is the 5 year anniversary and I am still missing it, but thankful for this community and for you.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Absolutely lovely :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

The romance of Moonlight was so lovely and you have captured it beautifully here-- and how fabulous to give it to us today, the five year anniversary of the airing of Sonata.

The differences separating Mick and Beth were enormous, the gulfs between them monumental, but with love all things are possible!

Thank you!!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Lovely.

Moonlight lives.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

DSR, that is the nicest gift anyone could give a Moonlight fan--A Mick voiceover, the morning after. :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: And it sounds so much like him--a little wry, a little self-deprecating, and totally letting us in on the demons that tormented him... and the decision he made that conquered the demons. :hearts: :heart: :hug:

This is absolutely beautiful. The perfect "Moonlight Friday" treat. I'm so grateful to you for sharing it with all of us... and for dedicating it to me. I will treasure it always. :rose: And I love Mick's final sentence, because he's echoing what we fans have proven for quite a while now:
What the future holds is anyone’s guess, but with love, anything is possible.
Thank you for proving Mick right. :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

You captured Mick's thoughts perfectly. Thank you for bringing back those last moments of the show. :flowers: :hearts:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Thanks, ladies, and I'm glad you enjoyed it :ghug:

Alle's comment about the fifth anniversary made me realize that although the series ended, the story really hasn't. Each of us has some idea about what might have happened after the door closed and many writers have brought those ideas to life in their works. As Lucky said, Moonlight lives.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

This is lovely, DSR! :cloud9: :hearts:

I really like how you ended the story. Mick and Beth's future is open, but we know that their love will carry them through. :flowers:

:thanks:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

So, so lovely! It is amazing how this piece eases the pain that still lingers in the end of Sonata. That music always still makes me sad, too. But this sounds just like the voice over that Mick would use to open the next episode. :heart:

I think I loved best Mick's realization that it was only fear that was keeping him apart from Beth.....and that he had finally moved past that fear. Loved the description of their relationship up to now as a dance, too.

So beautiful, thank you!
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

:highfive: you wrote from his soul. words to be treasured and a direction to be cherished.....We all cherished them and continue to (thanks to lovingly written FF)

:thanks:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Thanks so much, Shadow and Lucy :ghug: ....if this helped dispel the sadness of 'Sonata', then it achieved its goal.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Right now, I've got my fingers in my mouth, doing that whistle thing. [no, I'm not really - I don't know how but if I did, that's what I'd be doing. :winky: ]

:yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo:

Lovely, DSR. If nothing else at least, in Sonata, we got to see Mick's walls come down enough to give him a Beth a real chance. I'd never thought of their relationship that way before - a dance. But that's a perfect analogy. So true. For every step Beth dragged Mick forward he retreated. How exhausting must that be? Now Mick's finally going to lead. LOL. I bet he's a GREAT dancer.

Return to “Darkstarrising's Office”