No nookie (kidding... don't panic, but please read)!

Come in, relax, and read.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

No nookie (kidding... don't panic, but please read)!

Post by redwinter101 »

This site is set up so that offices and ratings are clear. We are confident that all the writers here will post appropriate warnings/info about their stories so that any reader starting a story will know what to expect.

So, there is absolutely no need to post "nookie alerts".

I, for one, will be relieved not to see them on the board.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: No nookie (kidding... don't panic, but please read)!

Post by francis »

You are so right. It gets on my nerves. Some writers flaunt their warnings like advertising. If a story is NC-17, I know what could happen, and I want to be surprised eventually. It's enough to write it into the story, not in the title.
bank1115
Fledgling

Post by bank1115 »

Well thank goodness. I always think it's so tacky when I see that warning. Of course the sex education in my house growing up consisted of "keep your pants up and your dress down and you'll be all right" and "a good girl goes out on a date, goes home and then goes to bed. A nice girl goes out on a date, goes to bed and then goes home." I was raised by my Great Aunt and she was born in 1883 and was in her 80's when she got me. LOL kays
Beautiful banner by Phoenix
Kelly
Rogue vampire
Location: Lost in a daydream...I think Alex is in here somewhere too.

Post by Kelly »

Great idea! If it's NC-17, we all know why ;)
Thanks SirenSong for the gorgeous MickCora tag

"Life is measured not by the number of breaths you take,
but rather by the number of moments that take your breath away.
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Oh thank the Lord I'm not the only one that was completely irritated by those "Nookie Alert"'s! Figure if it's in the NC-17 section, 9 times out of 10, it's going to include sex. Anything like that can be covered in the A/N.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
lunalux
Fledgling

Post by lunalux »

francis wrote:You are so right. It gets on my nerves. Some writers flaunt their warnings like advertising. If a story is NC-17, I know what could happen, and I want to be surprised eventually. It's enough to write it into the story, not in the title.
ITA...and IMO it is advertising. I always picture someone's finger skimming the page as they speed read to "the good parts," and then stopping and sitting back as they read leisurely, then back to speed reading :lol: If it's NC17, it's got sex in it or some contortionist facsimile thereof :lol:
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Red~don't ever scare me like that again. My eyes saw "No Nookie", and the palms started sweating, heart beat accelerated, vision became blurry; okay, you get my point.

For God's sake, if it's in NC-17, there damn well better be nookie in it, and lots of it.
Catmoon
Rogue vampire

Post by Catmoon »

I always assumed a lot of writers used the "nookie" alerts to signify that the piece was actually a PWP (no plot at all, just sex). Those seemed to get the most comments and views. :? I actually liked it for a warning -- when I saw that I immediately... didn't even open the story! :lol: No offense to those who like to read PWP's, I just prefer a plot in my reading. Most of my stories are NC-17 as well, but sex is just a small part of what goes on. Recent discussions about ratings have also led to the discovery that some people think NC17 automatically means PWP. Just an FYI, it doesn't.
Click here for link to my HB series story index

"I do whatever the Josef-muse tells me to do."
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Catmoon wrote:I always assumed a lot of writers used the "nookie" alerts to signify that the piece was actually a PWP (no plot at all, just sex). Those seemed to get the most comments and views. :? I actually liked it for a warning -- when I saw that I immediately... didn't even open the story! :lol: No offense to those who like to read PWP's, I just prefer a plot in my reading. Most of my stories are NC-17 as well, but sex is just a small part of what goes on. Recent discussions about ratings have also led to the discovery that some people think NC17 automatically means PWP. Just an FYI, it doesn't.
Cat, sorry that these won't be here to help your decisions...

But I do agree with you completely that NC-17 doesn't necessarily mean PWP.

Red

coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Yep, if I'm reading NC17 I know what to expect so it will be nice not to see that everywhere :)
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Catmoon wrote:I always assumed a lot of writers used the "nookie" alerts to signify that the piece was actually a PWP (no plot at all, just sex). Those seemed to get the most comments and views. :? I actually liked it for a warning -- when I saw that I immediately... didn't even open the story! :lol: No offense to those who like to read PWP's, I just prefer a plot in my reading. Most of my stories are NC-17 as well, but sex is just a small part of what goes on. Recent discussions about ratings have also led to the discovery that some people think NC17 automatically means PWP. Just an FYI, it doesn't.
This sparked a thought...if people wish, they CAN put PWP in the title header, and let folks know, without using the forbidden "nookie." So if you love PWP, you can go for it, and if you don't, you won't be annoyed by finding it.

Up to the author, of course.

Lucky
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

I would personally really appreciate adding that distinction. I don't mind some heavy NC17 nookie if it is needed to advance the plot of a good story, but I'm not much of one for PWP. So an appropriate warning would help a lot.
banner by Cprav
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Wellllllll, yeah, usually the NC17 rating implies some graphic playing around, but actually I have seen at least a couple fics where the NC17 rating was applied by the author due to some very dark-dark or violence...

I will read ANYTHING. Trust me. Anything. And I agree I don't need to know in advance there is "nookie" in an NC17 piece, since that is a default assumption...

But to be honest, I would appreciate a warning-- somewhere, anywhere-- before I begin reading the fic, if there is gonna be serious violence. I'll still read it, no doubt at all, may very well absolutely LOVE it (unless you kill Mick), but I do like to know what I'm getting into if it's gonna be real disturbing.

And I'm one of those Eastern, chardonnay-sipping, granola-eating, Obama-voting liberals who happens to find violence more disturbing than graphic sex...And yeah I know I'm reading vamp fiction and so there's gonna be some violence, no problem, but I'm talking NC17 worthy violence, cause I WILL otherwise think the rating IS regarding the sex...

So, if possible, a bit of warning for that?
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

I can't even stand the word "nookie". So I'm happy as all heck. Why else would a story be NC17? Well maybe language but still, I think it's pretty much a given that there is going to be some, how did Beth put it, bodily fluids being exchanged.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I'm with Lucky - by all means put PWP in the title if necessary.

However, to address some concerns, I'm confident that ALL writers will put a warning at the beginning of their fic so that you know why it is rated at that level, e.g. because of explicit sex, language, violence, etc..

If anyone has ANY concerns or stumbles across a fic they didn't feel had enough warning at the top, please let one of the mods know.

Red

Return to “The Library”