Life is Short – Three Drabbles (Champagne Challenge #126, G)

A place for Allegrita's G to PG-13 stories
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Life is Short – Three Drabbles (Champagne Challenge #126, G)

Post by allegrita »

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's note: These three drabbles were written for the "Keep It Short" Champagne Challenge, #126. All three are rated G.

Life is Short – Three Drabbles

A week goes by fast, especially when you’ve lived as long as I have. And he started that week by getting beaten within an inch of his brand-new life. Not to mention that, for all he knew, he’d lost both of the women he cared about. But he didn’t let any of that get him down. He only had a week of mortality, but man, he sure got a lifetime’s worth out of it. Oh yeah, and a tan, too. But I’m telling you, it nearly killed me when he called me brother and begged me to turn him back.

It wasn’t natural, him willingly giving up his powers like that. But let’s face it, Mick’s not your typical vamp, any way you slice it. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good customer and a good guy. And I was happy to give him a hand, even though he didn’t appreciate my surgical skills. Am I sorry he’s back among the undead? Come on, he’s my best customer for A-positive. And anyway, it just didn’t feel right when he was human. He should know by now that vamps gotta be vamps. It’s time for him to embrace what he is.

I wish we could have had that picnic on the rooftop together. He was looking forward to it so much, and so was I. I don’t look back and say “what if” very much, but I wonder how the night would have ended if there had been two humans up on that rooftop, eating dinner together and watching the city lights. I have a feeling the kisses would have been a lot sweeter. And – well, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have walked down those stairs by myself. And maybe we would have gone out for Krispy Kremes in the morning.
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Re: Life is Short – Three Drabbles (Champagne Challenge #126

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

Alle, these are absolutely masterful. the amount of meaning you convey in those few short pieces is incredible. I loved the mystery of working out who was talking, and I loved that you worked a theme here, Mick's brief foray back to humanity. The show robbed us of a proper examination of this too short period in MIck's life.

Your Guillermo piece really rocked. I loved the sly little reference to his identity
Alle wrote:Mick’s not your typical vamp, any way you slice it.
That's just too clever by half. :yes:
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Nice!

3 POV's, all focussed on Mick, all who love him, even tho he's currently loving being human. THAT was the show, wasn't it? Perfect.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Absolutely lovely, Alle :heart: Mick's second time at mortality was brief, indeed, and each of the three whose thoughts you share both mourn and rejoice his loss of it. Three different POV, and each true to the character and 'voice'.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Totally awesome. It's like you move a camera round Mick at that pivotal time in his life and show all the aspects from different POV. All three have some kind of regret or pain over seeing Mick go through this, because they care for him, but Beth seems to have the most remorse over losing out on his humanity too soon. It mirrors his thoughts the most.
Thank you!!!
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

What a wonderful spotlight on Mick's week. I do wish they could have shared that picnic together and had breakfast together. :hearts:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Oh, Alle -- what a lovely surprise! :hearts: Each of these, it just letter perfect, and the phrasing alone leaves no doubt who's talking.

But, together -- wow -- together they are powerful and tender and all about being close enough to someone that you, without question, know what's in their heart. Each of these people knows different pieces of Mick -- they see different truths to his experience -- yet together they let us see the whole.

Beautifully done. :notworthy:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
fairytoes
Rogue vampire

Post by fairytoes »

Lilly wrote: But, together -- wow -- together they are powerful and tender and all about being close enough to someone that you, without question, know what's in their heart. Each of these people knows different pieces of Mick -- they see different truths to his experience -- yet together they let us see the whole.
Exactely what Lilly said!

Absolutely awesome and wonderful answer to the challenge, allegrita. :notworthy: :notworthy: Thank you sooo much. :flowers:
Wonderful Banner by Redwinter
Gorgeous Avi by Lilly
Thank you!
choccyterri
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by choccyterri »

:hearts: Alle, these are just great. On there own, they are perfect little insights, but together. :heart: Powerful, and Beth's just breaks your heart with what might have been. :ghug: Wonderful babes... <3 xx :clapping:

“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.”
― Marcus Aurelius.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Thanks, everyone! I'm so glad you like these. :ghug: Maybe it's because I recently wrote down Mick's own reactions to that rooftop picnic (in Unbirthday... but all of the other characters ended up having something to say about it, too.

Luxe, I loved writing Guillermo's voice. I have a bit of a crush on him, especially his sly sense of humor.

grace, wow--yeah, that's pretty much what the show was about, at least that arc of it. And all of us surely love him...

darkstarrising, thank you! I'm so glad you heard them. :happysigh:

francis, it did kinda feel like I was moving a camera around Mick, and that each character saw something different in the experience. Beth doesn't usually do remorse, but in my opinion, she wouldn't be able to hide from this one. Mick DIED for her. How can that not move you?!

Cassy, me too. Soooo much. :sigh:

Lilly, this was a surprise to me, too... I had no ideas for this Challenge, and then last night Josef started talking in my ear. And then Guillermo. So I went looking for Beth, because, well, I like Beth. :laugh: Thank you so much for putting it so beautifully. I didn't realize that was what I was doing... but I think you're right, and I'm so happy it worked.

fairytoes, thanks! I'm so glad you enjoyed reading it. :rose:

choccyterri, aww... :hearts: thanks. I like to think that Beth did a little soul-searching around that time. :brow:
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

:woohoo: :woohoo: A Guillermo short!! We don't have NEARLY enough of those! Love all three of these. :clapping:
banner by Cprav
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

gotta say, "G" is speaking really loudest in my ear.....(so frequently left out of fanfic, thanks for giving him a voice)
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

keeping it short is really a challenge, and I loved them all three. But Beth made drew a plan I already had hoped for...my thoughts exactly..
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

RangerCM, Lucy, and maggatha3, thank you so much for reading and commenting! I've always had a crush on Guillermo... :heart: and I spent a long time trying to think like Beth, so I love to write in her voice.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Alle

This is lovely.

I especially love how the personalities shine through their words.

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix

Return to “Allegrita's Office”