Shock (Mick, PG-13) Champagne Challenge #115

A place for Allegrita's G to PG-13 stories
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Shock (Mick, PG-13) Champagne Challenge #115

Post by allegrita »

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Rating: PG-13

Author's Note: This story was written for Champagne Challenge #115, "Haunted by the Past." It takes place during "The Mortal Cure."

Others have written stories covering this same episode, even the same part of this episode. This story is another take on a well-loved theme, by no means intended to be seen as the only one.

Thank you to Librarian_7 for reading drafts of this story.

Shock

I can barely breathe, barely see, sprawled on the ground in this filthy alley, trying to absorb everything that’s happened. My last sight of Coraline was her beautiful face – immobile, eyes filled with horror. All I could do was watch as she knelt in front of her brother and let him stake her. I lay here helpless as the vampires leapt upward into the dark, moving too fast for me to track them with these human and damaged eyes.

Ouch. Every breath is a stab. I’m pretty sure I’ve got a busted rib or two, and my eye’s starting to swell pretty bad. It’s just starting to sink in, what that means. I’m not healing. I really am human. For now.

It takes a few minutes to gather my courage and roll to my knees, groaning. I stagger to my feet and look around – there’s hardly any evidence of the eerie scene that just transpired. A car with a smashed back window, a crumpled dumpster, a few drops of blood. Coraline’s and mine.

Coraline’s face – I can’t get it out of my mind. In all the years I knew her, I never saw her so terrified. Not even when I staked her and set her on fire. Why did she sacrifice herself for me? Where is Lance taking her? Who is “he”? And what can I do about it? Honestly? Lance scares the crap out of Josef! I didn’t have a chance against him when I was a vampire, and now? It would be suicide. I don’t know… man, what I wouldn’t give for some aspirin…

Well… no use staying here any longer. I guess I’ll go home. My legs don’t work right, and I have to prop myself up against the wall every few feet, trying to catch my breath. The last time I dragged myself home like this, I was full of silver buckshot. Now I’m full of… what? Life? The illusion of life? How long is this gonna last? What’ll happen when it wears off? So many questions I never got a chance to ask her… and now it’s too late.

It takes me half an hour to go a couple of blocks. At last I’m in the hall outside my apartment, fumbling with the remote, stumbling into my sanctuary, shutting the door after me. Home.

I shrug out of my coat, grimacing, and push up my sleeve. There’s the bandage. The place where it started… it feels like a fever, this life spreading through me. It feels like sickness – I haven’t been alive in so long, I’ve forgotten what it’s like, this heat that burns through a human body.

I’ve got to preserve this. I lost Coraline’s blood; maybe I can use mine to find the secret. I’ve got to find the cure. I don’t want to go back… The syringe feels cold in my hand, the pain familiar as the needle goes in. But the wound doesn’t disappear. Oh, yeah. Humans don’t heal. Will I ever get used to this?

Shaking the vial, I watch the red stuff cling to the glass and pool in the bottom. The key to my future? Maybe. My only chance at a future in the light, anyway. I slide open the hidden door and slip my treasure inside.

Oh, man… my belly’s killing me. I lift my shirt; dark purple bruises are starting to bloom across my ribs. But this isn’t bone pain, it’s deep inside. Internal bleeding?

My stomach growls and I start to laugh, then choke it back – laughing hurts. Of course – humans need food! I glance around my sterile kitchen… a jar of fake apples, a few lemons. I never really thought about how much of a giveaway my kitchen is. No human lives here… well, no human lived here till now. Crap, I’m starving.

I call the guard downstairs. “Is there a restaurant around here that delivers?”

“Sure, what do you feel like?”

What do I feel like? Everything. Chinese. Burgers. Fried chicken. Chocolate cake. Ribs – man, I remember how great short ribs used to taste. French fries. Onion rings. Corn on the cob. I swallow a mouthful of saliva.

“I don’t know… I can’t make up my mind.”

He gives me a bunch of numbers and I call ‘em all. While I’m waiting, I drag myself upstairs to the shower. Turn the water up as hot as I can stand it… it stings like hell, but it feels wonderful. I haven’t had a hot shower in 55 years…

Delicious-smelling bags arrive. I fill the table with Styrofoam and cardboard cartons. A bite of this, a bite of that. Oh, man… another bite of that…

Sliced turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy. It’s every Thanksgiving I missed, rolled up into one huge orgy of overeating. Jesus, what a waste of food… I hardly even touched most of ‘em. I pack the boxes into the bags again, call the guard and ask him if he can give it away. Hell yeah, the park’s full of hungry people. I take the bags down the elevator and brush off his questions about my face, saying I ran into a door. Or a dumpster, or maybe a car. Or Lance DuVall’s fist. It’s a good thing Lance doesn’t wear a ring like mine, or I might not have an eye at all. Back in the apartment, I look at my face in the mirror. Crap, I look like hell. I’m gonna have a heck of a shiner tomorrow. Great.

I stagger upstairs to the freezer room and open the lid. Yesterday this would’ve been the perfect place to heal from this beating. Today… it’s alien territory. Well, I guess I’m gonna find out how the couch feels. It takes a long time to go downstairs. I’m really stiffening up.

Everything aches as I lie down and pull the brown afghan up to my chin. I feel like a kid sleeping over on a friend’s couch. Or an out-of-work guitarist crashing at a friend’s pad, whatever. It’s been a long, long time since I slept on something soft.

The living room is alive with shadows from the glass fireplace. Yesterday I could see in the dark as easily as by daylight, maybe easier. Tonight, everything’s distorted. Nothing looks the way it does with the lights on… the dark is unfamiliar, a little scary.

I lie here, staring at the flickering light on the ceiling, thinking about Coraline. Wondering why she came back into my life. To mess with my head? Definitely. To get me back? Yeah, probably. But she’s not the same person she was back then. The day I woke up a monster, she told me she’d given me a great gift; and in all our years together and apart, she never budged on that. She never understood that she’d stolen my life from me, robbed me of my family, my dreams, my future. But today, for the first time, she acknowledged that she made a mistake when she turned me. Shocked the hell out of me.

Maybe I had to go crazy over Coraline one last time to finally get my head straight about her, and to stop blaming her so much. I’m not saying she was right to turn me the way she did. I’ll never forgive her for taking away my choice. But she did give me a great gift. She made it possible for me to live long enough to love Beth. And tonight she gave me a chance for a new future, as a human… for a little while, at least.

So what am I gonna do with this gift? I honestly don’t know. I’m gonna have to figure it out as I go along. One thing I do know: I’m going to live every damn day to its fullest. I just need a little time to wrap my head around all of this. And I wish my ribs didn’t hurt so much. I’ve gotta get some sleep. Tomorrow is Josh’s funeral.

I close my eyes. Without the chill of the freezer, there’s nothing to lull me to sleep but the tiny ticking sound of my watch’s second hand. What was it Josef said about humans listening to the tick-tick-tick of their own looming demise? Every second another step closer to death. I could get used to that…
<>
jen
Cleaner

Re: Shock (Mick, PG-13) Champagne Challenge #115

Post by jen »

Alle, this was fabulous.

Mick was working things out. The changes in Coraline, the changes in himself. He asked questions and we learned about what he felt and what he didn't feel.

Beautiful

:hearts: :flowers: :flowers: :hearts:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

What a wonderful glimpse of Mick through his own eyes!! :rose:

He's human, at least for a little while, and almost immediately finds out what that means. He won't heal, he's lost all his abilities, but the worst thing of all is that he knows there's nothing he can do for Coraline. Not now. Not as a human.
Coraline’s face – I can’t get it out of my mind. In all the years I knew her, I never saw her so terrified. Not even when I staked her and set her on fire. Why did she sacrifice herself for me? Where is Lance taking her? Who is “he”? And what can I do about it? Honestly? Lance scares the crap out of Josef! I didn’t have a chance against him when I was a vampire, and now? It would be suicide. I don’t know… man, what I wouldn’t give for some aspirin…
The way his thoughts go from serious reflection on Coraline's fate and his lack of ability to do anything about it to his wanting aspirin to ease his own pain is so very real.....he's reacting to his own pain. His thoughts continue to bounce back and forth from the serious (does his own blood now hold the key to the cure) to his pain and bruises and how long it took him to get home....just like someone in shock.

Loved the symmetry of his thoughts on Coraline's gifts - the one he never wanted and the one he'd do anything to keep.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Oh, Alle! It's so wonderful to see something new from you. And THIS is just fabulous. :hearts:

This is Mick -- but it's a Mick who's still processing, still trying to piece together what has happened. The memory of what it means to be human is bubbling to the surface and intermingling with thoughts of what this change really means.

So many wonderful lines here, but my favorite was perhaps the most unexpected. This really caught me by surprise and it's an absolutely brilliant tie in...
allegrita wrote: I close my eyes. Without the chill of the freezer, there’s nothing to lull me to sleep but the tiny ticking sound of my watch’s second hand. What was it Josef said about humans listening to the tick-tick-tick of their own looming demise? Every second another step closer to death. I could get used to that…
<>
:heart: I love that.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

:grumble: Lilly stole my comment!

I also found the closing lines of this story particularly powerful...but honestly, the whole thing is spot on.

It's good to see something new from you, and it's very good to be reminded that there are still very basic canonical moments to be dealt with in fic. These fill-in-the-blank stories are always insightful.

:clapping: Alle! And may the writing continue!

Lucky
norsmyth
Kostan Industries intern

Post by norsmyth »

Oh Alle, this was wonderful! :wave: So much emotion and insight in such a short story. :rose: Thanks so much for sharing this one, nice to hear from you again. :hug:
lynnrxgal
Fledgling

Post by lynnrxgal »

Alle, I'm in heaven, and it's Moonlight heaven! This fic is such a wonderful surprise, especially with all the H5O news lately. I'll NEVER forget the characters that we all fell in love with, and you have superbly reminded me tonight! Thank you and hugs to you!

Lynn
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

Amazing how much is in this short piece ... Mick is so human here, but it's so new he keeps being startled over and over, just as he would be after this kind of shock. You've put so many wonderful details in here ... I particularly loved the way he lay in the dark thinking how strange everything looked, after so many years of perfect night vision. But to me the very best part was his thoughts of Coraline, his worries and fears for her, and his realization of the way she had changed. The show skipped over all that and it just felt so wrong -- it's beautiful having it filled in so perfectly!

And what a great line this is for human Mick ...
allegrita wrote:I take the bags down the elevator and brush off his questions about my face, saying I ran into a door. Or a dumpster, or maybe a car.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

This is amazing. I love how Mick is starting to really understand Coraline here. It took a long time but he is starting to "get" her. Just like Coraline realized that Mick was not the type to appreciate the eternal gift.

When his stomach growls it's priceless. I imagine after 55 years of not eating you would forget what hunger felt like and it would be a very hungry body.

I'm so happy to see a new story by you. :clapping:
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

I'm feeling every bump and bruise...poor Mick. This is all we missed in the TV show, thanks!
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

:yahoo: I love this! It's so great. I can feel the hurt of Mick, his confusion about what Coraline did, the regret of being beaten up and the strange exhilaration of being human again. He's taking it all in, thumbing it off and filing it to memory, a chance he won't have again, something to cherish. I love how you filled in the blanks behind the jumbled snippets we got like when he opened his freezer, looked in and closed it again, or when he pigged out. That was such a great sequence, but it lacked a little bit because his voice-over was quiet. You gave it to us, the emotion behind what he did. He was in shock not only from the pain but also from what Coraline revealed and how things changed for him.
Great, great writing! Now it all makes more sense to me. Even why he didn't go for Coraline. He knew he had no chance as a human, and not much of a chance as a vampire, and when he reverted back I guess the trail was cold and he didn't know where to start.
susieb
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by susieb »

What a wonderful fill in the blanks story that fits perfectly in canon, yet explains so much.
Adore this:
Without the chill of the freezer, there’s nothing to lull me to sleep but the tiny ticking sound of my watch’s second hand. What was it Josef said about humans listening to the tick-tick-tick of their own looming demise? Every second another step closer to death. I could get used to that…
:hearts:
Susie

Sometimes the past doesn't catch up with you, it haunts you.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!! The immediacy of this, of his voice here, is just... scrumptious!!!!!
We watched him, briefly, all too briefly, experience this. But now we get a more in-depth Mick's (swollen) eye view. And it's cool!
Every ache, bruise, realization, taste of turkey... soooo immediate, soooo palpable.

:happysigh: :happysigh: :happysigh: :happysigh: :happysigh:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

ITA on the immediacy here - it fits so well with Mick's awareness of his new sensations. I especially loved his reaction to feeling hot again after so many years of cold.

More than anything it is the poignancy of this moment that gets me. So much of what he longed for was finally won:
allegrita wrote:I don’t want to go back…
but, as we know, he just wasn't meant to get his wish. :sadface:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

this is great, Alle. this is the second one I've read of yours where the outcome of the story is known so well, and again I'm amazed at how the quality of your writing keeps me rivetted despite me knowing what happens! The peek you give us of the inside of Mick's head is such a rush. Wonderful stuff.

I'm really glad that here Mick begins to have more forgiving thoughts toward Coraline. I also thought her actions in that episode were about real love rather than manipulation and I do think that in time he would have come to forgive her.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks

Return to “Allegrita's Office”