Drabble: At the Hardwick (Cynthia, rated PG)

A place for Allegrita's G to PG-13 stories
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Drabble: At the Hardwick (Cynthia, rated PG)

Post by allegrita »

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's note: Here's a motel-inspired drabble, featuring Cynthia. Rated PG for a mild swear word.

This story was originally posted at the Moonlightaholics Motel on March 16, 2009.

At the Hardwick

I recline in a lovely bowl of a tub, the ice cooling me, offering respite from this stupid, stinking city—where she insists on staying, despite my entreaties. The city she haunts because of him.

I spirited her away from that hospital just in time; she was awakening to herself again. She’s in the lab, fretting, disrupting my staff. Why does she not trust me to do this for her? She knows I can refuse her nothing. Yet she paces, unsettling the technicians and terrifying the lab animals. Such a panther.

Damn it, there’s the door. What is it now?
<>
bluedahlia3
Rogue vampire
Location: Strolling down a foggy street, collar popped up, emoting cigarette smoke

Re: Drabble: At the Hardwick (Cynthia, rated PG)

Post by bluedahlia3 »

Good job and I love the inclusion of the photo. :dracula:
"I'm only wearing black until they come up with something darker." LaCroix
Forever grateful to Trevor Munson for his gift.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Lovely, allegrita. Cynthia is doing everything for Coraline, and yet there is no thanks and no acknowledgement. She's still the devoted servant. No wonder she is so short with Mick, they must have battled for Coraline in their time.
Nice how this little scene adds to the whole episode.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

bluedahlia3, thank you! I like the picture too--it helps set the mood. :)

francis, thanks for your insight. I agree, Mick and Cynthia have a history. They don't agree where Coraline is concerned. Cynthia's obvious animosity toward Mick has to come from somewhere, after all! :snicker:
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

oooh... I loved it Alle. I think you caught her just right.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

A wonderfully written piece, it captures Cynthia perfectly and her relationship with Coraline is full of Coraline's contradictions. :heart: Well done!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :whistle: :devil: :sigh: :angel: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :hyper2: :hyper2: :notworthy: :flowers:

mitzie :mooncat:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Luxe de Luxe and mitzie, thank you so much! What a pleasure to have an old story bubble up to the top of the Active Topics list. :rose: I felt Cynthia invade me like a muse in this story, so I'm really happy you two enjoyed my take on her icy thoughts... :flowers:
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

Cynthia was suffering... her feelings for Coraline were much stronger, she was depending on her and would accept anything coming from Coraline , just because it was from Coraline. It hurts when you do not receive the love you give, and when others do not cherrish what you would have...given the chance.
I loved the clear reading of Cynthia's mind, the way she looked at Mick and talked to him when she got out of that tub...these must have been her thoughts right then..And I so love that this series was so deep and full of meanings that every single moment has so much to tell about, think about, dream about... :cloud9:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Interesting to see what Cynthia may have been thinking before Mick knocked on her door. I also find it interesting that we never saw Coraline and Cynthia in a scene together other than the flashback of Coraline and her brothers in France, yet we all feel how powerfully they must have been connected for Cynthia to do what she did for Coraline. This drabble helps give us insight on why that might have been.

And I love the accompanying photo, too!
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

maggatha3 and Moonlighter, thank you both for your wonderful comments. I love Cynthia - she was only a minor character in terms of screen time, but she made a huge impact. There was obviously so much to her relationship with Coraline... and exploring that relationship is wonderful, because the possibilities are endless. She's obviously smart (multiple degrees), and her antipathy toward Mick was just palpable, onscreen... the rest is pretty much open to interpretation. And that makes for a lot of fanfic opportunities. :teeth:

Return to “Allegrita's Office”