First Sight (PG, Champagne Challenge #159)

A place for Allegrita's G to PG-13 stories
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

First Sight (PG, Champagne Challenge #159)

Post by allegrita »

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The plot is the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's note: This story was written for Champagne Challenge #159 and is rated PG.

First Sight

He stood out. Even in that atrocious shirt, he shone like a diamond on a dungheap. I’m not sure exactly what it was about him; he was handsome, but so are a million other men. No, there was something compelling about him — the way he held himself, the tilt of his head, the expression on that handsome face. There was a touch of arrogance in the curl of his lip, but his eyes held a depth of experience I’ve rarely seen in a mortal, especially one so young.

He looked… dangerous.

And I was in the mood to play with fire.
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: First Sight (PG, Champagne Challenge #159)

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Oh, wonderful! :clapping: And Coraline, with her sights on her prize, starts laying plans to get him. Little did she know that one day Mick would be the one to play with fire.

Great job, Alle! :thumbs:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Ohmygosh! This is fabulous! :yahoo:

Alle, you set the scene perfectly with your first 5 sentences, lit a fuse with the sixth, and then -- bang -- sent the sparks flying with the last. :notworthy: Such great impact with so few lines. Really, really nice!
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I love this. The shirt was atrocious but she knew interesting when she saw it. :hearts:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Lovely, alle :ghug: I can see Coraline mentally sizing Mick up, countering the negatives with the positives. In the end, sparkler in hand, she decides to play with a greater fire. Little did she know what playing with fire would get her.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Alle, this is lovely!

Certainly, Coraline was attracted by Mick's looks, but there was much more to it than that, even in those first few moments.

Those last two fabulously explosive lines describe the tone of what comes next and brilliantly foreshadow the end of their marriage.

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
diane31
Fledgling

Post by diane31 »

Oh yes this so well describes Coraline's state of mind... and with these oh so chilling last lines you really bring home what I tend to forget when thinking about it: it's not just for Mick that it is a dark meeting with destiny! :twothumbs: :rose:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Thanks very much, everyone! :ghug: I had so much fun making the story fit into the strict requirements of the challenge. :quill: Sometimes, whittling an idea down into its essence makes the end result really potent. All of the Challenge entries have felt this way to me. I hope lots of people contribute to it--it's a great writing exercise!
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Ohhh this so Coraline. What spark did she see there that led her down a very dangerous path.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Nicely done!

This challenge is...challenging. :teeth:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Thanks Carol and Lucky! It is challenging, isn't it?? But lots of fun, and it feels so great to finish a story. :highfive:
LaughtersMelody
Freelance freshie

Post by LaughtersMelody »

I loved this! :teeth:

I've always thought that was one of the things Coraline liked about Mick. He has a dangerous edge to him, even if it's usually buried in his kindness. But it's definitely there. I wonder if that was one of the things that horrified Mick when he became a vampire...suddenly that side of him was unleashed. Coraline thought it was wonderful, but Mick... :Mickangel:

Fantastic work! :clapping:

-Laughter

My Fanfiction Office.

Jesus is Lord.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Thanks, Laughter! Yes, I agree with you--I think Coraline was attracted to a side of Mick that was definitely there, but that he didn't like much about himself. And when she turned him, that aspect of his personality became the dominant one. It must have horrified him. And yet she wasn't wrong--what she saw was real. But it was only a part of what made him special. And she never understood why he didn't embrace it. :sigh:

Sometimes I wonder, if Coraline had met Mick before the war, before his experience of all that death and suffering, and the loss of his best friends... I wonder if he would have taken to vampirism more readily...?

Return to “Allegrita's Office”