Red (Mick, PG-13, Champagne Challenge #153)

A place for Allegrita's G to PG-13 stories
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Red (Mick, PG-13, Champagne Challenge #153)

Post by allegrita »

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The plot is the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's note: This story has been trying to force its way out of my head since early December, but I just didn't have time to sit down and take notes. It was inspired by the "Red and Green" Champagne Challenge, #153. Thanks so much to Lilly for reading it, and offering (as usual) excellent advice. :hug:

Red

I always liked the color, especially on women. A pretty girl in a figure-hugging red dress could always catch my eye. But after I was turned? Red took on a whole new meaning. It was life—death—seduction—betrayal— the worst kind of pain and the most intense pleasure. I can’t explain it exactly. But believe me, if you’re alive, you really don’t wanna know. And if you’re like me, well, you’ve got it as bad as I do.

Let’s just say that for a vampire, red glows with power and vitality. It’s the brightest crayon in the box, the most vivid hue in the palette. It jumps out at us. We can’t help but notice and be attracted to it. I figure it’s a survival thing. When blood is food and sex rolled into one irresistible package, you’d better be equipped to find it. And just as our noses can detect the slightest hint of it in the vicinity, our eyes are drawn to it like a moth is drawn to a flame. Trouble is, there are a lot of red things in the world that have nothing to do with food, and they shine just as bright. It tends to make some of us a little obsessive about the color. Some of us drive red Ferraris. Some dress in red as much as possible. Me? Well, put it this way. The most dangerous thing in the world to a vampire is fire…and my fireplace is red.

The night I met Coraline, she was shimmering from shoulder to calf in just the kind of dress I liked best. Fitted to every gorgeous curve, deep red silk with little beads and sequins sewn all over it. And matching shoes. She was carrying a sparkler when she sashayed past me, but she was hotter. That was the old me, but like I said—I always liked women in red.

The morning I woke up a vampire, my most vivid memory is of her beautiful white wedding dress stained with splashes and spatters of the most intense, burning red. That color, and the smell of my own blood, filled my whole mind. All my senses were in overdrive, but the blood was a thousand times brighter than the sun that burned me.

And from that moment on, red became the color of everything important, good and bad. I craved it. Enough that I was willing to kill for it. And not just for blood. We were at Ciro’s one night, sipping martinis and star-watching, and she pointed out a woman wearing a ruby necklace. It was all I could do to stop myself from tearing it off her neck right there on the dance floor, but Coraline turned it into a lesson in delayed gratification. When the woman and her date left, I followed them to a quiet area and murdered them both, just to get that necklace for Coraline. That was what she wanted from me, what I spent years trying to be. My whole relationship with her was stained red. She liked to bring out my vicious side. And to tell the truth, it wasn’t that hard, especially at first. The rage was always there, and it made quite a cocktail mixed with anger at the mess my life had turned out to be, and the insane level of lust I had for her. I was constantly on the edge, fangs aching in my jaw. I wanted to bite and tear and gulp down every drop of humanity I saw. And I wanted to bite and tear and punish her, too. You wouldn’t believe the things we did together, the wounds we inflicted on each other, or the pleasure, either. And she loved me for it. She reveled in it.

But not me. It wasn’t long before I got disgusted with myself and with her. And I started trying to get away. I went back too many times to count, but I always wanted to escape. And when I finally broke away for good, the first thing I did was to eliminate that color from my life as much as I could. I bought a dark green car, stuck to neutral colors in my wardrobe, and for a long time I didn’t allow a touch of red into my personal space.

But… let’s face it, there’s no getting away from red. Over the years, I’ve allowed it to creep back into my life. I even own one very comfortable item of red clothing. And I can’t escape the reddest thing there is. Even dead blood in plastic bags is beautiful, shining like nothing else. Try as I might, I can never really get away from that color. And since I had that flirtation with humanity a few weeks ago, I’ve acquired a new appreciation for it. When I saw Beth in that skin-tight satin dress at Josef’s party the other night, it was almost like old times. For a second, I was just a guy looking at a pretty girl in a slinky red dress. Of course, Beth’s not just a pretty girl. She’s the girl who showed me the way back.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Red (Mick, PG-13, Champagne Challenge #153)

Post by cassysj »

I love the fact that both Coraline and Beth wore red and how Mick can admit that it's the most important color. :hearts:
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Well, OMG, Alle - this is INCREDIBLE. :clapping: :notworthy:

In a short piece, you sum up Mick perfectly.
My whole relationship with her was stained red.

THIS. This is perfect, the summation of that whole screwed-up relationship between Mick and his sire. I've always felt Mick burned hot even before he was Turned, and adding the vampire to the hot blood of the man just made him that much more dangerous.

Bravo, babe! :cheer:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

My whole relationship with her was stained red.
This is the line to end all lines.

It's amazing how this many years later, not only are the stories you write still so great, but I can find something new in them to pondered. Case in point: your paragraph regarding Mick's lust for Cora. It hit me out of the blue (or should I say, red :laugh: ) that his obsessive lust for her coincided with his being a newborn vampire. Yes, he was attracted to her before, but the uncontrollable desire came later. This thought always lurked in the back of my mind, but your story really brought it to the forefront. He was just a guy who was in love with a girl, had great chemistry with her. Then she took away his humanity and he spiraled. The insane lust and craziness came after.

Till just another girl came along and he became just a guy again, and fell in love. :heart:

Beautiful job honey. :hearts:

Edited to add: haha! PGal and I--great minds think alike!!
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Mick's voice is SO strong here. Alle, you did an incredible job of capturing it in a moment of introspection. Like most of his voiceovers, his tone is casual. He's explaining things -- what it's like to be a vampire -- to the "listener," but even as he imbues his tale with depth and remorse, he also weaves in irony and his own dry humor. He confirms for us what we might have always suspected about what drove him and what changed him.

This phrase is one of my favorites. It just rings so true. Brilliant choice. :notworthy:
allegrita wrote:Let’s just say that for a vampire, red glows with power and vitality. It’s the brightest crayon in the box...
And this... this gave me the most wonderful goosebumps.
allegrita wrote:For a second, I was just a guy looking at a pretty girl in a slinky red dress. Of course, Beth’s not just a pretty girl. She’s the girl who showed me the way back.
I can hear his voice. I can see his eyes. :hearts: It kind of felt like old times. Thank you so much for that. :flowers:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

I can't add much to what everyone else has already said. This was excellent! And I had never connected before both Coraline and Beth in red dresses.

Great job! :twothumbs:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

You have done an extraordinary job of catching Mick's voice--which isn't always easy.

Bravissima! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Thank you so much, everyone! :hearts: :ghug: This story was inspired by the Challenge, but it stems back from something that fascinated me when the show first aired--the way the show depicted how vampires see blood, especially in Dr. Feelgood. When a human was looking at it, it was regular old dark-red blood. When a vampire was looking at it, it popped out of the picture.

As an example, look at this transfusion bag seen from a human's POV:

and then a few frames later, as seen by Dr. Pollack:

And remember when Coraline brought newly turned Mick the woman to feed on? Everything else in that scene was very blued out, but the blood on Mick's mouth was so vivid.

Anyway, I guess the Red and Green Challenge got that idea rumbling around in my brain, because I woke up one morning with this voiceover in my head... Mick's attempt to explain what red means to a vampire. And specifically, what it meant in terms of his relationship to Coraline. I'm so glad you all liked it. It took a long time for me to get a chance to write it down, but I'm very glad I did.
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Alle, this is really fantastic!

I like how you show Mick's relationship with the color and how it changes over time. Starting as a healthy red-blooded American boy, then the descent into obsession followed by redemption.

As others have said, this is the line of this fic.
allegrita wrote: My whole relationship with her was stained red.
allegrita wrote:Well, put it this way. The most dangerous thing in the world to a vampire is fire…and my fireplace is red.

This is so telling. It gives such insight into Mick's mental state - and his sense of irony. Quiet, but powerful.

I like. :twothumbs:
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

What everyone said!!!

I'd never put it together either...Coraline in the sparkling red dress playing with fire or many kinds (most of which seemed to burn Mick) and Beth, also in red. She started a few conflagurations of her own, but her influence was healing.

Fabulous!

Thank you!
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
choccyterri
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by choccyterri »

:hug: Oh Alle, I LOVE this... The way you describe Mick's relationship with both, beautiful women. The way the colour effects him? And now that we see the very way red was represented in the show! Just fab, lovely!

Hee... I had drawn a parallel between Mick's lady's in red a long while ago in a banner. But your words, and deep thoughtfulness of how the colour effected his whole being. Wow... it puts it all into a very fresh perspective. :heart:
Thank you so much for sharing babes!! :rose:

“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.”
― Marcus Aurelius.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

nutmegger911, jen, and choccyterri, thank you so much! :ghug: I'm really glad you appreciated my take on Mick's feelings about red, and the women in red who influenced him over the years.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Love this, alle ! :hug:

The comparison of Beth and Coraline in their respective red dresses gives an insight into Mick's feelings about his life. With Coraline, his human life ended and immortality commenced, but at high price - feeding off the living. When Mick decided to turn from the life Coraline planned for him, he banished red from his life. With Beth loving him for who he is, he's not afraid to let red back in, for it's no longer represents something he hates.

This is my favorite passage:
Trouble is, there are a lot of red things in the world that have nothing to do with food, and they shine just as bright. It tends to make some of us a little obsessive about the color. Some of us drive red Ferraris. Some dress in red as much as possible. Me? Well, put it this way. The most dangerous thing in the world to a vampire is fire…and my fireplace is red.
How like Mick - to have the thing most dangerous for him be the center of his home, a constant reminder that he really isn't immortal.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

This is awesome, allegrita. After all this time you capture Mick's voice with such accurracy and depth. I love how you tie everything in his life to this color, the color of life and of anger and rage and despair. You really capture the essence of Mick's senses when he became a vampire, and how he tried to get away from that life. I love how it all ends with Beth and some sort of calm that doesn't need any more explanation than that one sentence.

:hearts:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

DSR and francis, thanks so much! I'm so glad you liked this. :hearts:

Return to “Allegrita's Office”