Trust (Beth and Steve, PG-13, Champagne Challenge #154)

A place for Allegrita's G to PG-13 stories
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Trust (Beth and Steve, PG-13, Champagne Challenge #154)

Post by allegrita »

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The plot is the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's note: This 500-word conversation takes place just before the final scene of Doctor Feelgood. This story was written for Champagne Challenge #154, “New Year, New Life.” Rated PG-13. Beth and Steve talk about the big changes she's been going through lately, and she asks his advice.

Trust

“Hello?”

“Hey, Beth.”

“Hi Steve, what’s up?”

“I was wondering when you wanted to film the next segment for the mauling story.”

“Oh. Oh, yeah. I don’t know if there’s gonna be another segment. Uh, Carl seems to think the guy’s moved on.”

“Seriously? Just like that? How can he be sure? Anyway, Mo wants to spin this thing out for at least a few more days. You got tons of hits.”

“I did? Cool! Okay, let’s get together later. I kinda got a late start. Couldn’t sleep.”

“Ohhhh, so Josh stayed over, I take it.”

“Stop that! I thought we had a strict no-prying policy.”

“Sorry, sorry. No prying, honest. It’s just that, well, I hope nothing’s wrong between you two?”

“No. It’s just… all the stuff that’s been going on, you know, finally going on-camera, and getting attacked by the Grad Student of Darkness, and the thing with Julia’s maniac serial killer. I’ve just been kinda… distracted.”

“Distracted? I’m surprised you haven’t been to a shrink! Your life has definitely gotten interesting. In the Chinese Curse sense.”

“A shrink? No way! You know me, nothing gets me down for long. I’ll be fine.”

“Okay…”

“Hey, Steve?”

“Yeah?”

“Have you ever had a problem with a source? Somebody you thought you were really developing a rapport with, and suddenly they go cold on you?”

“What are you talking about, that guy who saved you? The PI? What’s wrong, did he tell you to stop dogging his every move or something?”

“Hey, that’s not fair. I’m just being a good reporter. And besides, if I hadn’t been dogging his every move, he’d be…”

“Yeah, well, maybe that’s the problem, Beth. Some guys don’t like to be beholden to a woman. Especially a woman who might compromise their confidentiality, you know? And don’t forget, the P stands for Private. Maybe he’s just trying to avoid getting too close. To anybody.”

“Yeah… maybe that’s it. I don’t know… we were just starting to get comfortable with each other, and then boom, he pretty much shoved me out the door and turned about a million locks.”

“What did I tell you, he’s spooked. He probably isn’t very good with people. Guys like that, they usually work alone for a reason. Just leave him alone for a few days and see if he contacts you.”

“Well, maybe…”

“Or hey, you never know, you might run into him, investigating some murder or other. You two sure seem to share a taste for blood.”

“What?! Eew! Don’t say that!”

“Sorry! Geez, I was just kidding, don’t bite my head off. I just meant, you two keep meeting up at crime scenes, so maybe you will again.”

“Okay… I just wish I could figure out how to get him to trust me. We were working so well together, and then bam.”

“There’ll be other sources, Beth.”

“Not like this guy. Oh, I’ve gotta go, someone’s at the door.”

“Okay. See you around six at the studio.”

“Bye.”
maggatha3
Ancient

Re: Trust (Beth and Steve, PG-13, Champagne Challenge #154)

Post by maggatha3 »

My first reading for the new year, thanks Alle!!! :highfive: Steve and Beth always seemed to have a great way with eachother. Beautifully done!

Beth seems to be trying to figure things out in a 'humanly' logical way! Well, she 's got one thing right!
Not like this guy...
And Steve...does he know too much? :chin: Or maybe he can tell the future?

If only either of them knew how 'spooked' and also how 'private' this PI is....

:rose:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
choccyterri
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by choccyterri »

:hug: Alle, I love this! Our inquisitive reporter's mind is working overtime. And her using sidekick Steve as a sounding board is fab... ( I love Steve! :teeth: ) Hee. I really enjoyed the way he was trying to tell her to back off, in the way a guy would. Maybe he's trying to be subtle? :snicker: But I think the tenacious, and possibly a little bit attracted part of her doesn't want to.

Aww, and thank goodness she ended the call before she opened the door. The explanation to Steve as to who was standing there would be priceless!

Thank you for sharing lovely! It's a wonderful insight into what was going on in Beth's mind. :flowers:

“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.”
― Marcus Aurelius.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I love your Beth! This is just too cute and very real to both characters. So nice to have a new story from you.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Thank you so much, ladies, for your wonderful comments! :ghug: :hearts:

maggatha3, I think Steve just knows how guys in general feel about things... although I agree, some of the things he whispered in my ear made me go :gasp: I think it was just coincidence, though. :laugh: Thank you so much for choosing my story as your first one of the new year--that makes me very happy. :hearts:

choccyterri, I love Steve too, and it made me happy to hear his voice in my head. I agree, maybe Steve was a little too subtle in suggesting that Beth give Mick some space. But then again, when does she listen to good advice anyway? :winky: And yeah, I think part of the reason she's a bit miffed at the way Mick dismissed her was that she's definitely very intrigued by him, and not just because he has a big secret. (And who can blame her?) :melts:

cassysj, what a nice thing to say, thank you! It's always so fun when a story just pops out like this. I think your Challenge story inspired me to write mine, because it wasn't long after I read yours that mine started writing itself in my head. :yes: Dialogue is so much fun, but I agree with you, 500 words is a lot of conversation with no stage directions allowed! It was fun to do, though. I hope I get inspired to do more! :teeth:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Wonderful, alle! :hug:

Steve was a character I wish they'd kept in the series...he was almost a big brother type to Beth, showing her the ropes, yet trying to keep her out of trouble. Key word is trying. The conversation between the two here shows how comfortable they are with each other, Beth asking for advice and Steve giving it in between the playful banter.

Loved Steve's comment about Beth and Mick.
You two sure seem to share a taste for blood.
Of course he meant it figuratively, but knowing what she did, Beth took it literally. :snicker:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Alle

This is wonderful!

I agree with DSR in wishing that Steve had continued with the show. He was one of the soundest, most grounded personalities around and seeing how he would react to things would have been interesting. Then again, he was also so perceptive that he may have several unknown brushes with the tarpits courtesy of Mr. Paranoia. This story displays his sound judgment and good sense. That would have been sorely needed.

Fabulous!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I love this glimpse into Beth's life outside of Mick. We haven't seen very much of that. She surely had friends. It must have been a bit hard to Keep this enormous secret of knowing about Mick's "condition" and not being able to talk to anybody about it.
Great Story! :rose:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

DSR, I'm glad you liked that little in-joke. I was hoping it would resonate. :laugh: I really loved the relationship between Steve and Beth, and I agree that they should have kept him. I guess Kevin Weisman was just too much in demand for them to keep him without giving him a contract. Too bad... he would have been money well spent.

Jenna, thank you so much for your comments. Maybe you're right--Steve was smart enough to make those connections. Maybe if he'd stuck around, Josef would have gotten paranoid! :eek2: I sure don't want Steve to visit the tar pits. :gasp:

francis, I am so glad you enjoyed it! I love to flesh out the characters and give them a "life" outside what we saw on the show. I agree that Beth would have a problem keeping all that knowledge a secret!! Maybe she would confide a bit in Steve, a mentor and friend. I like to think so, anyway. :hearts:
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Now that I got my fic up, I can read everyone else's. :phew:

Alle, I love this. I LOVE this relationship between Beth and Steve...you gotta figure they'd be close because of how they work together. I always loved Steve and was sorry we didn't see more of him. :yes:

Steve's got Beth nailed down pat:
allegrita wrote:“What are you talking about, that guy who saved you? The PI? What’s wrong, did he tell you to stop dogging his every move or something?”

“Hey, that’s not fair. I’m just being a good reporter.
He's seen enough to know she's stubborn and won't let go of something. And he seems to have a great handle on Mick as well.

Just so well-done, babe. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Thanks so much, Pgal! :hug: I really enjoyed writing Beth and Steve. I might have another one rattling around in my head... let's see if I manage to write it down. :quill:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I really like your Beth and Steve.

Return to “Allegrita's Office”